Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MischiefManaged   Iden   FloridaHerps01   MischiefManaged  

Member  Message

MischiefManaged
View Profile

Red Eared Slider

My male RES, Robbie, is 10 years old and has lived outside in our pond for about 9 years now. We live in San Diego so my lil guy gets lots of natural sunshine and has provided shade as well. He is beeeeautiful!! Lovely dark green color, great markings, healthy lil bugger! My question is this: we are moving and unfortunately have to move to an apartment. I do NOT want to give him up and and am wondering if he’s gunna be OK living inside in a tank? His pond now is a kiddy pool bout 1 foot deep and 3 feet across. If everyone thinks he will be cool living indoors and with artificial sunlight, how large a tank should I get? Second, please please please give me your opinions if you feel he would be better off at a sanctuary. I don’t want to give him up, I have loved having him as a pet, but want to do what is best for him. Thanx everyone!!

12/07/14  12:40pm

Iden
View Profile

Message To: MischiefManaged   In reference to Message Id: 2311205

Red Eared Slider

They are completely fine indoors, most turtles wil be timid for a while when you change the environment, my maps wouldn’t even say hi for a while when I gave them a bigger tank :) but depending on the size of the tank just follow the basic rules, water changes with non chlorinated water, filter rated for twice the water you use, resting spot, basking spot, he should be fine, all my turtles are aquarium and they are happy :)

12/07/14  02:41pm

FloridaHerps01
View Profile

Message To: MischiefManaged   In reference to Message Id: 2311205

Red Eared Slider

If he is a male I would say an aquarium somewhere between 55-100 gallons. Similar to a larger in-door saltwater aquarium. However, more wide than tall as all reptile cages should be. 10.0 UVB and a basking spot at 90 Fahrenheit and he should be fine. Aquarium pumps are more troublesome to clean than planted out-door ponds, but if he was in a little pool I’m guessing you use/used such a pump, so should be accustomed to cleaning and replacing parts by now. If not - the pump is the only annoying part.

12/07/14  08:37pm

MischiefManaged
View Profile

Message To: Iden   In reference to Message Id: 2311211

Red Eared Slider

Thank you!! I don’t want to have to give him away so I’m glad he should be OK indoors!!

12/08/14  07:05am

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area