Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pugwinkle   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers  

Member  Message

Pugwinkle
View Profile

Outdoor Enclosures

Does anyone have an outdoor enclosure for their URO’s? I’d love to see some pictures if you do and also some advice on a what I might be able to use to make an enclosure in order to let my URO’s enjoy the outdoors every now and again when it is warm enough. I of course want to ensure they are safe from any predators.

06/29/13  09:10am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Pugwinkle   In reference to Message Id: 2299024

Outdoor Enclosures

Outdoor enclosures are tricky--not only do you have to deal with subjecting the animal to stressors (transporting and birds will drive them crazy) but you need to ensure there is no possibility of escape as well as prevent contact with potentially dangerous organisms (bacteria, plants, animals). For example, if the animal were to ingest a single firefly it will kill the animal.

I’ve seen a few excellent open-air outdoor enclosures, specifically in the southwest, but from my standpoint the risk isn’t worth the potential reward. Instead I would focus on building an indoor enclosure with good quality UVB lighting (i.e. ZooMed/Arcadia T5 HO) to try and best replicate natural conditions, sans all possible dangers. If you have the space you may want to consider building an enclosure similar to that of a monitor enclosure, with enough compact substrate (~1-2ft, depending on species) for the animal to burrow. This, IMO, is the best permanent housing solution.

06/29/13  11:06am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299028

Outdoor Enclosures

With Gordo’s current situation.. the vet wanted me to try to get him some out door time. I bought a baby pool and some paving stones and wow did he FREAK OUT! He is used to being picked up.. but outside was just way too much for him. I had no idea how well these little guys jump. I almost had a heart attack trying to retrieve him and get him back in the house. Had he cleared the top of the pool.. which he came close to doing.. I would never have gotten him back.

All that said.. i just watched a youtube video of a florida repticon and very briefly it showed some outdoor enclosures made of 2x4’s and chicken wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMGLir4OxbE

You can see them somewhere around 2/3rds of the way through the video.

06/29/13  12:34pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2299029

Outdoor Enclosures

Quote:

With Gordo’s current situation.. the vet wanted me to try to get him some out door time.

That was a very poor judgement call by your vet. The idea is to limit or, better yet, completely avoid stress, not cause it.

06/29/13  07:24pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area