Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LookingforUro   Rjworley   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Sahara99   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Sahara99   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   Rjworley   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   OverlordMaddy   QueenKoopa   LookingforUro   QueenKoopa   LookingforUro   Sahara99   QueenKoopa   OverlordMaddy   LookingforUro   OverlordMaddy   Vers   LookingforUro  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

LookingforUro
View Profile

Gordo has not pooped and barely eaten for 4 days.

1) How long have you owned the animal

almost 3 months

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size

6 feet long.. two feet wide.. two and a quarter feet tall

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal

Moroccan, about 10 inches.. weight unknown.

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post

just Gordo

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured

126 basking spot temp - temp gun

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.

Hot side 99 to 102. Cool side 86 to 89.

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx

UVB t8 three months old, 8 inches from basking spot

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed

dandelion greens, butternut squash, spring mix with spinach removed - daily

sprouted lentils once a week.. dandelion flowers once or twice a week

Starting last monday (May 6) I put a dish of crushed mazuri tortoise pellets.. which he seemed VERY interested in. He picked at the larger pieces.. liked cracking them.. then shortly after.. around wednesday or thursday he started eating less.. then nothing at all. Has not pooped in at least 4 days.

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used

none

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand

Slate

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….

He used to wake up at 11 or so.. run around like a nut stopping to eat from time to time.. take a nap around 3.. get back up around 4-5 and run around till about 830-9. Back on thursday and friday Gordo didn’t come out at all. He hid all day.. and didnt eat. Yesterday he came out and sat in his basking spot all day.. did not move much at all then went to bed around 8.. still did not eat.. did not poop

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.

He used to have a great appetite.. eating most of his salad every day. I over filled his dish just to be sure he got enough. Now hes not eating anything.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....

Nothing moved or new other than the tortoise pellets. I am concerned that these are the source of his decreased appetite and lethargy, I removed them from his house this morning.

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.

Not really handled. Hand fed sometimes.. and I pet his back.. but he doesn’t really get picked up at all.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

No vet yet.. it was previously too cold to take him out of his house.. considering going tomorrow.. would like to get a fecal done but he has not gone in so long.

So.. decreased appetite, lethargic, hiding, not pooping. He has been VERY regular.. pooping every day about an hour after he wakes up.. since I got him in February. His face looks like it wants to shed. Could this be shedding behavior? Like a beardie goes through? All this happened after starting to offer him the tortoise pellets.. could he be constipated??

05/12/13  09:09pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297223

Post some pictures, you said his face looks like it wants to shed, what are your humidity levels?
It sounds like he could be going through a shed from what you’ve described. In my opinion I don’t think he could be impacted from the tortoise pellets (most of the time impaction happens when a Uro has it’s food dish laying in sand and he ingests sand.), but I’ve never given my Uro tortoise pellets so I couldn’t tell you for sure. Try giving him a few frozen pea’s (soaked in water to thaw) to get his appetite going again, some dandelion flowers maybe? I’ve never experienced, heard, or read about what you’re going through. Hope I could help a little.

05/13/13  12:48am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297235

Humidity is around 20% during the day.. about 36% or so at night when his lights go out. If he comes out and about tomorrow I will try to get a picture of his head. His lips and his feet shed about a month ago. His tail has gotten less colorful.. and his head looks like its going a little greyish. I will try peas and dandelions tomorrow. He has eaten a lentil or two here and there.. but not when they were nice and soft.. he waited till they dried out and were all crunchy.

05/13/13  01:09am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297236

He ate one dandelion... wont eat any peas. Here is a pic of his head and tail.

From his nose to above his eyes already shed about a month ago.. now the back of his head is looking greyish.

05/13/13  03:25pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297246

Four days is nothing. I don’t know if you have anything to worry about.

