Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   OverlordMaddy   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   OverlordMaddy   Cassielehman   OverlordMaddy   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   LogicallyIllogical   UROKEEPER  

Member  Message

Cassielehman
View Profile

Weird bump and eye staying shut help

1) How long have you owned the animal
one year next week

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
hes in a 8 foot long 4 foot wide 2 foot tall enclosure

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
nigirian yellow uro

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
he was liveing with a female till she died of a inpacted gut and died during treatment hes now by himself

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
118 mesured with a eco life thermomiter gun

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
basking stays at 118-120 rest stays around 80 and at night it goes to about 70-75

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
its uvb its about a week old now and its 10 inches from him at his basking location

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
he is fed wih tortoise pelets along with a spring mix salad same that i feed my iguana he is fed twice a day

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used
i give him one cricket ever 2 weeks in a calcium powder

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand
its washed play sand

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot…. he gets out of his hide at 9 in the morning about 10 mins after i turn on his light. he basks for about 30 mins to an hour befor he begins eating at 10-11 from that point he normaly goes around his cage 5-10 times befor going back to his basking spot at 1 and stays there for about 2 hours befor going to his hide and siting halfway put watching the activitys of my room befor basking again at 4. he stays for 30 mins befor i bring him his second meal at 5 and stays near his food till 6 when he goes around his cage till 7 then goes to his hide for the night.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
he is a healthy eater he recently got over an illness and now hes eating two times a day and finnishes almost all of the food i give him witch is about half a cup

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
i put him in a much larger cage recently but he acted normal till recently hes been backing alot more then normal but continued to eat at his normal times then i knotices a bump right below his eye when he began shedding. then his left eye were the bump is isent opening properly and looks like there is alot of distarge holding it shut

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling. i handle him once a day when i clean his sand to get any old food of fecal matter out

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.
i take him to the vet once a month his last checkup was a week ago right befor the bump showed up and he had a fecal check done and the vet said he was exstreamly healthy

07/20/13  07:23pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299751

more information on my uro i have noticed him scraching the bump against his hide

07/20/13  09:19pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299758

i forgot to put some information about his food the spring mix its made up of green leaf lettuce tango lettuce green oak lettuse lollo rossa lettuce ridicchio red romaine lettuce red leaf lettuce red butter lettuce baby spinach red boc choy argula and mizuna and i add in carrots and squash along with dandilions he also has a tourtice pellet feed ground into his last meal of the day and i also drip in un flavored pedialyte mixed with water for him is this diet ok?

07/21/13  10:19am

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299778

Exactly what kind of UVB bulb are you using? I highly doubt it’s the UVB bulb causing the problem if it’s only been on him a week but it’d still be nice to know.

07/21/13  11:12am

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2299781

Zilla 11968 Desert 50 UVB Fluorescent Bulbs then two zoo med Reptile UVA Basking Spot Lamp itry changeing them every 2 months

07/21/13  11:46am

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299782

what could caouse a small bump right below his eye?? he came up when he started shedding

07/21/13  04:12pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299793

ill try geting a photo pf the spot if thatll help

07/21/13  05:48pm

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299795

I would definitely post a picture asap.

07/21/13  07:08pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2299798

the scales over it seemed to have shed off in this photo

u can kind of see how his eye isent fully open and the discarge near the frount

and here u can kind of see the bump from the distance but other then the bump and his eye hes acting the same besides basking a bit more then normal

07/21/13  08:43pm

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299800

Could it possibly be snalt? It’s a perfectly normal occurrence. It’s a discharge that can build up around their nose. Not sure how often you handle the Uro, but are you able to feel the bump? If it’s like a hard crust it might just be a snalt build up, which is harmless.

07/21/13  10:45pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2299812

i felt the bump and it feels kind of like a knot like a wart almost. the scales over top of the bump have come off and it looks alot smaller then befor but im still kind of worried. i only handle him for a split secont a day so i can move him to the side of his tank so i can pick up any exstra food thats in the sand.

07/21/13  11:02pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299814

hes sleeping in really late today... but then again its a bit rainy outside and i know he can tell it is. but anyway. the bump feels kind of like a smooth wart with tiny little bumps on it.

07/22/13  10:06am

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299827

he just came out and started eating right away. so nothing wrong with his diet hes pooping like normal. so idk what this bump could be. he dosent seem desresed when i touch it. nor when hes eating so i dont think its hurting him.

07/22/13  01:21pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299840

im more worried about his eye then anything. he just dose not seem to want to open it. but i gace him some birdseed and calcium powder and he ate that like instintly.

07/22/13  03:16pm

LogicallyIllogical
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299751

Hey! I was wondering what exactly the inside of his mouth looks like? Is there an open sore? Maybe an impaction?
Because I have known animals that get deep bone infections that can travel up into their eyes. If his lip is swollen on top, it might be infected.
I don’t know if you’ve ever opened his mouth ’forcibly’.
I really hope it’s not this though because it’s really, really hard to get rid of (if it’s actually in the bone).

09/13/13  03:27pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299850

I would never use a zilla light. I’m not saying this is for sure the culprit but zilla makes horrible reptile lights. I would also consider bumping up the basking temp and the cool end from 70 to 80. Did you say the bump shed off? is the uro basking directly under the zilla? does the uro have a secondary non uv basking area? I know I have several in my 8x4.

09/22/13  08:58am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area