Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Turtles Forum

Ambassadorhawg   Mike_Ornata   Ambassadorhawg   Leoman911   Mike_Ornata   Warlock  
 Member  Message

Ambassadorhawg
View Profile

Restless Box Turtle

Help! I’ve got an Eastern Box which I’ve had for at least 3 years. The past week, he has been on the move, pacing back and forth, restless! He has trampled down all of the moss he usually sleeps under. He generally wakes up to eat but lately he’s up all day long, on the move. Eats normally, drinks normally. What’s up with this guy???

12/07/09  09:51pm

Mike_Ornata
View Profile

Message To: Ambassadorhawg   In reference to Message Id: 2102447

Restless Box Turtle

Are you sure its not a gravid female? Sounds like nesting behaviour to me.

12/08/09  06:27am

Ambassadorhawg
View Profile

Message To: Mike_Ornata   In reference to Message Id: 2102525

Restless Box Turtle

It’s been in my posession for about three years w/o contact to other turtles. Plus, it’s freezing cold around my area lately. I do not cool him off, I keep him warm and awake all year long.

12/08/09  10:13pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: Ambassadorhawg   In reference to Message Id: 2102834

Restless Box Turtle

If it is a female it can hold its eggs for a long time yrs.

12/09/09  08:05pm

Mike_Ornata
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2103134

Restless Box Turtle

Technically it doesnt "hold" the eggs. Females have the ability to lay fertile eggs up to six years after one successful mating.

12/10/09  06:34am

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Mike_Ornata   In reference to Message Id: 2103276

Restless Box Turtle

from what you said about it getting cold I would say the trouble is Hibernation. eastern box turtles hibernate by nature. weather you keep them warm and allow them to do so or not there body will still try to hibernate. However not allowing your turtle to do so could cause very big long term problems and even shorten the turtles lifespan by several decades. Generally I dont hibernate my hatchlings. I give them a good start and keep them away and active there first winter but when they start getting restless and going off feed the following winter i set them up to hibernate, they are much healthier and happy this way. so weather that is the case or not you should start doing so. if its a gravid female then I would say shes nesting. you need to give her an area to lay her eggs or she could get eggbound which can be fatal. If she was an adult when you got her or if you caught her from the wild as an adult she could have been with a male. A female ebt can store sperm for up to 5 year. so its very possible you have gravid female on your hands. Concave plastron, long tail, you have a male. short stubby tail and flat pastron you have a female. in case you didnt know

04/03/10  10:57am

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area