Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Suzan   Wyland2222   Pondscum   Iden  

Member  Message

Suzan
View Profile

Help for Painted Turtle

Hi. First time on this site. We have a painted turtle that my son brought home from a pond approx. 7 or 8 years ago. We keep him outside all summer and inside my son’s room fall/winter. We have never used a heat/light source for him nor fed it anything other then pellets though he has tossed a few fishing minnows in and once bought some aquatic plants which the turtle devoured.

Our set up is small for his size but has worked nicely for us. The turtle has always appeared to be in good health though maybe small for it’s age due to set-up. This fall when we moved him in we noticed he was eating less (could be cooler weather) and that he spent more time on the land side of the set up than normal. The tank was leaking so we recaulked it and I fear that may be part of the problem. I have changed the water frequently since moving him in but noticed today that he appears to have some type of fuzzy/slighlty slimy substance around his front and back legs. It appears to be whitish/greyish. I was wondering if we could bathe him in a solution of water and vinegar or water and betadyne to see if that helps.

I appreciate all your suggestions and help but please know that at this point a vet is out of the question and we can only make minor changes to the environment.

He appears to be interested in the food but only takes a couple of bites whereas he used to gobble the pellets as fast as we could put them in the water.

Thank you for your suggestions.

11/08/13  07:13am

Wyland2222
View Profile

Message To: Suzan   In reference to Message Id: 2302180

Help for Painted Turtle

I don’t know much about painted turtles but I had a baby box turtle and I know he had to have calcium suppliment and either a uvb light or real sun light every day. And as he grew I put him in a larger tank. Maybe yours is not happy in the smaller one, maybe try a larger tank for him?
Trish

02/08/14  02:21am

Pondscum
View Profile

Help for Painted Turtle

hi I have a western painted turtle in a small pond outside he was doing great, got him a month ago . until today he is slow moving and keeps his eyes closed a lot . the weather has been 100’s for the last 5 days and I don’t know whats wrong with him I put a calcium block in this morning. any suggestion on what to do, or whats wrong

07/16/14  04:48pm

Iden
View Profile

Help for Painted Turtle

To get rid of turtle fungus add 1/4 cup of AQUARIUM salt per 5 gallons of water, it will usually kill the fungus, if its really bad, buy a turtle anti-fungul from your local pet store (not all pet stores carry it call first)

08/20/14  10:17pm

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area