Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lonesomedove75   Lonesomedove75   Vers   Steadfast   Steadfast   Lonesomedove75   Steadfast   Vers   Steadfast   Lonesomedove75   Lonesomedove75  

Member  Message

Lonesomedove75
View Profile

Sick mali uro, need help she wont eat!

Hi, I really need some help for my female Mali uro. We have had her a year and a half and up till recently she was healthy and eating great. She got sick a couple months ago and we took her to the vet and got her antibiotics and she was back to her old self. But now she’s not eating and getting very thin and her eyes have even sunk into her head a bit. We have been force feeding her liquid greens and reptoboost for about a week and she looked to be getting better but now she just looks worse everyday. The heat and habitat is good and its clean. I have tried everything I can and have done as much research as I can to try to get her well again. But nothing seems to be working. Her basking temp is about 110-120 cool side is about 87. We know that the environment is good but she’s still getting worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

06/17/13  02:11pm

Lonesomedove75
View Profile

Message To: Lonesomedove75   In reference to Message Id: 2298568

1) How long have you owned the animal
1 1/2 years
2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
12x 30x 12
3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
Mali uro
4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
A banded uro
5) Bssking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
b110-120 cool side 87
6)Temerature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
95-100 stick on dial and a stick on strip.
7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
no lately it broke and have not been able to replace.
8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
baby spring mix daily with dandelion greens once a week just started frozen thawed mixed veggies.
9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used
none
10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state wheather it is calcium sand
bird seed.
11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….
she sleeps where she wants up till last week was very active and eating great
12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
none at the moment force feeding.
13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to the animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
no modifications made recently she sleeps alot doesnt even open them when we pick her up .
14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.
every couple days.
15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.
April got an antibiotic and did much better the vet said possible mouth rot was the cause due to the gunk in andaround her mouth( none of that is visible incase you need to know)

06/17/13  03:14pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Lonesomedove75   In reference to Message Id: 2298574

That’s a bummer. Apart from keeping the animal hydrated, below you will find some very important tips to employ ASAP.

Quote:

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
12x 30x 12
3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
Mali uro
4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
A banded uro

Not only is the enclosure too small for the Mali but exceedingly small for two individuals. Do you have any idea as to the sex of each animal? How long have they been together? What are their approximate ages? Even if they seem to get along I would recommend separating them immediately. Please be sure to offer ample space for each animal (4x2 or larger).

Quote:

5) Bssking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
b110-120 cool side 87
6)Temerature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
95-100 stick on dial and a stick on strip.

Analog thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. I would replace them with digital variants and add an IR temp gun. What is the room and tank temp at night?

Quote:

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
no lately it broke and have not been able to replace.

Did this bulb break inside the tank? When you get a chance to replace it (soon, I hope) it would be wise to invest in Arcadia 12% or ZooMed 10.0 T5 HO variants. Check out lightyourreptiles(dot)com for complete HO setups.

Quote:

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
baby spring mix daily with dandelion greens once a week just started frozen thawed mixed veggies

What does the spring mix consist of?

Quote:

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state wheather it is calcium sand
bird seed.

What type of birdseed?

Quote:

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to the animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
no modifications made recently she sleeps alot doesnt even open them when we pick her up .

What type of heat lamp are you using (be specific) and how close is it to the basking area?

Quote:

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.
April got an antibiotic and did much better the vet said possible mouth rot was the cause due to the gunk in andaround her mouth( none of that is visible incase you need to know)

Mouth rot is often associated with stress, which can compromise an animal’s immune system. If it is mouth rot has it been taken care of? If so, how was it confirmed? In addition, has the animal had a fecal exam?

06/17/13  06:45pm

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Lonesomedove75   In reference to Message Id: 2298568

Do you have a picture of the Mali? What does her stool look like?

06/17/13  08:59pm

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Steadfast   In reference to Message Id: 2298581

Also.. what kind of antibiotics did he proscribe your Uro and how long did you give it to it?

