Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SocksandJammies   Takahiro111   Hippo130   Sie fat uro   SocksandJammies   Sie fat uro  

Member  Message

SocksandJammies
View Profile

Questions about Ocellated Uros

Hi everyone, I’ve been on this forum for a few years (albeit under a different account name)

I yearned to buy a uro but never did because i decided A) No where to buy them in Canada and B) I wasn’t mature enough (pre teen at the time) Things have changed though, and I found a breeder in Montreal who has (all captive bred): Saharans, Ornate, Ocellated, Rainbows and Arabian Blue Uros. I’m most interested in the ocellated because of their low sexual dimorphism (Don’t have to sink a couple hundred bucks to learn I got a rusty brown female instead of a beaut male).

I’ve only just reconsidered because on Doug Dix page he claims the hatchlings (What I’d be getting) aren’t very hardy. I don’t want to buy a uro just to slowly watch it die because I’m not good enough. Also, I’ve heard that ocellateds tend to be shy and can be very skittish.

Would an ocellated be alright for my first uro, or should I seriously reconsider?

08/02/13  06:12pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: SocksandJammies   In reference to Message Id: 2300163

The set up is very expensive,need higher temps to thrive and are vegetarians and day to day may run up your house bills.

08/02/13  10:15pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2300169

Thank you, I understand that, I understand uro care as I’ve been researching them on and off for a couple of years now, my question was more referring to whether or not u. ocellata hatchlings really were too delicate for a first uro, or if I’d be able to get by.

08/02/13  11:55pm

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2300172

anything is possible for a first time apart from the obvious extremes if you’ve done enough research and prepare well enough. its more whether you are willing to provide it with more care and put in the time to keep it healthy and also to tame them down as they can be more flighty and highly strung than other species and due to their size be more delicate... meaning they require more time and patience in my experience and never become as trusting as some other sp in my experience. But they can get to the stage where they don’t mind being handled will eat treats from your hands once you have built up trust over several years. however all this depends on the individual animal so not all will tame to the same level.
But i do not think that they deserve the reputation they are given as being so bad for a first uro as my first 2 uro’s were both ocellated and have been with me for the past 9 years and became trusting of us within several moths because the shop we got them form gave us good advise regarding housing etc and had conditioned them well form a young age which i think makes a big difference as to their temperament how well they settle in. Moreover one of the most important things for you to do is see the animal in person try to see how well it reacts to people and how well it eats and if it is a good weight and condition if all these things are good then you should have no real problems to worry about.

08/21/13  12:13pm

SocksandJammies
View Profile

Message To: Sie fat uro   In reference to Message Id: 2300557

Thanks siefaturo, that’s good to hear, as I exercised some self confidence and decided to believe in myself and buy one. I don’t have him/her yet, I’m picking it up at the next expo here in Ontario that the breeder and I will both be going to. I’m very excited, he or she looks like a healthy uro from what I’ve seen so far.

Link

Theres a link to one of the images of the baby, it was one of the fatter ones from the clutch and seemed to have very few wrinkles in its skin, so that’s why I chose this individual, as well, the breeder believes it to be male (I know that it’s not certain, but apparently this breeder has a very high success rate with sexing, even when uro’s are young). Sorry about the watermark, not trying to make an advertisement, the picture is from the breeders website so I guess the watermark is on there so it’s not stolen or whatever.

Is there any different care needs you’ve experienced with ocellated uros that set it apart from others?
From what I’ve read most uro species can be kept in the same conditions (not terrariums, but conditions as in light heat food etc) except for the egyptian of course, but if there is anything I should look out for I’d like to know.

Sorry for any typos got a much more compact keyboard and I’m still getting used to it.

08/21/13  05:20pm

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: SocksandJammies   In reference to Message Id: 2300564

the only thing i would say is to make sure there is plenty of cover for them they feel more comfortable if they have the option to run somewhere and will also usually be a bit more confident in their demeanor if they do. i have created tunnels under slate and cork throughout most of their enclosures which they seem to enjoy excavating and reforming.
he looks on good shape from that picture and also yes most experienced breeders can tell relatively accurately what sex an animal is form a young age. good luck with him

08/22/13  06:15am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area