Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jpolley337   Rjworley   Jpolley337   Uronor   Jpolley337   Vers   Jhauck77  

Member  Message

Jpolley337
View Profile

She won’t eat

I got a red Niger uromastyx about 2 weeks ago from the pet store. And she will not eat.
Setup
She’s in a 40 gal breeder with washed plays and as a substrate ambient temp runs between 80-105 with basking spot at about 115-120 have temp and humidity thermometers at both ends Humidity is about 30 percent. She has hides on both sides of the cage and have been feeding a spring mix and mediterraniun mix. ( Endives escarole raddicio etc. plus dandilion greens and blossoms ) along with birdseed she has an under tank heater along with an intense heat basking bulb and UVA UVB bulb as well
The first couple days she ate very little and I assumed she was stressed from the move so I didn’t worry to much. But she is very inactive as well. She moves around the cage but usually like an inch at a time then she lays for a while then shell move a little more i have gotten her yo eat the last few days but only by hand feeding her and its not that much. There had been poop in the cage in small amounts about every other day.im not wure what to do. Since i havent had her that long i dont know if shes still getting acclimated or there is another problem. The pet store said she was less than a year old and she weighs 1.1 oz as of this mirning. I will continuing weighing her every day to rnsure she is mot losing weight but she is pretty thin. My other uro is extremely active and eats a ton with no issues at all.

05/27/13  04:46pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Jpolley337   In reference to Message Id: 2297767

She won’t eat

Can you post some pics? It might answer a few questions.

05/27/13  06:15pm

Jpolley337
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297769

She won’t eat

I’m having trouble uploading pics. I will keep trying

05/28/13  01:52pm

Uronor
View Profile

Message To: Jpolley337   In reference to Message Id: 2297767

She won’t eat

It may be dehydration from poor husbandry at the Pet Store, or parasites, or both. 2 weeks is not a long time for her to acclimate, handling her every day to weigh her may cause additional stress as well. Laying still, then moving an inch or two at a time can be a sign of stress. If she is still you won’t see her ;).

The only responsible advice I would give is to take her to a Herp vet. At a minimum bring a fecal sample in to test for parasites.

Best of luck, keep us posted on how she does.

05/28/13  08:08pm

Jpolley337
View Profile

Message To: Uronor   In reference to Message Id: 2297827

She won’t eat

IT IS STILL NOT LETTING ME UPLOAD PICS FOR SOME REASON. she has pooped 2 days in a ow now as i have been hand feeding her. she eats good out of my hands just will not go get food herself. she is starting to be a little more active as well. when i have her out feeding her she will crawlup my arm. so hopefully she was just a bit dehydrated and maybe hand feedin g her is helping her get rehydratied.

05/29/13  10:49pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Jpolley337   In reference to Message Id: 2297908

She won’t eat

I would recommend keeping the animal in the enclosure--removing it constantly is sure to cause stress. As for images, just post a link to your online gallery.

05/30/13  09:46am

Jhauck77
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297930

My red Saharan uromastyx is very skinny

Hey y’all, my little man Jarvis isn’t eating and is very skinny and I’m not sure what I can do to help him get healthy. His tank and setup is perfect so idk what could be wrong.

07/31/16  07:49pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area