Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SnapperSean1999   JEFF QUARLES   SnapperSean1999   JEFF QUARLES   SnapperSean1999   JEFF QUARLES   SnapperSean1999   JEFF QUARLES   JEFF QUARLES  

Member  Message

SnapperSean1999
View Profile

New guinea snapping turtle temperament and care?

Hello everyone I plan on getting my first turtle soon and the one I have in mind is the new guinea snapping turtle I plan on keeping it when its young in a 80 gallon aquarium then as it gets older I will move it to a 90-120 gallon aquarium that is if it is by itself of course but when I keep the turtles together they will be in a much larger aquarium or very large turtle tub. I need to know how aggressive the new guinea snapping turtle is in general towards other turtle species and their handler, how aggressive are they during feeding time towards other turtles, do they get much more aggressive when they hit sexual maturity or adult age are they like the argentine side necked turtle phrynops hilarii which is fine when they are young but get much more aggressive when older are the new guinea snapping turtles usually like the argentine side neck turtles in which they also get very aggressive when they get older, and how well would they do in a community tank with other species of turtle that have similar requirements and needs in general. My strategy is going to be adding one turtle at a time while learning more and slowly upgrading tank size. The other species I want to keep with the new guinea snapping turtle that all have very similar needs are the red ear slider, the african side neck turtle/pelusios castaneus, and the gibba turtle/phrynops gibbus. I already know for the new guinea snapping turtle some care like pH, temperature, water depth, and diet requirements they have care sheets for that but only very little which I found on foreign sites and forums which said they are not like their name implies they are actually quite tame and might be nippy at the most in general but there is always the possibility of getting a very mean one just like with any turtle. I want to know what you guys think will happen in the long run with mixing these turtles and what my success rate will be of having them live together. Finally has anyone ever kept this species before and if you have can you tell me what your experiences with them were like, what were their temperament and personalities like for you and if you have kept them with other turtles how has that worked out for you good or bad and can you guys give me any good tips on proper care for them?

10/24/15  08:20pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: SnapperSean1999   In reference to Message Id: 2315366

It’s an awesome turtle. I’ve never seen one except on YouTube. Are you getting it online or an expo? Most importantly keep the water temp 82-84 .

10/25/15  09:09am

SnapperSean1999
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2315367

Im probably going to get one online but if I see one at an expo I will most likely pick it up. It is an awesome turtle from what I have read and seen and I agree the water temp should be kept at 82-84 but do you know anything on their aggression at all?

10/25/15  12:14pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: SnapperSean1999   In reference to Message Id: 2315370

They are not as aggressive as the common snapper but will snap at you if irritated.

10/25/15  06:33pm

SnapperSean1999
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2315373

Ya they are pretty aggressive towards their handlers at times but how aggressive are they towards other turtle species I need to know this info because I want to keep a new guinea snapper in a community tank with other turtles like the red ear slider, and the african side neck turtle/pelusios castaneus are some examples of turtles I want to keep with a new guinea snapping turtle in a large aquarium or turtle tub. Do you think that they can mix well or is the new guinea snapper to aggressive of a species of turtle like the common snapping turtle or do you think they aren’t to bad temperament wise like they can be nippy but won’t destroy their tank mates and do you think I could mix a new guinea snapping turtle with other turtle species like the ones I listed?

10/25/15  10:54pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: SnapperSean1999   In reference to Message Id: 2315377

Like most animals it’s not a good idea to house multiple turtles, especially makes. The more dominant male will chew on the feet, tails and edge of the weaker turtles shells.

10/26/15  04:21am

SnapperSean1999
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2315378

Ya I may not do that but I have experience with mixing turtle species my cousin used to mix red ear sliders with african side neck turtles and siebenrockis snake necked turtles and it worked out pretty well so I might try and mix turtles with a new guinea snapping turtle if they aren’t an aggressive species and if there is a problematic turtle I will move it out of the community tank and into its own tank but do you know how aggressive new guinea snapping turtles/elseya novaguineae are in general like on a scale of 1-10 how aggressive are they in general towards other turtle species because I asked someone at a reptile store who said they knew about the species and he told me they are at a 9 out of 10 and that they are as aggressive as the argentine sideneck turtle/phrynops hiarii when they become adults is what he said true or are they not that bad and do the new guinea snappers get much more aggressive when they hit adult maturity like he said or are they good turtles at all sizes like the turtle source say’s?

10/26/15  06:59pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: SnapperSean1999   In reference to Message Id: 2315392

Females do fine together and also with one male. At maturity two males will kill each during breeding season if there is a female in the tank. My nephew learned that the hard way with his softshells. His cooler destroyed both malegs softshells but didn’t touch the female. It’s a chance game. Younger turtles are usually fine but once mature, it’s on.

10/27/15  05:36am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2315397

Cooter not cooler.

10/27/15  05:38am

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area