Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

EM-JAY   X-Dragon-x   Poptart19   PaigeyPoo18   SapphireDragon  

Member  Message

EM-JAY
View Profile

Are red eared sliders loners?

my roomate is thinking of getting a red eared slider,so we’re doing a bunch of reasearch before she takes the plunge.
one thing we’re wondering is,are red eared sliders loners? or would they prefer a friend?
i do kno that wen males and females are together,and hit sexual maturity, they try to mate,and if the female doesnt want to,they will fight. so we were thinking 2 males,or 2 females.
the other question is,i kno we need a min 125 gallon tank for an adult female-so would we need to have a double sized tank?

oh,and while im here,are there any types of turtles who stay really small,like the size of baby red eared sliders? or do they all get to a good size?

thanx bunches!!

08/25/12  03:02pm

X-Dragon-x
View Profile

Message To: EM-JAY   In reference to Message Id: 2277837

Yes, it is usually better to keep only one turtle, especially if it’s a boy. Two males will not get along, they are too aggressive.
The only kind of turtle I can think of right now that stays small is a musk turtle. Their adult size is 4-5 inches in carapace length. That’s not as small as a baby RES, but it’s much smaller than an adult Red eared slider at 12 inches.

08/26/12  05:23pm

Poptart19
View Profile

I dont know if you have already gotten the turtle at this point, but spotted turtles tend to stay pretty small

10/21/12  11:12am

PaigeyPoo18
View Profile

Message To: Poptart19   In reference to Message Id: 2283433

My red eared lives with another red eared and a Mississippi, and they all get along great!

04/15/13  11:05am

SapphireDragon
View Profile

They are not loners. When I see them in a pond I go to, they are together most of the time. I’ve had 5 together at once and they got along perfectly.

05/25/13  09:39pm

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area