Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cassielehman   LookingforUro   Cassielehman   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Cassielehman   Rjworley   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Rjworley   Cassielehman  

Member  Message

Cassielehman
View Profile

Uro treatment plz help!! mbd

ok for the last few days i had posted about my uro sunny. i believe i know what it is i called my vet but they are closed due to a few problems with their buildin but i called his personal phone and explained my uros synthems and sent photo he called and said he thinks its mbd but had to go so he couldn’t tell me a treatment. so i am in dire need of help!! i dont understand how my uro could have gotten it. maybe his previous light was messed up im not sure. but are there any ways i could help my poor uro plz help

07/22/13  03:41pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299851

There is a "Please read before posting" that has a questionaire. Filling that out will give us the info we need to help you. Also pictures are very helpful.

07/23/13  01:10am

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299865

i filled thst out three times and no one could help -3- but ok...
1) How long have you owned the animal
one year next week

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
hes in a 8 foot long 4 foot wide 2 foot tall enclosure

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
nigirian yellow uro

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
he was liveing with a female till she died of a inpacted gut and died during treatment hes now by himself

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
118 mesured with a eco life thermomiter gun

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
basking stays at 118-120 rest stays around 80 and at night it goes to about 70-75

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
its uvb its about a week old now and its 10 inches from him at his basking location

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
he is fed wih tortoise pelets along with a spring mix salad same that i feed my iguana he is fed twice a day

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used
i give him one cricket ever 2 weeks in a calcium powder

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand
its washed play sand

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot…. he gets out of his hide at 9 in the morning about 10 mins after i turn on his light. he basks for about 30 mins to an hour befor he begins eating at 10-11 from that point he normaly goes around his cage 5-10 times befor going back to his basking spot at 1 and stays there for about 2 hours befor going to his hide and siting halfway put watching the activitys of my room befor basking again at 4. he stays for 30 mins befor i bring him his second meal at 5 and stays near his food till 6 when he goes around his cage till 7 then goes to his hide for the night.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
he is a healthy eater he recently got over an illness and now hes eating two times a day and finnishes almost all of the food i give him witch is about half a cup

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
i put him in a much larger cage recently but he acted normal till recently hes been basking alot more then normal but continued to eat at his normal times then i knotices a bump right below his eye when he began shedding and hes been holding his legs behind him when he lays down instid of beside him like normal. then his left eye were the bump is isent opening properly and looks like there is alot of distarge holding it shut. i touched the bump but he didnt flinch away or anything so idk if its hurting him

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling. i handle him once a day when i clean his sand to get any old food of fecal matter out

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.
i take him to the vet once a month his last checkup was a week ago right befor the bump showed up and he had a fecal check done and the vet said he was exstreamly healthy

07/23/13  07:14am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299867

So it sounds like the only odd things are the bump by his eye and how he is holding his legs? The bump probably needs to be assessed by your vet.. the legs don’t really sound to suspicious on their own.. especially since he is walking around his enclosure like normal. When Gordo stops to bask his legs sort of just go any which way... the same with my beardie. I can find their legs in all sorts of weird positions.

Was their anything other than that concerning you?

07/23/13  01:58pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299879

If you are convinced its mbd you could buy a solar meter and test his lighting. Are you dusting his food with a calcium supplement? Good lighting and proper calcium:phosphorus ratio is all you need to avoid mbd.

07/23/13  02:02pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299880

i think his bulbs i had befor i changed them where messed up. i swiched to new ones resently and i do dust his food.

07/23/13  02:17pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299881

Okay... First how did your other uro get impaction? Second, you need to bring the basking spot to the upper 120’s. Third, bring your night temperatures up to low-mid 80’s. Fourth, What "messed up" uvb lights did he have? What did you change them to? Please state whether you are used a CFL or a fluorescent tube, if you are using a fluorescent tube how long please let us now what it is. DO NOT FEED CRICKETS. Crickets should never be fed to a uro. What was his illness he just got over?

You said you put him in a new enclosure? Did you build the enclosure? Or was it another reptiles enclosure? (if you built it, what materials did you use? If it was another reptiles enclosure, what kind of reptile was it? And did you clean it well?)

07/23/13  04:17pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299883

when my vet checked her body he found a peice of reptile carpet she managed to get ( it was in a issolation tank i used when i cleaned their tank. it has been taken care of.) the temps have been fixed and it was a exo terra bulbs i ordered. it may have been damaged during delivery im not sure but iv swiched them to Zoo Med 150 watt basking bulb and i use both cfl and fluorescent. there all zoo med. and he had tail rot due to miss information that has been cleared up. its a large fish tank i bought no other reptiles have been in it besides my uro.

07/23/13  04:42pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299889

You need to try to be more specific when you post. With that said, I have a few questions...
-The vet found a piece of reptile carpet where? In its eye?
-You said the animal is a male, but then you say ’her’ when you describe it...which is it?
-What type of ExoTerra bulb? Please provide the model, wattage and distance to the surface.
-What type of ZooMed bulbs? Please provide the model, wattage and distance to the surface.
-What type of CFL and linear fluorescent? How far are they from the closest surface? Are the positioned above screening? What type of fixtures are they in--mirrored, white, open?
-You stated above you have the animal in a fish tank...if your measurements are correct that would be an 8x4x2 foot tank. Are you sure about this?

Again, please try to be as detailed and thorough as possible.

07/23/13  05:02pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299890

ok then.. lets straighten out my answers a bit. i had two uros a male AND female.. female died due to an inpaction... the carpet caused it due to it not being digestible... my male is now sick due to mbd... im not sure of the exo Terra bulbs because i threw them out abot a week and an half ago. as for the zoo med bulbs..
Zoo Med Os-36E8 Repti Sun 10.0 Uvb, 30 Watt, 36-Inch cfl
Zoo Med Powersun UV 100 Watt Bulb basking
Zoo Med Avian Sun 5.0 Uvb Bulb florecent.
they are above screening ecsept for the fluorescent. that is position on a hanger on the cool side becouse the cfl isent long ecough to reach that side. the ficures are white. and yes the mesurments are correct.. i bought it for petspart they use them for turtles and fish.

07/23/13  05:28pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299891

nor for petsmart. from. sorry.

07/23/13  05:32pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299893

ok update on my uro.
he has gained alot of yellow resently so the lights seem to be helping his skin. still no change on his shed tho. it looks like scales may be forming over that bump he has been basking for longer resently and he seems to be useing his eye a bit more. hes slowed down on his eating slightly and the trembling in his leg hasent shown up in the last 15 hours. hes had his new lights for a over 2 and a half weeks

07/24/13  04:02pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299921

You don’t need to worry about the leg thing.. My Uro basks with his arms and legs stretched. Sometimes he’ll put a leg up near his arm when he basks. Whatever is comfortable for him I suppose.

07/24/13  08:24pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299924

alright. i just need help with information of mbd treatments

07/28/13  11:56am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area