Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Rjworley   Cassielehman   Cassielehman   Vers   Cassielehman  

Member  Message

Cassielehman
View Profile

Uro not eating anything past 4 weeks

hi im extremely worried about my uro im not exactly sure what species he is has grey and yellow mostly yellow on the tail and along the sides and head, but for the past 4 weeks he has not been eating and he has grown thin, i have taken him to the vet and everything they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with him, the female that was housed with him recently died and then he began going down hill. she had an impacted gut and died at the vet during surgery. he is a year old male about 8 inches long. his normal diet is green beans collard greens apples and turnip greens, he and my female were housed together when i bought them so i kept them together. they were a breeding pair. his vet said that he may actually be going through depression or separation issues but i never heard of that in reptiles. can someone plz help me?

06/29/13  06:13pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299041

Quote:

oh also the basking side of his tank is 120-130 cool side stays around 80, he is in a 3 foot by 1 foot tank, his has 2 hides, and about 6 large rocks along the tank for shedding but he seems to have problems ith shedding recently to. mostly along his tail. i take a qtip along his tail to help but it dosent seem to help very much, i hardly hold him. so i have no idea whats up

06/29/13  06:24pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299041

OK, while I cannot determine the possible cause based on the info provided I can point out a few issues I see and some concerns I have straight away...

Quote:

he is has grey and yellow mostly yellow on the tail and along the sides and head

Can you post a photo of the individual? Not only will I be able to confirm the species but it will help give me an idea of the animal’s current condition.

Quote:

i have taken him to the vet and everything they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with him

Can you provide an idea of what tests were performed? Did you have a fecal exam done?

Quote:

his normal diet is green beans collard greens apples and turnip greens

This is a large issue. None of these food items are ideal staples. Collards and turnip greens are both goitrogenic in high quantity and when fed frequently. Eventually they will suppress the thyroid gland by limiting the amount of iodine. This will cause the thyroid to grow in order to absorb more iodine and will cause related issues, including obesity. Apples (and fruit in general) should be avoided--they offer very little nutritional value for these animals. Green beans, specifically string beans, are OK in moderation, but they should be limited. Better staples include: endives (curly endive, escarole), orchard and or timothy grass, despined opuntia, dandelion (removed midribs), marrow (i.e. spaghetti, acorn squash), edible flowers (hibiscus, nasturtiums, dandelion etc) and finely ground Mazuri tortoise pellets.

Quote:

they were a breeding pair.

I’m not sure if you meant to say that or not, but at 8" in length and a year old your male is not at breeding age quite yet. Most species take 2-3 years to sexually mature and some take even longer.

Quote:

the basking side of his tank is 120-130 cool side stays around 80

How exactly is this being measured?

Quote:

he is in a 3 foot by 1 foot tank

The tank, to be blunt, is too small. The recommended minimum is 48x24, however the more space the better.

Quote:

his has 2 hides, and about 6 large rocks along the tank for shedding but he seems to have problems ith shedding recently to.

The hides and the lack of shedding may coincide. What type of hides are you offering? What are the humidity levels within the tank?

Quote:

i take a qtip along his tail to help but it dosent seem to help very much

A Q-tip with what on it?

In addition, it’s going to help if you could fill out the ’Please Read Before Posting’ questionnaire and provide as much detail as possible. It’s very important to be very specific in your response.

06/29/13  07:21pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299048

ok ty for the information on the food my uro dose love dandelion but my vet said not to give him that?, i suppose my vet gave me incorrect information on him, as for the photo i don’t think i can and i was planning on moving him to a larger tank within the next week but for now will the tank hes in work now? a fecal exam, and they checked for any infections parasites, or compaction in the gut like my last one, they also checked for any bone illnesses or deformations and said he was clean and should be health. my vet. as for the temp. i have 2 thermometers provided by pet-smart that measure moisture in the tank as well. they are two stone hides on each ends of the cage, the humidity in his cage right now is 22%. and i have 4 stones at each corner with two in the center of the cage side by side, hes been rubbing between them to help get skin off. also as for the q-tip my vet said just to wet it and rub it over his skin to help loosen the dry dead skin.. as for the breeding iv had baby’s from my two uros so i suppose pets smart had his age wrong.