06/17/13  09:03pm

Lonesomedove75
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2298579

We got the male from deer fern farms, who raises them for a living said it was quite ok to house them together. They are both small and there is plenty of room for both of them. She is 2 the male is 1. Parakeet bird seed. Baby spring mix. Includes romaine tango arugula red leaf lolla Rosa mizuna tatsoi green chard red chard mustard red oak crises radicchio organic Greenleaf organic swiss chard spinach mache and beet tops. Bulb did not break the casing broke. The temp never drops below 75. I know the type of thermostat we use is not the best they have but it is afford able and is acurrate. We did borrow a digital thermostat and the temps were the same. The vet said there was nothing wrong with the feces. Don’t remember the name of the antibiotic.
Please do not fake me the wrong way. I see how some of the people sho reply to some posted and they are dude and mean. I have done extensive research and talked to many breaders before buying this reptile. I know that there is a lot of info out there and a lot of it contradicts the next one. Everyone has their own opinions and methods, I respect that, I fear that there is nothing new anyone can tell me and she will die anyway.

Sorry do not know how to post pictures from my phone.

06/18/13  12:21am

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Lonesomedove75   In reference to Message Id: 2298589

I’m sorry you feel that way. I was wondering if the stool had an oder or was runny? Dark or clear? I assume if the vet checked the lizards fecal out then it must be normal. It may be dehydrated. (Without pictures I am unable to tell you. But I think fluids might help if dehydration is the case. Also If its a respiratory infection then that could cause problems. What is the humidity?? If the room is too humid it can also cause problems. I have found when my lizards have had problems. The only antibiotics that ever work is baytril. All the other antibiotics I have tried does not work. Without seeing your animal I am not sure what the problem could be. I know how stressful it can be and how it seems like nothing you do works.

My advice to you.. if it were mine. I’d check the humity in the room. Purchase a heat gun so you know the exact temps. Purchase a heat emitter for night time and keep the cage about 80-90 at night. (While your. Uro is sick). I would also try and take it in for IV fluids. And try and use baytrol this time. Fill free to message me your number and I wouldn’t mind giving you mine so you can text me a picture of your little ones. I hope this helps. I am not a vet or a doctor by no means... but this is what has helped me in the past.

Good luck..

06/18/13  09:39am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Lonesomedove75   In reference to Message Id: 2298589

I am providing you with possible life saving advice...its up to you to trust and employ it. I can assure you that a 12x36 surface area is not large enough for a single individual let alone two. You can even refer to Doug Dix, the person you purchased one of the animals from, to confirm this (I believe its posted on the site). Again the recommended minimum is 48x24. As for whether or not they can be housed together, that’s totally debatable. Successfully housing two uros is something that is very much a gamble, and it doesn’t always pay off. Dominant animals will often starve cagemates of nutrients and basking rights or simply inflict stress on the cagemate, which can cause serious health issues. Additionally you should always separate a sick animal from a healthy animal to avoid possible cross contamination as well as bullying and stress on the affected animal. Keeping the two together during this period would be a big mistake. As far as the thermometers go there is no way for you to accurately measure basking surface temps...its just not possible with stick-on analog thermometers. So while you think your readings are accurate they are not. This is a big problem and could have something to do with the issue you’re seeing. In terms of diet it would be wise to remove both the spinach and the chard from the spring mix--these are very poor diet items for these animals. In fact I believe spring mix is a bad choice all together.

06/18/13  09:46am

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2298596

Yes.. Vers is right. Spanish and chards are not good for them. At least try to pick the Spanish and Chard out. Also keeping them sepearte would be best while your female isn’t doing well. Also being able to know the exact temps are very important. You can get a temp gun and other temperature devices on eBay.

06/18/13  10:08am

Lonesomedove75
View Profile

Message To: Steadfast   In reference to Message Id: 2298598

Thank you for your advice. Thank you for trying to help. I need no further help with this animal. I am very greatful for everything.

06/18/13  11:04am

Lonesomedove75
View Profile

Message To: Lonesomedove75   In reference to Message Id: 2298599

My # is 330. 766. 9 4 3 3.

06/18/13  11:18am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area