Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Vers   Ron burgundy   LookingforUro   Vers   Orcace   Vers   LookingforUro   Vers   Rjworley   Vers   Steadfast   Vers   Steadfast  

Member  Message

Vers
View Profile

New Male Moro

After a long wait my Moroccans finally made it here. I’ve been giving them time to settle in before bothering them with any real photo ops but I did manage to grab a few cellphone shots of the adult male, which is truly a stunning animal in person.

I’ll grab some better shots soon enough.

04/21/13  02:18pm

Ron burgundy
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296005

New Male Moro

Beautiful!

04/21/13  06:41pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ron burgundy   In reference to Message Id: 2296024

New Male Moro

How are his colors in person? I find that when I take pics of Gordo you cant see his bright yellow back and lime green sides.. and his orange stripe down the middle of his tail. I have been wanting to take him outside and see what his colors look like in the sunlight but even here in Texas it has not been warm enough to do that yet. I am going to wait until its at least in the 90s outside.

04/21/13  11:58pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296048

New Male Moro

Thanks fellas. His colors in person are more vivid, which will be more apparent the next time I post images of him.

04/22/13  12:31pm

Orcace
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296063

New Male Moro

Very nice. Are they WC? that male has good weight on him.

04/23/13  09:19pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Orcace   In reference to Message Id: 2296177

New Male Moro

Thanks, O. I believe they were WC (both he and the juvi I have). He has decent weight on him, but he’s got plenty of room to bulk up.

04/24/13  03:31pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296218

New Male Moro

From everything I have read.. Moroccans are supposed to be very difficult to sex. Can you tell me how do you know that’s a boy? How do I tell what I have for sure? I would love to get a second.. female obviously. Do they live well together? Will I be able to just add her into his house.. or him into her house.. whichever way it goes?

04/25/13  10:55pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2296309

New Male Moro

Yes, young moro individuals are/can be difficult to sex, but as they mature they begin showing more obvious physical signs. Based on the photos I posted you can tell straight away that he is male just by looking at the head shape and size. If he were a few years younger I might have had to depend on other physical characteristics, specifically hemipenal bulges (or lack thereof), which is arguably the easiest and most accurate sexing method. If you just google the term you should be able to figure the rest out. As for successfully housing multiple individuals, it’s a crapshoot, even with species that are more tolerant of cagemates. If you want to add another I would suggest the following:
-Confirm sex of both individuals
-Have a complete backup setup readily available
-Provide multiple or a single large basking area

Uromastyx are notoriously tricky to pair longterm and one individual can turn on another very quickly without presenting any noticeable warning signs. Even if the two seem fine together you should have a backup plan at the ready, especially once breeding begins. During this time females are known to become increasingly territorial, which opens up the possibility of strife between she and any other cagemate, be it male or female. Of course this isn’t always the case, but it’s common enough.

04/26/13  01:42pm

Rjworley
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296005

New Male Moro

Upload some new pics!

04/26/13  05:05pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rjworley   In reference to Message Id: 2296341

New Male Moro

I’m going to give them both a bit more time to settle in before I go sticking my camera in their faces--they are both still very skittish. In fact, I think I’ve decided on a name for the little one: Feist, short for feisty. He/She actually came after me, torso torqued, mouth agape and hissing, while I was working on the lower enclosure...and it’s only around 5-6" long.

Pics will come soon enough, though :)

04/27/13  08:09am

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2296365

New Male Moro

Hey Matt, I see this is an older post but congrats on your Moroccan! Do you have any updated photos? He looks to be an Acanthinurus Werneri. Has he settled in to his new home?

08/15/13  02:42pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Steadfast   In reference to Message Id: 2300468

New Male Moro

Thanks, man. I’ve been allowing him to settle in since I got him, which is taking some time, so I haven’t really had a chance to take any updated snaps of him. Every time I get close enough with my camera he either darts off or tries to, at which point I back off. With that said he’s most definitely U. a. nigriventris based on the number of tail whorls.

08/15/13  08:01pm

Steadfast
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2300475

New Male Moro

Awesome little guy!

08/15/13  09:22pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area