Problems with shipping will make him grumpy, but is not likely to cause harm

Paul

05/13/13  10:32pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Sahara99   In reference to Message Id: 2297271

Ok I wont worry just yet.. today is 5 days. Shipping would not be the issue though. I got him back on February 20th or so. He ate the same day .. and never went a day without eating until a few days ago. Hes always been a very friendly and active uro.. since day 1 straight out of the box.

05/13/13  10:58pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297272

I agree with Paul--five days isn’t all that bad, but any random change in an animal’s behavior should demand a bit of attention. I would recommend keeping an eye out for fresh feces in order to take a sample to a vet for examination. In the meantime, a couple questions...
-Has anything happened recently that may have spooked the animal?
-How are your temperatures at night? Have they been cooler lately?
-What type of pellets are you offering?

It is a bit odd that the animal started behaving differently shortly after you started offering ground tortoise pellets, but it may be just a coincidence. How large were the more course pieces? Given the amount of fiber they contain I would be quite surprised if they were causing the issue. In addition, when these pellets are exposed to moisture they break down into a mush really quick, so I would not think it would make for an impaction risk. Is it possible they have gone bad?

In the end it may be just shed related, but get that fecal done when you get the opportunity.

05/14/13  05:59pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297312

First.. nothing has spooked him. He still behaves unafraid of us when hes out.. he just does not want to be out. He even let me pick him up for a quick examination... and he calmly walked back off my hand onto his stone.

Night temps are always 75.. thats what i set my AC to. There were a few very rainy days last week.. but the inside of the house was still 75.

The pellets were / are Mazuri tortoise pellets. I crushed them up.. most of it was pulverized but there were a few pieces left.. smaller than a grean pea.

Shed news.. his cheeks look like they are cracking today. He does wake up at the same time every day still.. but now he goes and hides in his cool side hide.. could he just be seeking more moisture?

Still has not had any food or pooped at all... will continue to keep watch. He is even ignoring lentils and green peas which is just crazy because he goes nuts for them.

05/14/13  07:27pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297326

Quote:

The pilots your drill in the fixture’s hood, however, should be larger in diameter than the screw threads.

My animals will often remain in their hides for a good portion of the day when it rains or is overcast outside. Since your animal is leaving it’s hide(s) on schedule it doesn’t really explain the lack of appetite you’re seeing though...

Quote:

I crushed them up..

I’m assuming you mean manually? If so it may be a worthwhile venture to toss them into a coffee grinder, food processor or blender for a finer quality.

Quote:

He does wake up at the same time every day still.. but now he goes and hides in his cool side hide.. could he just be seeking more moisture?

I think this is probable, and the more I think about it the more I feel it’s shed related. That doesn’t count out parasites or other issues, but given the information you’ve provided it sounds like the shed might be the guilty party. I would just keep an eye out and carry on as usual, making sure greens stay hydrated throughout the day.

05/14/13  07:59pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297328

Thanks.. I give the greens a good spray before I put them in.. and another in the afternoon.. its 9:40 here and the greens are still fairly fluffy.. not all crunchy yet.

He did shed his feet and nose about a month ago.. and his cheeks are cracking now.. so I hope this is over soon.

Still taking the first poop I find to the vet.. just to be positive. Thanks for all the input guys.

05/14/13  10:02pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297334

Sorry, I meant problems with shedding will make him grumpy. If you just recently began feeding him Mazuri tortoise pellets, his feces will be harder as the pellets absorb moisture. I purposely feed my Egyptian the pellets every meal because his stools were soft and runny (which was disgusting.). After I treated with Panacure and feeding the pellets, his stools became nice and firm. Try withholding the pellets and feed more greens and see what happens.

Paul

05/15/13  11:19am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Sahara99   In reference to Message Id: 2297360

Gordo Finally pooped yesterday! I actually caught him in the act.. he looked constipated.. poor guy. I rushed his sample over to the vet. He is completely clean of all parasites. The doc said he has a tiny bacteria bloom.. so he gave me an antibiotic. Since Gordo pooped.. hes been running around like the nut he usually is!! I have not really seen him eat yet.. but hopefully that is soon to follow. I think that the tortoise pellets did stop him up somehow.

