Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bab5470   Rjworley   LookingforUro   Rjworley   LookingforUro   Bab5470   Vers   LookingforUro   IROCthisZ28  

Member  Message

Bab5470
View Profile

Hides/Hideouts

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can hide/hideouts for our Uromastyx? She’s outgrown the ones that we can find in the local pet stores - she’s almost 10cm wide.

We ended up getting her a wooden hide which I think was designed for gerbals or hamsters or the like but its not ideal for a number of reasons:

1) Its made out of wood and in a hot enclosure - its probably a fire hazard
2) Difficult to clean and our Uro loves to poo on the top of it.
3) Its too tall - makes it too easy for our Uro to get too close to heat lamps (she climbs up the side of the enclosure) I worry she’ll burn herself

I’d like one with an opening that’s at least 10cm wide - even wider might be preferable. She’s supposedly a Nigerian Uro , but I don’t know how much fatter she might get. I’d like something made of stone or similar material so that its not a fire hazard. Ideally available for purchase online in Canada. Or available for purchase around the GTA (greater toronto area).

Anyone else have suggestions? I’ve thought of making my own but I’m not the most handy and it would probably be a disaster!

Thanks
Brad

05/11/13  05:52pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Bab5470   In reference to Message Id: 2297162

Hides/Hideouts

Go buy a few pieces of slate from Home Depot or lowes, break a piece and use it as stacking stones to place the larger piece of slate onto. Make it an inch or two tall so that your Uro is nice and and snug, place the basking lamp over the slate so it can also be a basking area for your Uro.

05/11/13  08:56pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Bab5470   In reference to Message Id: 2297162

Hides/Hideouts

I have a hide in my uros house that is made from three flat bricks and a piece of slate across the top. He seems to love it.. and its cheap.

05/11/13  09:01pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297180

Hides/Hideouts

LookingforUro did you build your own enclosure? Maybe you could answer some of my questions on my post! :)

05/11/13  09:55pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297184

Hides/Hideouts

Sorry I didn’t.. I wish I was crafty enough to do that. I converted my 125g south american cichlid tank. I threw in some slate tiles.. stacked a bunch of flat garden bricks around and used more slate pieces for the hides.

05/12/13  03:05am

Bab5470
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297179

Hides/Hideouts

Living in a small apartment we don’t have much room, so our Uro’s enclosure is in our living room. We want her enclosure to be as functional AND comfortable for her as possible, but we’re also concerned about it looking as nice as possible since anyone entering our home immediately see’s her enclosure.

A piece of slate on top of some bricks would work, but to be brutally honest, it doesn’t look as aesthetically appealing as we’d prefer. And I’d be concerned that if we were’t careful she might end up getting pinned underneath it. (I suppose we could use a hot glue gun to assure that couldn’t happened?)

Above the slate it looks like you have some sort of hide? Can I ask where you got that from? Its hard to be certain from the photo, but it looks like that might be big enough for her to fit into?

05/12/13  09:58am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Bab5470   In reference to Message Id: 2297203

Hides/Hideouts

You can make hides by pouring a relatively thin (~1" thick) concrete slab (use expanded metal for additional strength) and some foamboard pieces cut to approximately 1.5-2"x1-1.5" (HxW) as the hide walls/perimeter. Simply pour the shape you want for the slab/top on a perfectly flat surface covered with plastic and allow it to cure for a few days. I like to spray the top with water and place a piece of plastic over it to give the slab some character. Once the top is structurally sound cut and arrange your foam sides, leaving a small entrance, and, using a good quality glue like gorilla glue, adhere the pieces to the bottom of the slab (which should be perfectly flat). Be sure to leave around 1/4" lip along the outer perimeter in order to apply concrete to the walls. Use clamps or weight the pieces down while the glue cures completely. Once fixed in place you can carve the outer face of the foam--make sure it remains rough enough or simply score it to allow the concrete to adhere properly. Mix a slightly watery batch of concrete (I prefer buff colored sand/topping mix with acrylic fortifier for everything) and brush on the base coat using a cheap chip brush or paint brush. After the base coat dries you can mix a thicker batch and apply a couple more coats. Make sure the bottom stays clean and level so the hide sits flat on the enclosure floor. This will help retain humidity. As for the interior walls, I line mine with 1/4" acrylic or laminate strips to prevent the animal from turning it into confetti. If anything, you can coat the interior walls using concrete, but be sure to protect the foam some how.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot.

05/12/13  12:25pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297205

Hides/Hideouts

The dome hide is from Petco.. its large enough to fit an adult uro if its one of the smaller species like an ornate. The opening is just under 4 inches wide.

05/12/13  01:04pm

IROCthisZ28
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2297206

Hides/Hideouts

Im am new to the forum, but you could always go the Styrofoam/grout way and you can customize the hide to how you want to look. Also there are a ton of color choices as well that you can make it into. Just an idea =)

07/08/13  08:06pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area