Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AjasKeeper   Vers   AjasKeeper   AjasKeeper   Vers   AjasKeeper  

Member  Message

AjasKeeper
View Profile

UVA overpowering UVB?

I have an almost 2 year old (I think) female Mali, Aja. Just a quick run down of the technical stuff:
Enclosure- 4x2x2; CHE 100 watt; UVB 10.0; temps range about 94F on the hot side, 85F on the cool side (I don’t have a temp gun-so I’m not sure of basking temp); substrate-washed play sand; Diet-rotation of dandelion greens, escarole, endive, bok Choy, speghetti squash, apple, chive, lentils, parakeet seed.

All was well with the world. Until i started noticing that my temperatures were dropping. It would barely get in the low 90’s on the hot side. I decided to replace my CHE. I had read articles where people said that when they turned their CHE off at night, it didnt last as long as the package stated. (I have all my heating/lighting hooked up to a timer to turn on at 8am and off at 8pm. And I chose to turn off the heating to simulate the cool temps of the desert. So at night it gets about 78F). But, of course, CHE are more than my budget allows me to spend on a light (I’m a broke college student, y’all. Don’t judge). So as a quick fix I bought a regular 150watt basking bulb until I could afford the CHE. It brought Aja’s temps up beautifully -into an ambient temp of about 98F. Part of me thinks she loved it because she never had it that high, but part of me wondered if it were too hot-SINCE it had never been that high. I actually thought of keeping that bulb...and it’s crazy brightness. But now my question is Does the UVA of the regular basking light interfere with the UVB of the florescent bulb? Since its so much brighter? Or am I just completely screwing my girl up? Because I have since gotten another 100watt CHE and now it just seems so bland and dull in there since the regular bulb is gone. I’m so lost, y’all! HELP!

06/22/12  04:28pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: AjasKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2270885

UVA overpowering UVB?

Although I have no idea how you’re measuring UV frequencies, to my knowledge higher UVA levels will not overpower lower UVB levels. What you should be more concerned with is whether or not your UVB levels are up to par in the first place, and the only way you will know is if you have a UV meter. Replacing bulbs every 6 months will (semi)ensure that you’re keeping UVB levels up, but there is no way of telling if you received an effective bulb in the first place or how long the bulb will continue to produce effective amounts of UVB...it’s all guestimation. Regardless of this I can suggest purchasing a medium-high wattage OUTDOOR halogen flood lamp (~$4-8) to replace your monster 150w basking bulb, which will cut down on energy costs while still producing plenty of heat to keep temps within respectable levels. If you have a rheostat or dimmer switch/cord it would allow you to adjust output of the bulb to dial in temps perfectly without messing with bulb/basking surface heights. I would also suggest adding a 23-30w 6500K daylight rated non-UVB compact fluorescent to bump ambient light levels up--you want the entire enclosure very, very well lit during day cycles. Remember where these animals are from--as long as you are providing plenty of hiding spaces they will deal just fine.

Also, one last thing: when it comes time to replace your UVB fluorescent I would highly recommend looking into Arcadia 12% fluorescent lighting, preferably the t5 HO option. These, along with affordable fixture options, can be found for the same price as less efficient UVB fluorescent lighting at lightyourreptiles.com. Save your pennies--it’ll be worth it!

Matt

06/22/12  05:19pm

AjasKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2270889

UVA overpowering UVB?

Thank you so much!

06/22/12  06:03pm

AjasKeeper
View Profile

Message To: AjasKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2270893

UVA overpowering UVB?

Yesterday after our chat, I went to Lowes (along with Home Depot and Wal-Mart) to find the medium high (that’s about 65-75 watt?) halogen flood 5000K-6500K bulb. I had no such luck. Where else would I find a bulb like that?

06/23/12  09:17am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: AjasKeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2270927

UVA overpowering UVB?

I think you misunderstood. You want a 50-65w outdoor halogen and a dimmer cord /plug in switch for basking. Look for the coolest color temp they offer. In addition you also want a 23-30w 6500k daylight rated compact fluorescent...which ever will provide the most lumens. You will use this bulb for supplemental light, be it in the center and or on the cool end of the enclosure.

06/23/12  12:55pm

AjasKeeper
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2270939

UVA overpowering UVB?

Oh well I figured both lights would need to be the same color. Ok. Thank you!

06/26/12  07:34pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area