Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kaitlinnow   OverlordMaddy   Kaitlinnow   Vers   Kaitlinnow   Kaitlinnow   Cassielehman   Vers   Kaitlinnow   Vers   Kaitlinnow   Kaitlinnow  

Member  Message

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Mali Uromastyx not eating

Okay so I have owned cosmo a Mali Uromastyx for about 7-8 months, he is currently the only lizard housed in a 55 gallon enclosure (35.3"X16.5"X17.5"). he has a basking light on one end of the tank (126 degrees) and a UV bulb in the middle set on a timer at about 81 degrees. The bulbs have just been replaced. i feed him a mixture of carrots, kale and other collard greens. he likes to hide and run around however lately hes been starving himself and has gotten very skinny and become lethargic. this is the change in behavior that worries me. hes not handled very much at all, the only time i do move him is when im cleaning his cage (substrate being a reptile rug) hes gotten very skinny and im extremely concerned! he has pooped so im not worried about impaction. ANY tips or advice on getting him to eat again would be much appriciated.

07/19/13  07:28pm

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: Kaitlinnow   In reference to Message Id: 2299712

Please fill out the ’form’ in the ’PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING’ part of this forum so people can help further zone in on the main issue. :)

07/19/13  10:48pm

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2299722

all the info is there, but i took him to the vet and they told me he had a genetic condition that couldnt be cured. i had to put him down

07/20/13  12:09am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Kaitlinnow   In reference to Message Id: 2299728

All of the info wasn’t there, but that really doesn’t matter at this point anyway. For future reference your dietary regimen should be altered as none of the food items you were feeding make for good staples (kale should be avoided entirely). Lastly what was the genetic condition the vet diagnosed?

07/20/13  08:31am

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299735

he was on the kale and other foods by recommendation by the vet. and they said it was a brain defect/ tumor that suppressed the feeling of hunger.

07/20/13  10:14pm

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299735

and for the record i had a mix of the staples my uro needed and those were the extra recommendations from the vet, i did forget to add that in, i was very distressed while writing this as im sure you can imagine.

07/20/13  10:18pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Kaitlinnow   In reference to Message Id: 2299763

i know how it feels :[ my little yellow uro died not to long ago due to a inpaction... the vet said she probly wouldnt live but i tryed and i know the feeling of helplessness when u cant save ur pet but u try so hard to... im sorry for ur loss and i hope u the best

07/20/13  11:07pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Kaitlinnow   In reference to Message Id: 2299763

What was that mix comprised of? As for what your vet recommended, I would be inclined to ignore any dietary advice from him/her from this point on. Kale and collards, when fed constantly and consistently, will lead to health issues. One of these issues is hyperthyroidism. Both of the aforementioned greens are part of the brassica genus, most of which are goitrogenic (inc. broccoli, turnip greens, bok choy and mustard greens). The very same applies to most "spring" mixes, which often include tatsoi, mizuna and baby spinach. Millet seed, a common substrate option and alternative food source, is also goitrogenic. All of these food items should be limited OR avoided to prevent long term damage.

Either way, while I understand you were concerned, it’s very important to include detailed information when you, or anyone else for that matter, posts inquiries like this, which is precisely why the ’Please Read Before Posting’ questionnaire is so important. These details can save an animals life by cutting down on the time wasted by asking questions that could have been answered immediately. For instance, you provided temperatures but you never stated how they were taken. You also mentioned you were using a basking bulb and a ’UV’ bulb but provided no further information, such as bulb type, model, wattage, distance, etc etc. In the end I’m sorry for your loss. If you do decide to get another uro please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

07/21/13  09:13am

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299776

no my bearded dragon and my uro did not get a long- they were always kept separate of course, but i couldnt even keep them in the same general area, my uro would make as much noise as possible and my bearded dragon got so scared, so i decided to give full attention to my baby beardie.

07/21/13  11:56am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Kaitlinnow   In reference to Message Id: 2299783

What in the world are you talking about? Are you saying you just gave up on the uromastyx in favor of your bearded dragon?

07/21/13  03:18pm

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299791

no not at all! i loved cosmo and it was a tragedy i had to put him down! i decided to not get another mali so i could give full attention to my bearded dragon. i was referring to your for future reference, i decided to not get another mali.

07/21/13  09:00pm

Kaitlinnow
View Profile

Message To: Kaitlinnow   In reference to Message Id: 2299801

i was referring to your for future reference i did not make that very clear! i just realized how bad that sounded! no i gave cosmo and adonis the same amount of love and attention

07/21/13  10:04pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area