On a side note.. I gave him his first dose of antibiotics yesterday. We have only had him three months, hes wild caught, so you can imagine how upset he was at being restrained and force fed by syringe!! But HOLY COW.. I did not know Gordo could be so amazingly beautiful! I had honestly thought the breeder had photo shopped him when I bought him. He was lime green all the way around.. the middle of his back was BRIGHT yellow.. with a wide orange stripe going from the middle of his back.. down his tail! Next time I piss him off I will try to be ready with a camera!

05/18/13  12:11pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297460

Ok.. so other than the first day.. when he behaved normal.. hes back to hiding all day. Has not eaten yet. I called Doug Dix to ask for help and he had me bathe Gordo. After freaking out a bit.. he drank a bit of water so hopefully dehydration was his problem. Took some pics during and after bath.

05/21/13  03:00pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297566

Perhaps try sprinkling the ground Mazuri on top of the fresh greens just after you mist them. I’m not sure if it’s what bound your little guy/gal up or not but it does pack a lot of fiber, which is highly beneficial. I would also consider misting the greens a bit more than usual for a bit and tighten up the hides to boost and help retain hydration. Hopefully he/she gets back on track soon.

As for coloration, the recent images show it off a lot better than before--that was a very quick shed. While I noticed the green and a very, very faint orange tint at the base of the tail it’s much more prominent after the soak. With that said you can rest assured that you have a Moroccan.

05/21/13  06:58pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297581

He hasn’t shed anything but his feet and his snout yet. I notice he gets much brighter when hes upset... that’s why you see the bright colors. He gets REALLY pretty whenever I have to give him his meds! Poor Gordo.. I just hope he starts eating again soon.

05/21/13  11:07pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297589

How’s Gordo?

05/24/13  01:33pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297661

He is hiding a little less.. he hangs out most of the afternoon. He is not really active yet. He still does not eat. I got him to nibble 3 bites of greens.. and he had 8 sprouted lentils yesterday. Today he has had one lentil and no greens. I am worried that he wont turn the corner and pick back up. The weather has been really nasty here on and off for about 3 weeks now too.. mostly nasty with a few sunny days in between. I am really hoping that’s why hes out of sorts.

05/24/13  07:36pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297672

Ok.. Gordo does not hide as much anymore.. he sits out in the warmth all day long.. but he still eats NOTHING! This is coming up on three weeks not eating. I am beginning to get scared. I adore him and don’t want him to die. My bearded dragon didn’t eat for over a month but she was HUGE and fat so it really didn’t harm her at all.. but Gordo was skinny to begin with. To get my beardie back on track I force fed her baby food. Is there even a force feed option for Uros? and at what point does that become necessary?

05/26/13  08:41pm

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297740

Force feeding is very stressful for them. I had a baby Ornate that was sick and I thought it would be a food idea to force feed it (so did the vet :/) and the more and more I force fed it and thought I was helping it, the worse the little guy got. He eventually died. Now that particular animal was already far gone when I got him (he arrived sick so I bought him from my work in hopes to save his life) so I doubt force feeding would affect Gordo that severely. Just giving my experiences with it.

On another note, we’ve had baby Uros arrive to work since in bad condition again and I urged EVERYONE I work with to stop touching them at all and just leave them alone. No force feeding, no baths, no nothing. Just change their food and scoop their poop as quick as you can and leave ’em be. All those babies have fully recovered and are super healthy now. It sucked having to watch them lay around and act sick, but I knew that the handling wasn’t making them feel better and it sucks that I had to learn it the hard way with my own baby Uro.

Gordo doesn’t sound like he’s suffering from the same thing those babies had, but I’m just telling you my own personal experience. Force feeding really didn’t help my baby Uro (we were doing it properly too) and leaving the other sick ones alone and letting them work it out helped them recover due to the lack of stress we were putting on them.

