Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uronor   LookingforUro   Steadfast   LookingforUro   Vers   Uronor   Vers  

Member  Message

Uronor
View Profile

Uromastyx Rarity

I’ve been researching Uromastyx for over a year, reading everything published and online that I can get my hands on. We’ve also raised an Ornata over the same period with great results and much enjoyment. I’m looking at getting a pair of Uros to breed in the near future. I like the idea of propogating a species that is both a challenge to breed and is not yet well established in the US, so I am considering other species, namely Philbyi or Yemenesis. I see that thomasi are starting to show up, but the price and extreme rarity steers me away from them. Best left for a seasoned breeder.

Potential freezes on imports has been discussed in other threads. Which species do you project will be most impacted by this in the US? With my goal being sharing the hobby with my daughter and contributing to an under or unestablished Uro population in the US, which species would you pick to breed?

Thanks.

04/29/13  10:54am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Uronor   In reference to Message Id: 2296501

Uromastyx Rarity

Both very pretty but if I had to choose one .. id say Philbyi because im partial to blue!

04/30/13  01:23am

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296547

Uromastyx Rarity

I would say Philbyi also! They are super sweet and friendly.

07/05/13  09:47pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Steadfast   In reference to Message Id: 2299296

Uromastyx Rarity

Is the Yemensis what many call the Rainbow Benti?? If thats the same lizard.. they are not as hard to get as the Philbyi. I have seen CB Rainbow babies for sale.. I dont think I have ever seen CB Philbyi babies for sale. I have only been watching the uro sights for the last year though.

07/06/13  12:19am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Uronor   In reference to Message Id: 2296501

Uromastyx Rarity

I would seriously recommend steering clear of species that are notoriously difficult to breed, leaving those to more experienced individuals. If actual breeders have had issues with these species chances are your luck would be very slim. With that said I haven’t seen or heard of any information that states U. philbyi are a challenge to breed, per se, it’s just that they, up until recently, were very uncommon in N. American herpetoculture. From what I understand Doug Dix has obtained a good breeding stock, but I’ve yet to hear of any hatches as of yet. A few years ago Tom Greb produced the first publicly recognized philbyi hatch from a pair he bred himself; most of those individuals were since sold off. U. yemenensis, while not as common as U. ornata, U. geyri or U. maliensis, is not really a "rare" species as they have been imported within the past few years and various people have established breeding pairs with good success. Either way both species would be fairly reasonable species to try and CB assuming they were acclimated prior. The biggest issue with the latter, rainbow benti/U. yemenensis, seems to be in regards to getting them to eat captive diet items. So, if you were to start with this species, it would be a good idea to look into well established or very young individuals.

07/06/13  10:58am

Uronor
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2299309

Uromastyx Rarity

Thanks for the responses. I left out a bit of info on my original post in April. I had found someone selling their reptile collection locally, which included a pair of Philbyi and Benti.

I ended up bringing home the Philbyi pair. They were well cared for and healthy. I’ve had them about 2 1/2 months now, both doing fantastic. The male is coming into his own, he just shed his tail exposing the same teal blue of his body. The female is younger, somewhere between juvenile and sub-adult.

I have them housed together, so far so good, but have a second set-up if needed. I almost separated them in early May, as the male was trying to mate with the female. She is clearly not of breading age, but apparently she was close enough to trigger the male. The behavior passed after the first week, and she didn’t seem put off by the courting. I had previously read that sub-adults/adults generally don’t show aggression toward much smaller juveniles. Apparently this does not apply to sexual aggression. He will still offer up a push-up or head bob now and then, she will return the head-bob on occasion. Not sure what to make of this as of yet. Vers I believe you had paired your Ornates then separated due to aggression. Do you still have your Philbyi paired? Was head bobbing a pre-cursor to more blatant aggression with your Ornates?

Neither avoids or chases the other, both are eating very well and have healthy basking and activity routines.

07/06/13  09:18pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Uronor   In reference to Message Id: 2299319

Uromastyx Rarity

Nice, congrats on the pickups. If you ever get a chance you should post a few pics.

My ornates were once housed together in both a 4x2 and a 6x2. They were separated shortly after they had been moved into the larger enclosure, but showed no signs of aggression or territorial behavior prior. My male ended up becoming extremely territorial of the primary basking spot (there were two, one on each side) and began constantly biting at the female’s limbs and flanks. This was clearly not courting behavior so I separated them almost immediately. This past spring I put the male in with my female. After she charged him he grabbed on to her neck and within seconds they were locked up. Unfortunately nothing came of it but there’s always next year. My philbyi, on the other hand, have been together since I received them. I have yet to witness any signs of aggression yet, but there does seem to he a bit of tension between the two at times. She also seems to be growing at a slower rate, so I may end up moving them into a larger enclosure to give them more personal space. I can only hope that they won’t follow the same path as my ornates...but since they are still relatively young its anyone’s guess.

07/07/13  03:29pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area