Turtles-Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles-Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bungie   Kikister11   Ozzieparker  

Member  Message

Bungie
View Profile

Need a rescue or safe place for box turtle

I live in Fort Worth, Texas. Found a box turtle in the back yard. Rather small, about 4" long, seems to be healthy. I will not sell or give him to anyone as a pet. I would put him in the wild, but I do not know where he would be safe. Can anyone help?

05/03/11  06:20pm

Kikister11
View Profile

Message To: Bungie   In reference to Message Id: 2217171

Check the species. It is important to investigate the type of turtle that you own prior to releasing it. According to the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, it is illegal in Connecticut to release pet turtles into the wild because many pet turtles are non-native species, which then compete with native turtles for food and habitat. Many states have similar ordinances, so it is important to investigate state laws regarding turtle release, in addition to ensuring that your turtle is native to the area where it is being let go.Release the turtle close to its original home. If the turtle was found in the wild, return it as close as possible to the space that it was originally found. This is important because turtles have very specific habitat needs. For example, the wood turtle, found in Michigan, needs a habitat that includes wooded stream areas. The turtle can be easily transported to its new home in a cardboard box, but make sure to release it during a time of year when the turtle will be able to survive.

04/27/12  06:31pm

Ozzieparker
View Profile

Message To: Bungie   In reference to Message Id: 2217171

Did you find him a safe place?

09/30/12  12:50am

Back to Turtles-Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area