Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Benson803   Vers   Benson803   Nick(uromastyxman)   Vers   Benson803   Benson803   Suricruise111  

Member  Message

Benson803
View Profile

New Niger

Hey guys its been far too long since my last post!
I bought a Red Nigerian Uromastyx from Pet Supply Plus
He’s definately a male. (junk buldge/pores)
He’s eating well but unfortunately the pet store got him addicted to crickets and seeds so ive had trouble switching him to a mainly veggie diet. As with my arabian he ignores lentils, sprouted or soaked.
Just my luck i get the only two uros in the world that dont do backflips for a lentil!
Yesterday i was able to get a good lens for my nikon so i had a great photo sesh with him (flashless of course:])
Unfortunately these photos are too large for upload on here so I’ll link to them on photobucket below!!:]

Photobucket Link!

01/25/13  09:56pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2290490

New Niger

Good to see you posting again, man. How is your philbyi doing? I’d love to see an update.

Anyway, congrats on the new addition. I Love the defensive pose he’s showing off in those images... flattening himself out and tilting his torso like that. Care to share more about the enclosure and lighting setup?

In regards to the lenitls, try leaving a small dish of dry lentils in the enclosure or drop a few soaked lentils on top of their greens. Just keep offering them until they figure things out.

Lastly, stop messing around with PhtoBucket and get yourself a Flickr account! Haha...seriously, it’s a lot better.

01/26/13  10:33am

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2290512

New Niger

Good to be back! I was bored and remembered i could forum surf on here for hours!

My philbyi is doing well, but hes in brumation:/ I dont get to see him as much anymore:/

Thank you! He’s beautiful:] Yes he was not happy with the big camera pointing at him making noises!
The enclosure is the same exoterra tank as the Philbyi is in. My neighbors water dragon died and he decided that burning incense in his room so he could smoke pot in there would be a better choice than owning another reptile, so he sold it to me. I know its a little small, but in the near future i hope to get a female and house them together!

Lighting: UVB- I am using a zilla T8 slimline desert (fixture/bulb combo) suspended inside the tank
Heat: I was originally running exoterra 150 watt bulbs with both, but a week or so ago his blew out and i found a 100watt outdoor bulb in my dads (electrician) truck and it is giving me way better temps! Basking spot is 117 today ambient is 83 cool side is 80 using my infared therm.

I’ll try the dry lentils idea! they like strawberries ive found! Also what are good types of squash to feed?

I need to use flickr! haha. Photobucket does suck. it took me 15 minutes to move my photos to their own album -__________-

01/26/13  11:56am

Nick(uromastyxman)
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2290516

New Niger

Uro so Healthy as what I see in the pics

01/26/13  09:43pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2290516

New Niger

Very cool. My philbyi and geyri have been very inactive this winter as well.

Out of curiosity are you using the hammock as a primary basking spot? Also, the bulb you found, are you sure it’s an outdoor halogen flood lamp? I ask because that basking surface temp, assuming it’s some sort of solid surface, seems low for a 100w outdoor halogen. If there is screen between the bulb and the basking spot that would cause lower surface temps as well. Would you mind posting a shot of the entire enclosure?

01/26/13  10:34pm

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2290565

New Niger

No his hammock is behind the basking rocks! His basking spot isnt very tall, he’s so large and strong i thought he might tip over a tall stack. His enclosure is very boring at the moment due to the fact that i have no objects he can fit into to spare haha. also i was trying to maximize floor space. I’ll snap a photo in the morning!

01/27/13  10:00pm

Benson803
View Profile

Message To: Nick(uromastyxman)   In reference to Message Id: 2290564

New Niger

01/27/13  10:02pm

Suricruise111
View Profile

Message To: Benson803   In reference to Message Id: 2290652

New Niger

Thanks a lot for sharing interesting information with us and i like this.

Link

05/09/13  02:30am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area