Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Benson803   Rjworley   Steadfast   Benson803   Steadfast   Vers  

Member  Message

Benson803
View Profile

Why is my geyri active but my philbyi not?

My geyri is very very active during the day. he eats (alot) and is very playful and enjoys basking. My philbyi on the other hand is the opposite. he doesnt play, he basks for maybe 15-30 minutes once or twice daily and he eats very little. he just hides all day. ive tried everything from changing the bulbs, changing the placement and distance of his bulbs and ive even rearranged his tank several times. someone please shed some light on this for me.
thanks

08/11/13  09:40pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2300380

Well changing all of his bulbs and rearranging his enclosure might be stressful on the little guy. Could you please fill out the questionaire so we can get a little more information.

08/12/13  10:40am

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2300386

Yes. The questionnaire would be helpful. Are they kept in the same cage? If they are the Geyri could be intimidating and scaring the philbyi. I would try separating them. Or if they are separated and the cages are facing each other it could be enough to stress the phyilbyi.

08/12/13  11:23pm

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Steadfast   In reference to Message Id: 2300399

This is far from my first post therefore the questionaire is unnecessary. of course they are separate. cages do not face eachother. should my philbyi’s tank vary in temperature from my geyris? they are exactly the same setup. 60w outdoor lamp, t5 full tank uvb bulbs mounted within the tank (at proper range of course) sasking spot is around 120 degrees F’ , hot side and cool side hides. the usual.

08/13/13  12:30am

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2300400

The setups will be the same. Might try bumping the basking spot to 130. Personally.. I don’t use UVB bulbs. I supplement calcium. But others will argue that. I personally have had problems in the past with UVB bulbs but that’s just my experience. Your Arabian could be still getting use to the cage and set up. Keep check on its weight. Make sure it doesn’t lose any. If it isn’t losing weight then I wouldn’t worry to much. I have two Arabians but mine are very active and are normally the first ones out waiting for me to bring there food in the morning. Both are females and are housed together with an ornate and they all do amazing together. I wouldn’t recommend this for everyone but mine are doing wonderful together. Each uro is different. How old are your uros and what are there sexes? And weight?

08/13/13  08:41am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2300380

Although there are many possibilities stress and or parasites are what stand out most in such cases. Have you had a fecal exam performed lately? Have you frightened or subjected the animal to stressors that would cause the animal to lose trust? Changing the layout could definitely trigger stress, almost like hitting a reset button. With that said I’ve found that many of the animals I keep have different levels and patterns of activity that fluctuate throughout the year. Hiding most of the day certainly isn’t uncommon for some of them, especially more skittish individuals. I’m not sure if this would be considered ’normal’ activity by other keepers’ standards but it certainly seems so in my experience; Although its not a consistent behavior it does happen from time to time.

08/16/13  09:27am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area