Also, you need to buy a special syringe. Prying their jaws apart can be difficult and might result in injury of the animal. I believe Doug sells them on his website.

I would wait to hear from Vers or someone else with more experience in this field but I just thought I’d throw my two cents out there.

05/26/13  08:58pm

QueenKoopa
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2297742

How old is that Moroccon? I got one from Doug Dix as well who’s had similar problems as Gordo recently, and they look exactly alike. I wonder if they’re siblings.

06/19/13  09:55pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: QueenKoopa   In reference to Message Id: 2298644

I was told that hes probably 1.5-2.5 years old or so. He still does not eat on his own. I was instructed how to force feed him by Doug.. and that works. The food gets in him.. he basks in the heat... he poops it out. It keeps him alive.. but I worry that he will never thrive and grow if he does not get over this and eat for himself. Last night he ate a small handful of turnip greens and I was SO excited. He had to have eaten them because they dissapeared... the collards and other stuff in the bowl were still there.. but the turnips were gone. I know that the greens I am feeding him are NOT optimal.. but honestly I put a bit of everything in there hoping he will eat anything. He gets endive, turnip greens, baby romaine, dandelion, squash.. I even tried strawberries one day.. which he did eat a few of. Now that I know I can successfully force feed him.. I am not worried as much about him dying.. but its still not a fun situation. He physically looks a lot better now though.

This was at his worst...

And this is now.

06/20/13  10:32pm

QueenKoopa
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298690

That’s about how old my uro Aza is too. Mine goes through these phases where he doesn’t really eat or poop, it’s very stressful for me. But then he goes back to normal if I sorta leave him alone. I haven’t had to force feed him yet. I hope Gordo gets over it :( Maybe ours are brothers.

06/21/13  03:18pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: QueenKoopa   In reference to Message Id: 2298713

It has been probably about a month and a half maybe... and he still does not eat on his own regularly. I see him take one bite here or there. I do not force feed him everyday.. only if he begins to look sickly and gaunt.. and stops moving around. Very stressfull. If your animal does eat on and off.. I would probably trust the animal to know when its hungry.

06/21/13  11:40pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298724

Stop force feeding him. You are stressing him out. Every time you force feed him, it will take him a week to recover. Just leave him alone and put a good variety of food out for him everyday, in several area of the tank. But please stop force feeding him.

Paul

06/21/13  11:45pm

QueenKoopa
View Profile

Message To: Sahara99   In reference to Message Id: 2298725

It may be stressing the lizard out, but force feeding Gordo may be the only thing that is keeping him alive. Other Uro breeds have histories of this, and sometimes it takes tube feeding and force feeding to eventually get them back on track. Once their system is working better and they’re receiving nutrients, then they might accept something out of the wide variety of food they’re offered. But I’d rather have a stressed out lizard then a dead one. :/

06/23/13  11:51am

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: QueenKoopa   In reference to Message Id: 2298758

We had a sick Uro at work that wasn’t getting any better when we force fed. We left it alone for like a week straight. No handling or anything. Just opened the tank to do some quick cleaning and change the food. It made a full recovery and is now perfectly healthy. Luckily, the tank was already being kept out of the way so hardly any customers walked by it or were able to bother the lizard at all. Sometimes giving them a stress-free week does wonders.

06/23/13  12:43pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2298760

I have given him a stress free month... and it did not make him eat again. I will ONLY force feed if hes on the verge of dying. I have not force fed him in about two weeks at this point. You have to understand.. if I had not done it.. he would probably be dead now. As long as he wakes up... walks around his tank.. basks.. and does not look like a uromastyx corpse.. I leave him alone. I offer him fresh greens twice a day.. and mist them periodically... but he still does not eat. I am contacting a reptile vet in Austin because I do not trust the one I currently have with a Uromastyx.. hes great for my beardie.. but I think a uro is probably just going to be guess work with him.

