Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rosebud37   Iden   Rosebud37   Iden  

Member  Message

Rosebud37
View Profile

Yellow Bellied Sliders Questions And Advice.

Hello! I rescued two yellow bellied sliders nearly a year ago now. I’m still not sure how to tell whether they are female or not. I once heard in my agriscience class that you can tell by the flatness of their belly, but upon looking up additional information have found a bunch of different information. Also, when I first got them they only ate about 6 pellets of food. Now though, it doesnt matter how much pellets, shrimp, and lettuce i give them a day. They are ALWAYS hungry! The bigger one of the two, whom i named Lily, is always bullying Milo, also. Does anybody know the reason for such hostile behavior? I used to think she only did it when she wanted to be fed, and that maybe she was just trying to eat her brother instead. whenever i fed them she would stop, but now she is continually hostile and once hissed at me! Other than that they are both great little creatures and I respect them. Thanks everybody for reading this!

05/05/15  06:04pm

Iden
View Profile

Message To: Rosebud37   In reference to Message Id: 2313503

Haha, my wood turtle used to hiss at me, sometimes they get territorial and have to be separated, especially with dimorphism (males and females are different sizes, males are almost always smaller) in bad cases they will bully the other out of food and bite the smaller which can injure or kill, just be cautious, and separate if necessary

05/08/15  01:15am

Rosebud37
View Profile

Message To: Iden   In reference to Message Id: 2313531

Thanks for the extra information. It does seem like the bigger one is always bullying Milo.. If i were to have to separate them, would it be temporary or permanently? If temporary, then how long would be enough to teach Lila a lesson, or something?

05/10/15  02:51pm

Iden
View Profile

Message To: Rosebud37   In reference to Message Id: 2313561

Haha, unfortunately it’s not like separating children, turtles arent really social creatures like you’d think, as long as you get them as babies they can usually stay together, but when hormones and stuff kick in it changes things sometimes, I haven’t had to separate my turtles before, so I don’t have a ton of experience with it, but my friend breeds and he said basically that if you have a male and female either raise them together or separate if you try and stick two adults together without enough room to hide/ swim away they can get hostile and most people end up turning one over to a local rescue or friend because two tanks can be a ton of work

06/05/15  12:16am

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area