Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rjworley   Sie fat uro   Vers   Rjworley   Vers   Rjworley   Vers   Rjworley   Vers   Rjworley   Rjworley   Vers   Rjworley   Vers   Rjworley   Rjworley  

Member  Message

Rjworley
View Profile

Gonna build a couple enclosures (need advice)

So I plan on building a couple stackable enclosures for my girlfriends beardie and my Uro, what should I build it out of? What should I seal it with? What heat fixtures do I need (to place inside the tank)? How can I get my UVB fixtures to stay mounted in the enclosures? Should I use a swinging glass door(with a lock) or sliding glass doors? How big of vents, how many?

05/11/13  11:28am

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297148

Plywood is fine for wood sliding doors the wood should be about 1.5 cm 1/2 inch thick. The rest dpemdin on how big you want the viv...N and for UVB the starters come with fixtures ... Drill a hole and screw em on the bulb will clip in... And run the two fittings through a vent each side ( give the vents little ears witha drill for cables you can have your UVB and main bulb cables running through the ears and you take the vent out to take Out the whole thing...

05/13/13  05:30pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Sie fat uro   In reference to Message Id: 2297250

I would advise against using 1/2" ply unless there is some decent interior framing. 3/4" (preferably formaldehyde free cabinet grade birch or oak) would be a much better choice and it would be rigid enough to stand alone with just a bit of quality wood glue, 2" finish nails and or 1.5-1.75" wood screws. You can add a few corner brackets inside if you would like. Once built you can seal the interior with a low VOC, non-toxic water based polycrylic OR line the interior with sheet laminate (like you would use on a counter top) or fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) board using tile as a substrate.

As far as fixtures are concerned, I would highly recommend lightyourreptiles(dot)com for an Arcadia T5 HO setup (bulb and fixture). For basking, an outdoor flood light setup would be ideal. I would grab a circular outdoor electrical box and cap and a couple adjustable bulb holders along with a couple dimmable outdoor rated PAR30 or PAR38 halogen flood lamps. You will most definitely want to have these lamps hooked up to a dimmer, rheostat or thermostat to better control temperatures. For additional ambient I would look into daylight rated fluorescent bulbs, be they linear (T5, T8, NO/HO) or 23w(+) daylight rated non UV compact (CFL). If you go the CFL route you can use the same circular outdoor electrical box with an adjustable bulb holder. This will help keep the bulb up closer to the ceiling of the enclosure. You can either wire these fixtures directly or link each one to switches.

For ventilation, you can add a small (2-3") vent or two down low on the cool end and a couple more up top on the back or side walls to aid in air flow. This will help suck cool(er) air in on the cool end and warm air out of the top. It would be wise to have access to these vents to open and close/block them as needed.

Door wise either option would work, but you may have an easier time using sliding glass doors on plastic or aluminum track. 1/4" safety glass or plexi would be best.

If you would like you can check out some of my enclosures here: Link

05/13/13  06:47pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297254

So how do I get the UVB fixture to stay mounted inside the enclosure? Industrial strengtg velcro or what?

05/14/13  11:35am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297291

The fixture will come with pressure fitting clips that you can screw to a mounting board or directly to the ceiling of the enclosure. The screws that come with them are garbage, but you can easily find more suitable screws (with a low head profile) at most home improvement stores. It’s also very important to note that T5 HO fluorescent bulbs, especially 12% variants, are a lot more powerful than typical non-HO (NO) UVB fluorescent bulbs. They should be mounted at a reasonable distance and well out of reach of your animals. I would also mount them on a slight tilt directed towards the basking area. You want to provide a basking area with and without UVB. I would advise placing the fixture(s) towards the front of the enclosure tilted slightly towards the center/back wall. This will aim the light away from the viewer/keeper and will direct UV towards the center of the enclosure and basking surface.

05/14/13  11:59am

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297294

Okay well I already have a T5 HO 10.0 36" bulb and fixture. How can I mount this safely, and securely?
Link

05/14/13  01:58pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297300

Without seeing details of the fixture itself I can’t say. Did it not come with mounting hardware? Does it have mounting holes?

05/14/13  02:58pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297303

There are no mounting holes, which is a bummer, i’ll have to make some manually. Maybe i’ll use a few nuts and bolts to mount it. I just don’t want any fire hazard, I want it to be secure and tight so it won’t come crashing down.

05/14/13  03:04pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297304

You can always drill a couple pilot holes in the top of the hood and, using pan head screws, mount the fixture to a longer 1x3 or 1x4 or directly to the ceiling.

05/14/13  03:18pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297305

Yeah, you think that’d be secure enough?

05/14/13  04:27pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297307

And also do you think you could give LookingforUro some info on why his Uro hasn’t eaten or had a bowel movement in 6 days? His post should be directly under mine. Thanks

05/14/13  04:32pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297307

Yes, it should be plenty secure. Just make sure if you drill pilot holes into the ceiling or the mounting board they aren’t too large and be sure not to strip either hole out when screwing the screw in. The pilots your drill in the fixture’s hood, however, should be larger in diameter than the screw threads. You also want to use screws with pretty coarse threads to ensure they take good hold. Look for a decently large diameter pan head/truss screw. If you’re using 3/4" material a 1/2"-3/4" screw will be fine.

I’ll also touch on that other thread, which I must have overlooked.

05/14/13  05:41pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297311

Alright, thanks for the info, melamine board okay for an enclosure? And I’ll be posting a video of my Uro eating a hibiscus flower (grown by myself) sometime soon. And I’ll post a video of myself building the enclosure if you’re interested. :)

05/14/13  06:05pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297313

Melamine will never get a thumbs up from me, but if you have to use it I can’t tell you not to. It will work, but cabinet grade ply is a much more solid material to use. I can understand why it appeals to a lot of people for this application...it’s relatively cheap, prefinished and it seems rugged, but particle board is garbage, IMO.

As for videos/pics, I’m all for that--no complaints here :)

05/14/13  06:15pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2297314

Alrighty, I’ll let you know when their up. :)

05/14/13  06:37pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2297317

Alright, here you go! He was interested in the camera, decided go and try to take a bite out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S94n4xG7Xc&feature=youtu.be

05/14/13  06:46pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area