Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rjworley   LookingforUro   Rjworley   LookingforUro   Rjworley   LookingforUro   Rjworley   LookingforUro  

Member  Message

Rjworley
View Profile

Egyptian Uromastyx? (U. aegypticus)

Does anyone know where I can get a good price on a healthy captive bred hatchling-juvenile egyptian uromastyx?

07/05/13  02:14pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299278

Doug Dix should have some hatchlings this month or next I think. He may even have some Egyptians left over from his last batch.

Deer Fern Farms

07/05/13  02:46pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299280

I talked to him about a month or so ago, I know he had 13 hatchlings/juvies. I’ve read on his site that they personally don’t breed Egyptians because it takes up so much space. Do you know if he orders CB from another breeder? I’ve been thinking about ordering one in a couple of weeks. Is it acceptable to keep a hatchling/juvie in a 40 gallon breeder for say a 1 month, 2 months at most?

07/05/13  02:54pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299281

I am not sure how fast Egyptians grow.. but a 40g breeder would be plenty of room for a normal hatchling. Up to 2 years or so I would guess. I also think Egyptians probably grow slower since they live much longer and get much bigger than most. Just remember that when you do move it to a larger enclosure that they go through relocation stress. The best thing I have found is to set up their decorations / hides in as similar a manner as possible. Especially their hide.. since that is their "Safe" spot.

Once your Egyptian is about 14 inches or so I would thing it would be time to move it over.

07/05/13  05:31pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299282

It’d be in there for 2-3 monthes tops.. I moved my Saharan into a 4x2x2 custom enclosure when he was 8" lol.

07/05/13  07:52pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299290

A 4 foot enclosure may not be big enough for a full grown Egyptian though. Their size can vary but they do grow much bigger than any other uromastyx species. Larger individuals can come close to 3 feet. There is a subspecies that is smaller than a regular Egyptian. Uromastyx aegyptia microlepis is a little smaller and often is more of a pale yellow than the usually grayish Egyptian.

07/05/13  09:41pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299294

I know, I’d probably put an egyptian in a 6x3x3.. But I was just saying I had my 8 inch Saharan in a 40gal and thought he was to big for it. So I built him a much larger 4x2x2.

07/05/13  10:06pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299297

I figured you knew what you were in for.. just wanted to make sure! When I originally called Doug he had 8 Egyptians left.. and one mali. My husband said NO! to the Egyptian right away because of the size. We ended up with a little Moroccan instead. When I move from my current house I need a huge farm house or something.. so I can house all the little lizard friends I wish I could have!

07/06/13  12:16am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area