06/29/13  08:44pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299052

as for his speices i found out what he is hes a yellow nigerian uro

06/29/13  08:54pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299052

Dandelion is perfectly fine as long as its pesticide and herbicide free. If you decide to use it I would remove the mid-rib. Why can’t you post an image? If you have a camera and a means to upload the photo to an online host, like flickr, then you should be able to get one up. What type of thermometers are you using...digital or analog/dial type? Also, how are you measuring surface temperatures? I ask because the stick on analog type thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. As far as the moist q-tip, I would advise against using water. This can cause issues, like tail rot. If you ever need to remove stuck shed apply a bit of food grade oil, like olive oil or mineral oil. I’m curious as to how old your animals were at the time of conception...if your length estimate is accurate that would be one heck of a small, sexually mature animal, even for dwarf species. Did you actually witness copulation? Did you incubate the eggs yourself?

Lastly do not forget to fill out and post your responses to the ’Please Read Before Posting’ questionnaire. The sooner you do this the better.

06/29/13  09:11pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299054

no camera right now, and its a digital one. one close to the sand and one mid way between the lights and the sand. and ill use olive oil from now on ty. and i incubated the eggs myself. 2 cluches one of 4 eggs the other 2. all survived and i gave them to a petstore down the street for care. they were all sold at around a month old. and il going out to get endive, squash, bok-choy and spinach tomoro. are those all good foods for him?

06/29/13  09:19pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299056

I’m having trouble trying to understand how you’re achieving accurate readings with the thermometers positioned how I imagine them...especially surface temps. Unless there is a probe physically touching the middle of the basking surface there is no way you could receive accurate readings. You really should be taking these readings with an IR temp gun. Spinach is no good and bok choy should be limited. Try and find curly endive and escarole. Also, if you have any edible flowers available to you I would recommend adding it to the mix to promote a feeding response. Radicchio, shredded yellow bell pepper and bee pollen granules may also work. But again, please try and fill out the questionnaire...its really the only way anyone will be able to help you out.

06/29/13  09:46pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299057

alright. i went out and got 2 more terminators for his cage. and one to measure humidity. i got all the food u said to get him and he went straight for the dandelions. i have endive dandilions and some mashed uro mix that the store feeds there uros.

06/30/13  09:49am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299066

What is the ’uro mix’ comprised of/brand? You need to be extremely careful as to taking advice from pet stores--most of them don’t have a clue what they should be eating. If the mix contains too much protein it will end up being detrimental. Additionally, what type of thermometers did you end up with?

06/30/13  10:09am

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299067

San Francisco Bay Brand Healthy Herp Veggie Mix Instant Meal they said u can dip it in water and hydrate it alittle for him, and as for the thermometers are Zoo Med Reptitemp Digital Infrared Thermometer and Infrared Digital Thermometer gun to check the sand temp.

06/30/13  03:50pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299087

OK, the mix seems to be similar in nutritional value to that of Mazuri tortoise pellets, which is a good thing. Just be sure to provide any and all food items up and away from the sand substrate to avoid accidental ingestion.

Did you double check your temps with the new thermometers?

06/30/13  04:04pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299088

yes i checked everything they all read the same. hes been eating dandelions out of his little bowl and i think eating alittle bit of the feed i bought him, but he dosent seem to eat much still.. also i noticed his tail is not shedding as well as it did last time. could that possibly be the problem??

06/30/13  06:20pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299097

also im going to try to get u some photos of him and so on to show his condition,

06/30/13  07:14pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299099

thats him. hes been eating alittle bit but dose he look ok..?

07/01/13  02:25pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299137

What kind of UVB do you have for him/her? And how far away is it from the basking spot?

07/01/13  03:23pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2299141

Quote:

What kind of UVB do you have for him/her? And how far away is it from the basking spot?

Desert Series Reptile T8 UVB Bulb and thats the low section of his basking rock it has 2 more levels about 2 inches apart eatch

07/01/13  04:54pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299147

ok my uro is eating now but hes just kinda slugging around his basking rock now. x.x whyy

07/03/13  11:13am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Cassielehman   In reference to Message Id: 2299214

Again, you need to fill out the ’Please Read Before Posting’ questionnaire, which is posted on the ’Top Threads’ section of the Uromastyx forum index. Be as thorough and detailed as possible. This is extremely important.

07/03/13  03:08pm

Cassielehman
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299225

yay lol so now he is perfectly healthy again eating like he use to and everything yay ty for helping~

07/06/13  04:50pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area