Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro  

Member  Message

LookingforUro
View Profile

Could Gordo be too hot?

Most of you know about Gordos lack of appetite and lethargy. I have been feeding him the oxbow critical care now for almost 3 weeks.

I recently was told that to get a correct measurement with my temp gun it has to be within 2 inches of the surface. When I read his basking spot I get within that range but I am short and never really got down into the bottom of his house. The ambient temp on the hot side is 102 but the surface temp directly under the heat lamp is 117. The ambient temp on the cool side is 90 but the floor is 115. Out away from the direct light the floor surface temp is 107 (hot) and 105 (cool). On the very far end.. about 1/6 of the tank has an even cooler cool side where its about 84 with 2 hides.

My question is... is the floor of the majority of his house too hot?

07/10/13  10:19pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299472

Could Gordo be too hot?

Yes, 105f/115f surface temps on the cool end is too warm--I wouldn’t let that temp to get above 90f, but ideally they should remain in the 80-85f range. What are you using for cool end ambient lighting? I would ensure you’re using CFL, FL or LED cool end ambient lighting. To get temps under control I would either shift the basking lamp further over to the one side and or raise the basking surface up (you will have to dim the basking lamp, distance it further away or use a lower wattage bulb). Doing so should decrease cool end temps.

As for temp gun distances, that depends entirely on the distance to spot ratio (D:S). If the gun has a 2:1 ratio you will need to take readings at 2" in order for the gun to gather a reading within a 1" diameter. Guns with higher ratios, like 8:1, 10:1, 12:1 can be used at further working distances.

07/11/13  03:03pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299482

Could Gordo be too hot?

The "cool" end has no lighting and its temps are in the low 80s. What I was wondering is if the floor temp of the rest of the tank is too high?

07/11/13  04:43pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299484

Could Gordo be too hot?

Ah I see...I missed that last bit about the actual cool (coolest) end, however small it is, being ~84f. What I’m wondering is why the middle of the enclosure is so warm. Do you have multiple heat lamps running spaced out between the hot end end and the middle? If this is the case I would create one basking area with a large heat gradient (~125-110f) on one end of the tank and just use low heat producing ambient lighting for the rest. I would allow for a larger ’cool end’ for the animal to retreat.

07/11/13  06:10pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299488

Could Gordo be too hot?

It would also help if you could post a current shot of your setup with a description of your lighting arrangement. From what I’ve seen in other posts it appears you have multiple basking lamps spread out throughout the hot end with the primary basking spot positioned slightly off center. If that’s the way it still is I would suggest the above changes, which would consist of shifting the primary basking spot (elevated tile) further to the right. Here is the image I’m referring to...

In addition, although I’m not certain the setup remains as is, I would suggest offering food on the cool end away from any high heat sources.

07/11/13  06:16pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299489

Could Gordo be too hot?

Well.. the main basking spot.. the one that reaches 136. With out the additional heat sources.. the rest of the tank would be 75 degrees. The hot lamp above his "hot hide" keeps that side of the tank 102. The lamp on the other side keeps that side around 90.

Would it be sufficient just to change the bulb on the cool side so that its cooler? I don’t want to change where his basking site is because the uv fixture is hanging from the middle brace of the tank. I would not know how to mount it just to one side.

07/11/13  10:56pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299494

Could Gordo be too hot?

Again it would help if you could provide a detailed rundown of the lighting setup...this would include bulb type, wattage, distance to surface and spacing/positioning along with temps directly beneath the bulbs. Your primary objective should be decreasing surface and air temps off center from the cool end. It would also help if you could explain where the animal typically resides and for how long, both during the day and at night.

07/12/13  02:50pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299502

Could Gordo be too hot?

Ok.. the lighting.. on the far right side.. it has his hot hide which is where he sleeps. Above that is a 50w heat lamp used to keep baby chickens warm. The floor there is about 117.. and then 105 further out from the center of the lamp. Next to that is the basking spot. To heat that is a 60w halogen flood lamp and that keeps his basking spot around 136 at the very center.. an area surrounding it about the size of a tea saucer is around 125-122. From there it diffuses out to about 102-107 depending on where you check. The bricks that line the back.. which is where he often sits because its closest to the UV tube.. run about 107. He moves from the basking spot.. to the bricks.. and back again.. etc. That’s where he spends the majority of his resting time. The lamp on the other end of the UV tube is also a heat lamp made for chickens. Because there is no additional lighting on that side.. that heat lamp only makes the area around 90 degrees (ambient temp) the floor there.. directly under the lamp in a small spot is 117.. the area surrounding it is about 105 surface temp. Inside that hide is 90 degrees. On hotter days when my AC can not compensate.. that hide can reach 95-99. On the very far end.. with 2 cool hides.. it is 85 most of the time.. it can be a little cooler.. but right now with the summer heat it stays about 85. The hides are also 85.. so is the floor. All measured with my temp gun.

When he hides during the day.. he hides in the center hide.. which is the one that’s about 95. I believe its the hide he is near in the picture you referenced. He also sometimes basks above that hide as well. I have noticed that more often in the past few days but it has been excessively hot outside. So the "cooler" basking spot is probably more comfortable. I am measuring it at 117 currently.

07/12/13  10:22pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299506

Could Gordo be too hot?

Quote:

The lamp on the other end of the UV tube is also a heat lamp made for chickens. Because there is no additional lighting on that side.. that heat lamp only makes the area around 90 degrees (ambient temp) the floor there.. directly under the lamp in a small spot is 117.. the area surrounding it is about 105 surface temp.

I would definitely replace this lamp with a lower wattage lamp, preferably a higher wattage daylight rated CFL (23-40w). This should drop temps down to within reasonable levels in this part of the tank. I would also replace the indoor halogen/IR bulb o n the far right with an outdoor rated halogen flood (thick, heavy glass). These will be far more efficient and will cut your energy bill down considerably over the long haul.

07/15/13  04:41pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299565

Could Gordo be too hot?

I had an outdoor halogen on the far right but the ambient temp in the area would not go over 88 or so. I can easily put one back in.

Do you think Gordo would be better off in a 40g breeder with a megaray instead?

07/15/13  04:57pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299566

Could Gordo be too hot?

88f is fine. As long as the animal has a basking temp in the 100-120/130f range and a cool end in the mid-high 80s that’s all that really matters. If you want to maintain warmer hot end temps just shift/aim the far right fixture over closer to the primary basking spot and use a lower wattage halogen. Not only with this keep temps up but it would also create a larger basking circumference. As for the 40g question, no, not at all. If you were to use a Mega-Ray, which wouldn’t be necessary since you’re using T5 HO UVB fluorescent lighting, it would be better if the animal were in a larger enclosure. In fact, larger is better in any case.

07/15/13  05:31pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299567

Could Gordo be too hot?

It’s been about 5 days since I turned Gordos far left heat lamp off. The hot end stays around 95-99 now without the extra heat from the opposite side. The cool end is in the low 80s. The only difference it has made is that Gordo stays on the hot end now.

Update on health... Blood tests are back. All his organs are in perfect health but his white cell count is elevated. The vet says that indicates a bacterial infection. Continuing antibiotic injections and hoping for the best. I really hope I am helping him and not prolonging his misery.

07/21/13  09:26am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area