On a happy note.. he ate two dandelions yesterday!

06/24/13  06:45am

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298795

At least you’re able to get to a reptile vet. The nearest one to me is across the ocean. :/

06/24/13  07:42am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2298795

I believe force feeding was/is the best option--a month of going off feed is too long not to take action. I would continue to do so until the animal has gained back noticeable weight and begins acting normally. I also believe you’re doing the right thing in continuously offering fresh greens. If the animal begins eating on its own it would be wise to discontinue tube feeding. What are you currently offering in ’liquid’ form? And just out of curiosity, what water source are you using to rinse/mist greens with? If its from the tap, have you ever had it tested?

I can’t remember if you mentioned this at all, but did Gordo have any blood work or fecal exams done? If he/she hasn’t had a fecal exam done recently I would recommend having another round performed as soon as you can attain a good sample. How do his/her stools appear now? Because the animal’s immune system has been depleted it’s very likely that internal parasites have multiplied to abnormal levels, which will make recovery a slower, more arduous process. It’s tough for me to say whether or not Gordo can handle a round of antibiotics because I simply lack the information needed to make that call (Doug Dix has significantly more experience in that area) it may be something worth considering.

Lastly, while I know you think the Mazuri pellets may have attributed to or directly resulted in Gordo’s current condition I would try adding a very small amount (a nice fine grind; dry) in a separate dish just to see if that will get his/her appetite drive up and running. While all of my animals eat their greens fairly regularly some will literally charge the food dish when I add more ground Mazuri--It receives a better feeding response than flowers and other desirables. In fact if I don’t take the jar out fast enough my female ornate will try to climb into it in search of the mother load. It’s worth a try, IMO.

06/24/13  10:54am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2298800

I don’t think it was the pellets directly.. but how I offered the pellets to him. I offered the pellets crushed.. and dry.. in a separate dish. He loved them and sat there picking at it. I think he ate that.. ignored his greens.. and it bound him up that first week. I also think the force feeding antibiotics was the REAL beginning of the downward spiral. Had I not started that I believe he would have passed the pellets and began eating again as normal. His stools.. which are infrequent.. are for the most part normal... but often lacking the little puddle that went along with them, but that is because I had stopped force feeding for two weeks. He stopped eating May 8th.. so we are climbing closer to two months not eating on his own. The water I use is fridge filtered.. and I change the filter when the sensor says to.

Since I think the last vet’s course of action landed us here.. I took Gordo all the way to Austin yesterday and sat for 3 hours so he could see a vet that is more familiar with uromastyx. His fecal was clean.. she said he is so small and so dehydrated that she would not be able to get a decent blood sample from him. His xray showed gas in his digestive tract.. but her main concern were his lungs. She said hes so small and its hard to tell for sure.. but they don’t look optimal.

Current course of action was fluids and b-12 sub-q.. and she did a tube feeding in the office. She gave me the oxbow critical care to bring home and told me to feed him 2ml twice a day. Her hope is if we can get him healthier diet wise.. then he can fight whatever might be happening in his lungs. She still would like a blood sample as soon as possible.. so we are going to work on that. She also decided against antibiotics for now.. since she can’t be positive that hes in need of them.

She also wanted to do a barium study to watch his digestive tract.. which I would like to do but have to wait till after the first.. cause all in all yesterday cost me 500.

She also mentioned soaking may be beneficial.. if I could manage to hold his tail out of the water while making sure his vent was in it... sounds challenging... not sure if I want to try that.

She also told me I have to make my beardie greens. My Spike never eats her greens.. crickets only.. and shes a year old now.. so the doc said I have to force her to eat the greens or shes going to end up with problems in her vital organs. SO.. I am going to go buy a food processor.. or something today.. so I can make liquid greens and syringe feed her. An added plus... I will be able to pulverize the mazuri pellets to a powder for Gordo too.

06/25/13  08:15am

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area