Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Clynn   Clynn   Yingbongsmom   Jacki3   Clynn   Ceribaby17   Futurevet12   Fordman   Scalesrock   Longjohn   Fordman   Xyz   Jaydsr2887  

Member  Message

Clynn
View Profile

I need to know what kind of baby turtles this is!

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and would like to know if anyone could help me identify what type of baby turtle I have. I live in central pennsylvania. My mother was working for a company that is unfortunately destroying natural habitat (although she hates it times are tough and she has to do what she has to do) While working she happened upon some baby turtles 3 of which were deceased and the one that was alive she brought home to me. Now jack is a proud member of our family in which my four year old has fallen in love with! All that aside. The turtle is very active and friendly. I tried to get some pictures but they are not very good and i am having problems trying to upload them. so here is his description! He is the size of a quarter a brown/rust colored shell, smooth on the edges there are tiny orange marks that are not very visable unless your looking hard but when you turn him over the orange is very defined almost a red but it is only on the edge of his shell. His belly is a yellow color. the legs have orange stripes/markings again not very visable. He has two bright yellow dots on each side of his head behind his eyes. under his neck it looks to have some yellow stipes. I have had him for two days he is in a variation of a tank until i know exactly what he needs. when i say a variation my husband took a big aquarium and put a divider in it. One side is moist dirt and the other is water with a large basking area in between he spends his time evenly throught the aqarium and swims very well. we have a heat lamp and for food we have given him some crickets in which he ate one and he has also eaten some lettuce and likes the strawberries. I hope this information has been enough to get a general idea or maybe someone could point me in the right direction, so i know what i need to get specifically for Jack. My mom and i do not normally take anything from its natural habitat unless it is injured ( ie ten baby possums , not the cutest lol, birds, a racoon and a fox that still comes around, always returned to the wild after rehabilited) but i do think jack will be an official part of our family as long as i kno that i am equipt to take care of him. please someone help me so i can help him! I just wish the others had survived. I hate big companies! Thank you so muc to everyone!

05/04/10  11:26pm

Clynn
View Profile

Message To: Clynn   In reference to Message Id: 2145415

I was finally able to upload my pictures sorry they are not the best but i hope they help! I hope i am posting them correctly. Thank you all again!

05/04/10  11:43pm

Yingbongsmom
View Profile

Message To: Clynn   In reference to Message Id: 2145418

He could be a baby bog turtle, but I can’t tell how much orange he has on his ears. You may look up bog turtles and see if you can compare.

05/05/10  10:29am

Jacki3
View Profile

The baby you have is a baby Easter Painted turtle, I have three of them including two red eared sliders. Your better off feeding him a meaty diet because baby turtles usually are omnivores. I feed my babies turtle food like reptimin. It has these little pellets , dried shrimp. Also I feed them meal worm, wax worm for some protien. But as soon as they get older I offer veggies. Its okay to feed veggies but they need a mixed diet.

There are different websites to go to for some helpful tools on raising the baby. I would also suggest to set him free as soon as he grows a bit and a habitat is availible. :)

05/06/10  04:53pm

Clynn
View Profile

Message To: Jacki3   In reference to Message Id: 2145782

Thank you to everyone! I actually took it too the high school biology techer and he told me it was an eastern Painted turtle with heavy rust deposits on his shell! I was worried when we thought it was a baby bog turtle as they are on the endangered species list and i would not want to be in trouble for housing this beautiful turtle! We are planning on setting him/her free and getting a captive bred turtle either a box or a red eared slider! My son who is ADD/ADHD has an amazing attatchment to "Jack" I have never seen him sit and focus for such a long amount of time in his life! Again thank you guys for helping me out!

05/06/10  11:26pm

Ceribaby17
View Profile

Message To: Clynn   In reference to Message Id: 2145858

Hey i have a brother that is ADD/ADHD and i have 8 cats and 6 kittens and a turtle and a alligator lizard and 2 goldfish and he is really focused on almost everything but him seems to like the alligator lizards the most though. So good luck on your hunt for a red ear slider or a box turtle. Bye

05/07/10  11:13am

Futurevet12
View Profile

Eastern painted turtle.

06/26/10  10:49am

Fordman
View Profile

painted turtle

05/30/11  02:28am

Scalesrock
View Profile

Message To: Fordman   In reference to Message Id: 2221664

I recommend the box turtle over the red eared slider cause they are easier to take care of, they aren’t as messy and they eat mostly fruits, veggies, meal worms and occasional canned cat or dog food and cooked ground turkey. They also tolerate handling better.

05/30/11  01:38pm

Longjohn
View Profile

Message To: Scalesrock   In reference to Message Id: 2221753

It might be a painted turtle.

06/11/11  07:10pm

Fordman
View Profile

It is an eastern painted turtle. I have one just like it.

06/13/11  01:34am

Xyz
View Profile

Message To: Fordman   In reference to Message Id: 2224468

Yep! It’s an eastern painted turtle. I have two of them in my 60 gallon tank.

10/02/11  08:19am

Jaydsr2887
View Profile

its a painted turtle....... I had a few and I fed them wild caught shinners and baby frogs and tadpoles along with a little commercial turtle diet

12/11/13  06:52pm

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area