Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Equinealot   MischiefManaged   Iden  

Member  Message

Equinealot
View Profile

New Yellowbelly Turtles

I rescued 3 yellowbelly turtles from a neighbor that got them at an auction & had no clue how to take care of them. They are tiny, about the size of a nickel. Right now they are outside in a covered 10 gal tank that is 3/4 full of water. They get full sun from the east side of their tank. So their rock also shades them some. I have a smooth sided block that is like a tunnel for them & has a 7 x 7 flat spot for basking. I have a basking light shined at the rock. Temp there is about 90. There is an underwater thermometer keeping the water temp at 76. I don’t have a filter but change the water every other day. I have been feeding them regular turtle pellets & dried shrimp. I see I need to get them some more different kinds of protein. They are very afraid of me right now. What else do I need to do for them?

12/04/14  08:22pm

MischiefManaged
View Profile

Message To: Equinealot   In reference to Message Id: 2311145

New Yellowbelly Turtles

Hello :) I have had my RES for 10 years now and everything you are doing seems pretty darn spot on! I feed mine some feeder fish (not goldfish, I hear they are too fatty for the turtles) and I also give him some live crickets, too. He loves the floating turtle pellets the best tho. Your lil guys are TINY tho and probably can’t eat crickets or feeder fish yet. I got mine when he was the size of a quarter. As for them being afraid, just give em some time, they will get used to you. When my lil guy sees me or hears me coming outside he gets excited (probably cuz he knows I have food, lol) Good luck with your turtles!

12/07/14  12:48pm

Iden
View Profile

Message To: Equinealot   In reference to Message Id: 2311145

New Yellowbelly Turtles

Yup, seems fine, if it gets too hot or cold take them inside, but I am a big believer in natural is better for the animals, so I give mine natural sunlight over a bulb, they are pretty easy to take care of
1- sunlight or a uva/uvb/heat bulb (around 30 to 50 bucks, last about a year)
2- change water at least 50% every 2 weeks (use filtered or just buy a few gallons from the store)
3- wash hands after handling, they can carry things like salmonella
4- resting spot, basking spot (make sure they are able to be completely dry if they want to be, it is good for their shell)
5- enjoy them! They are hilarious! Never thought they would be good pets when I got my terrapins, and now I have them, wood turtles, snappers, northern maps, hermit crabs, and looking at getting a tortoise
If you have any issues feel free to email me for a quick response Andrew.

12/07/14  02:36pm

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area