Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LookingforUro   Sie fat uro   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   Sie fat uro   Rjworley   LookingforUro   Vers   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Vers   Sie fat uro   LookingforUro  

Member  Message

LookingforUro
View Profile

Is Gordo a boy or a girl?

So.. I know to sex a uro the best way would be to look under his tail near his vent. Problem is.. Gordo does NOT like his tail touched.. and he is still to new to our house that I don’t want to stress him out. Everyone says head shape too.. so I took a bunch of pics.. and would love to see what people think.

On a side note.. does his tail look ok?

04/27/13  07:26pm

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296395

looks like a female but is a bit young to tell easily

04/28/13  05:10am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296395

I’m leaning male based on the head size and shape, which may seem larger than it actually is because the animal is a bit lean. Then again, you’re going to get a better opinion once you can have the ventral side, specifically the vent area, examined, but I understand your hesitance towards doing so.

04/28/13  10:23am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296420

Here are some side views of Gordo.

Does he still look skinny to you? If so.. how do I fatten him up? I want him to be healthy.

04/30/13  02:48pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296580

It doesn’t look thin per se, just a bit lean. Frankly most people are so accustom to seeing overweight uros that they might consider your moro very thin, but I think it looks fairly healthy. Has it been eating regularly and in good quantity?

04/30/13  04:40pm

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296593

Is the Uro cb or wc/cf as it looks a little skinny (not too bad ) but it’s the tail as it had no real storage in it it should be more bulbous near the base as it is used to store food as fat and in cb specimens it is a good indicator or previous neglect as it will take months for it to build up again but in the wild they pften have thin tails as they may have recently come out of brumation or from the journey / importation.But as long as it is given a good diet it will have no need for its fat reserves meaning that it will have some time to renew it

04/30/13  04:49pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Sie fat uro   In reference to Message Id: 2296595

It looks like a male in my opinion, by the shape of the head and the wide base of the tail. The most accurate way to tell wether its a male or female is checking the vent area, (like Vers said) He does look like he could bulk up a little though.

04/30/13  05:16pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2296599

I thought he was WC but from what I understand there have not been Moroccan imports for a while, so I am not positive. The breeder I bought him from has both wc and cb uros.. just not sure which he was. Is it at all possible that hes not a Moroccan? I don’t know uros well enough to tell. I can tell a Mali... I can tell an Egyptian.. or Saharan.. but other wise.. idk.

Anyway.. he eats every day. Some days he eats everything in his bowl.. and I put in more. Some days he leaves a bit behind. It all depends on what I feed him too. He really hates endive and escarole.. which sucks for me. He loves dandelion greens though.. and he will devour those. He also devours every bite when I feed him butternut squash. He gets about 15 sprouted lentils once a week... he eats those within a minute. He gets flowers every other day or so... but I only give him 2-3 flowers, pansies and dandelions. So.. as far as I know he eats well. I have never kept a uro before so I dont know what a normal quantity is.. but he eats a TON more than my bearded dragon.. and hes half her size. Hes got a little reptile bowl.. and I put a heaping salad on it.

04/30/13  10:35pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296622

Yes, you certainly do have a moroccan--there is no doubt about it. As far as I know Rockabirdie just started collecting and building his breeding stock rather recently and at this point its not apparent that he’s bred any of those specimens. I could be wrong, but I believe most of the reptiles he sells are imports, especially uros. With that said, there was a pretty decent influx of moroccans a year or so ago, and this was pretty apparent based on the large number of them that were up for sale on the classifieds. I’m fairly certain these were mostly imported animals, be they ltc or farmed.

Your animal’s appetite sounds normal to me. I would, however, try and get it eating more endive and escarole and perhaps think about adding timothy and or orchard grass (you can grow it easily yourself) or Mazuri tortoise pellets, which are more nutritionally balanced for these animals.

05/01/13  07:48am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296635

Ok.. I was pretty sure he told me they were wc. I talked to so many different breeders about so many different animals that I could not remember for sure.

I have looked for the tortoise pellets before.. the ones I have been able to find were a compressed hay type.. and he would not touch those. I will look for the Mazuri ones online. I have timothy hay and orchard grass for my chinchilla.. but they are dried. I will take a look at lowes for some that I can grow. Thanks for always answering my many questions so quickly!

05/01/13  08:47am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296638

Ordered 1lb of tortoise pellets. I am so glad I looked for them.. I found my old hamster and rabbit foods too!! Petsmart stopped selling them about a year ago. 25 lbs of rabbit food sounds like a lot.. but it was so cheap!

05/01/13  09:38am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296638

You want to feed the timothy and orchard grass fresh or semi-dried and chopped. If you were to feed the dried stuff (make sure there isn’t any alfalfa) I would probably grind it up in a food processor or coffee grinder and just sprinkle it on fresh greens. I would recommend grinding dried Mazuri pellets as well (a coffee grinder or food processor would work best). I usually do this in small batches and put the coarse ground mixture into a ziplock or a jar with a lid to try and keep it fresh. When you offer it you can simply place it in a dish alone or on some fresh greens. I’ve found putting it on moist greens tends to be a bit messy as the Mazuri tends to clump and stick to the food dish, which makes it a bit of a pain to have to clean. Either way is effective, though.

Happy to help, by the way--that’s what a community is all about.

05/01/13  12:28pm

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296651

Actually you will see later on with age but it may be a u.dispar I have a pair and it looks quite like my female (the head shape is definately pointing female and tail base is no Indication of sex...) I can get a pic up
Of my big male if you want to see the size of the cheeks on an adult male and my female remins me I should get some pics of my lot up

05/13/13  05:44pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Sie fat uro   In reference to Message Id: 2297251

I always love seeing pictures of other Uros!

05/13/13  07:03pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area