Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   Sahara99   LookingforUro   Winkpw   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Rjworley  

Member  Message

LookingforUro
View Profile

Gordo .. three weeks not eating.

Gordo is beginning to look very sick. He is lethargic. He has no interest in any foods whatsoever and I have tried everything imaginable. The only thing I have not resorted to is bugs. I am beginning to get very scared that he might die. How long can these guys go like this before actually dying? I think the stress of 5 days of meds really did him in. He was never afraid of hands.. now.. he doesn’t run from hands.. but if hands go in his tank... he sits there and watches.. and when we move away.. he creeps into his hide. I am not sure if he could run from anything right now.. even if he wanted to. I am leaving him entirely alone.. and offering fresh foods in the morning and evening. He just won’t touch any of it. Not even lentils, peas, dandelions.. all his favorites.

Here is a pic of him from today.

I don’t want to lose him.. any help is appreciated.

05/29/13  08:13pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297891

That is where / how he sits all day long. He goes into his hide to sleep.. or if someone stares at him too long.

05/29/13  08:14pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297892

While I cannot be sure I highly suspect the stress of force feeding and bathing along with the antibiotics resulted in further degradation of health. Have you tried offering flowers or bee pollen? I don’t have any experience force feeding reptiles (I do with birds) but I always viewed it as a last ditch effort and one that must be done very carefully. Critical care and pedialyte may be the only other option here...

05/30/13  09:46am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297929

I have successfully force fed my bearded dragon back to health.. but as I am sure you know.. they are much less skittish.. and more used to human handling. Sure she doesn’t like it.. but it hasn’t made her scared of me. I have not force fed Gordo.. other than the antibiotics.. and I have to agree that the stress of daily medication has caused this. I stopped at 5 days instead of going the full 7.. but the damage seems to be done. I actually got him to eat 8 wax worms last night. I know that insects are a huge no no.. but I saw it as sort of a last resort. I figured if nothing else.. they would get some moisture into his body. I was so happy to see him eat them.. that I thought we may have a window back into normal feeding.. but he wants nothing to do with them today. He has actually ran away from them.. and when I say ran I mean slowly walked. Critical care and pedialyte will cause more handling stress so I do not want to do that until its truly a life and death situation. I wouldn’t even know how to give it to him.

I have tried flowers.. dandelion, pansie, rose, lentils.. green peas.. frozen carrots.. strawberries.. grapes... watermelon... every green imaginable. Have not tried bee pollen. How would I do that? Just sprinkle onto food? Problem is he wont even look at his food.

05/30/13  04:02pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297943

I would advise heavily against feeding any insects specifically those that contain high chitin, especially in large quantity. Animal and plant proteins are very difficult for even healthy animals to process, let alone one with a compromised immune system. If you were to use bee pollen granules (found in the health section along with supplements) you would just sprinkle a small amount on regular food items. If that doesn’t work you may be at the end of the road as far as options go. Your primary objective is keeping the animal hydrated; If that means subjecting the animal to more stress then so be it. Remember, stress will not directly kill the animal, dehydration will. Contact Doug Dix again to see if he could take the time to walk you through the force feeding process.

I’m wondering if what supposedly killed the U. philbyi you were supposed to receive has anything to do with Gordo’s current condition. If it happened to be disease or a virus that took the other animals out perhaps it’s what is affecting him/her now. Or perhaps the animal was unknowingly exposed to something while in your care? Unfortunately the only way of telling is via blood test, which would be very risky at this point.

I wish you a lot of luck with everything...it’s a shame to see you invest all this time and effort to provide your animal with good care only to have something like this happen. In the meanwhile do your best to limit any and all stressors. Cover the sides of the tank with a solid material and limit access to the tank.

05/30/13  05:28pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297945

I didn’t want to say anything, but the antibiotics were probably unnecessary and did far more harm than good. Also the stress of forcing the medication down her throat probably weakened her. If she becomes dehydrated, she will lose her appetite, causing more dehydration and loss of appetite.- a vicious circle.

I wouldn’t go back to that vet. I’d find someone who is experienced with Uro, which might be difficult. My Mali went about two months without eating (ok a little nibbling a couple of times) during winter and even now is more a nibbler than an eater. The only foods he inhales is the dried beans I put down for him once every couple of weeks. At this time of year Gordo should be eating, so I would be worried.

Good luck with Gordo. Uros can take a lot of abuse, but I’d be a little worried.

Paul

05/31/13  02:08am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Sahara99   In reference to Message Id: 2297999

Doug has instructed me on how to tube feed Gordo. We had our first attempt last night. I put 2ml of a baby food/pedialyte/benebac mixture in him.. and he regurgitated what looked like about half. Which means he kept half in.. so I guess that is something. I know Gordo HATES it.. but if it keeps him alive.. I will do it.

I will keep you guys posted with his progress.

05/31/13  02:10pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298014

Please keep us updated on Gordo. I hope things work out for the better with him.

Good luck.

06/01/13  11:26am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 2298059

Well this is day 3. I have been able to get 2ml of the baby food mixture in him. I am going to try to do a 2nd meal today. He still will not eat on his own. I wish I knew how big his little lizard belly was.. so I knew just how much I should be giving him.

Other than its horrible to torture him this way... he is perking up.. so I am hopeful!

06/01/13  05:00pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298081

Day 4 and he has not pooped yet. Should I be worried? He hangs out on the hot side of his house.. its about 99 over there.. but he does not much like his basking spot.. which is about 130. That isnt too hot is it? Anyway... I have a few pics to see if you guys think he looks any better. He does look more alert.. but not sure if his body is looking any less dehydrated.

This was last week thursday.. before I started force feeding him.

This is today.

He still does not run around... he sits pretty much still. Usually picking one spot and staying there unless I move him.

06/02/13  07:16pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298121

He looks way better. Way to go!

06/03/13  01:17am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area