Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Airyn   Vers   Airyn  

Member  Message

Airyn
View Profile

Biting, well that’s new.

Hey there folks. Just a quick question. Fraggle my lovely uro has started biting... sort of.
He’s always been a friendly uro, comes up to you when you reach in to feed him or clean his home. Lets you give him a little pet on the side of his face (his favourite) or hand feed him from time to time.

But lately, he started this soft biting. Something he’s never done in his almost 8 years.

At first it only happened when food was being given. I figured he was just being dumb and mistaking fingers for food. But it’s a little more frequent - as if all of a sudden, I am delicious.

He’s never bit hard, or anything. And I know they don’t typically have the instinct to bite.

I should also say, he’s not angry or stressed when he does this. He doesn’t wiggle or puff. But I’m just wondering what it’s all about. Any thoughts?

06/22/13  08:00pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Airyn   In reference to Message Id: 2298746

Biting, well that’s new.

Can you post a video of this? It seems like odd behavior to me. Is the animal head/upper body bobbing or has it been performing any territorial actions lately? Namely circling around the basking area or food dish. Unless you have pollen on your fingers or have been feeding insects I don’t see it being feeding response related...unless the animal is loosing it’s eye sight.

06/24/13  11:08am

Airyn
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2298801

Biting, well that’s new.

Thanks for responding, I’ll post a video as soon as I can. Hopefully tomorrow.

I don’t imagine he’s loosing his eyesight - and I certainly hope he isn’t. He seems to know exactly what he wants to "bite", and still seems to see you coming.

I’ll be in touch again once I get a video. It really is odd behaviour - which is why I’m concerned.

06/28/13  08:02pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area