Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ais   JEFF QUARLES   Ais   Iden  

Member  Message

Ais
View Profile

Out of tank feeding

I have a lively 6 year old Reeves turtle that I bought from a previous owner. I have him 8 months and he’s had some issues in relation to diet, basking and excessive shedding which are being dealt with. He loves basking now but it depends on how much he’s being handled.

The question I have is in relation to out of tank feeding. His previous owner always fed him in the tank. I really don’t like doing that as it really mucks up the water - in order to get any greens into him I make up gelatin and pureed greens mixed with a good bit of protein cubes. It’s a super food it you like. It creates a huge build up of gunk no matter how much I clean the tank. I have an eheim ecco pro 300 cannister filter in a 33 gallon tank. He is a small turtle - his shell length is 3 and 3 quarter inches long. I’m trying to feed him in a separate container of water but he absolutely freaks out and won’t eat a thing. I put luke warm water in the container - a little warmer than his tank water which is 24 degrees Celsius.

I’ve tried the tough love approach for a few days now where if he doesn’t eat in the container he won’t get food in the tank. Its not working.

My question is is there any special technique I can try to try and get him used to feeding in a separate container or is it futile at this stage to even attempt it? Any bit of advise or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

04/20/15  10:00am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Ais   In reference to Message Id: 2313276

Out of tank feeding

Not that big a deal. Put him in the container an hour or two before feeding him. He or she has to feel safe at first. Even put a rock in with it. Put the rock close to a corner. Once it feels safe it wil eat. Do it the same every time and it will become se ind nature.

04/26/15  03:24pm

Ais
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2313361

Out of tank feeding

Will try that thanks. Not sure how big of a tank I can get, at the moment it is a small biscuit container or a small tank.

04/28/15  12:42pm

Iden
View Profile

Message To: Ais   In reference to Message Id: 2313377

Out of tank feeding

You can look up on craigslist for another tank for feeding purposes, you can catch a free one on there a lot, I usually feed in the tank, I went all natural, so a complete ecosystem helps with waste (plants, shrimp, snails, fish) and they make stuff usually called sludge reducer or sludge destroyer that breaks up the muck

05/08/15  01:20am

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area