Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Herpseeker   LookingforUro   Sie fat uro   Herpseeker   Benedita  

Member  Message

Herpseeker
View Profile

Sleeping

1) How long have you owned the animal 7 months

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size

48" x 13" x 21"

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
mali uromastyx, unknown length or weight

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
just the mali

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
122 degrees, digital thermometer

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.

90 degrees in the warmer side, about 80 in the cooler side with a digital thermometer

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
reptiglo 10, it’s about 7 months old, i need a new one i know

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed

escarole, endive, dandelion greens, everyday, turnip greens on sundays.

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used

repticalcium three times a week and herptivite once a week

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand

currently using newspaper

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….

lights turn on at 9 he doesn’t come out of his hide until about 11 then eats basks for a few hours until 5 then goes back to sleep

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.

good, he eats everything in his bowl unless its raddicchio

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
I just worry he sleeps too much, no new modifications just needs a new UVB bulb

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.

I don’t handle him unless i am cleaning his tank, that’s about it.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

i have taken him to the vet several times when i first got him, he had parasites, i have to take him back in a few weeks for a check up.

05/02/13  05:35pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2296714

Sleeping

When I first got my uro.. I noticed that if he fell asleep in the cool side hide.. he woke up later.. and went to sleep earlier. When I encouraged him to sleep in the hot side hide.. he woke up about 3 hours earlier.. and went to sleep a few hours later as well. I think maybe your ambient temps are too low. The cool side of my uros house is 90.. and at that temp he was sleeping a lot more. The hot side of his house is about 102.. (basking 126) and he is much more active when he sleeps there.

On a side note.. my uro has been sleeping a lot in the past 2 days.. for no apparent reason. He didn’t even eat yesterday which is really weird for him.

05/03/13  01:24pm

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296743

Sleeping

To be honest his temps are about 5degrees of on all 85 cool 95 warm and 130basking is the target temps with+-5degrees. The uv bulb can make a surprising difference as the ambient light levels in general are affected heavily by these and also they can see into the uv Spectrum. Try to get a t5 flourescent tube (3ft is good for a 4ft tank) 12.0 is better but a 10.0 is ok. Arcadia’s desert d3+ is probably the best on the market and is available in the states I think. Also just as a heads up the t5 repuire. a different sized starter to the t8 but it’s worth it as the market is slowly becoming solely t5 bulbs as they put out more light from a smaller bulb. (Arcadia no longer make t8).

05/03/13  05:58pm

Herpseeker
View Profile

Message To: Sie fat uro   In reference to Message Id: 2296766

Sleeping

Thank you both, i figured temps have something to do with it, his temps are getting too low at night too, i might have to buy a ceremic heat emitter bulb too along with a new UVB next month.

05/03/13  08:11pm

Benedita
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2296714

Sleeping

48x13x21 are your LxWxH dimensions?
are you using a 55g long aquarium tank?
this isn’t enough ’floor space’ for the animal.
48x24 is what you want. height can vary depending on your lighting/uvb set up, generally 18-24 inches is recommended.
Please build a bigger enclosure. then revisit your uvb & heating set up.
you will have a much easier time getting the thermal gradient, and your mali will be better off.

05/04/13  11:49am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area