Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Myekel24   Crotus   Myekel24   Crotus  

Member  Message

Myekel24
View Profile

Cuban tree frog or not

Hi.. I just recently opened up a garden center and in a shipment of plants from Florida I found a little tree frog . I’ve done my research and so far I’m convinced it’s a Cuban tree frog .. I was just wondering if anyone could verify that for me.. I’ll attach some pics below.

.. Anything helps! Thanks

11/28/15  04:49pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Myekel24   In reference to Message Id: 2315938

Cuban tree frog or not

Hello, I live in the Miami area and am very familiar with Cuban treefrogs, they are everywhere here. Yes, that definitely looks like a young Cuban treefrog. They grow to a large size with some adult females reaching 5" SVL. Young specimens can be chaklenging to identify, but the large bulbous eyes, flattened head and random patterning on the back are typical for Cuban treefrogs.

11/29/15  09:33am

Myekel24
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2315940

Cuban tree frog or not

Thanks for the conformation .. It also changes color .. Most of the time it is a cloudy white color and it has the blue leg bones and a warty like back which I read was a good indication of a Cuban tree frog.. The only thing I was concerned about was that it’s skin on its head is not fused to the head .. Could happen when it gets older.. I do not want to let him go since they are invasive so I think I’ll put him in with my whites tree frog when it gets bigger

11/29/15  09:58am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Myekel24   In reference to Message Id: 2315941

Cuban tree frog or not

Yes, the warty skin is another characteristic of Cuban treefrogs. I agree that it would be best not to release it, but think it might be best to keep it in a separate tank even when it grows larger, because it has toxic skin secretions that could be bad for other species. Please check out this article I found about mixing amphibian species:
http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/articles/communitytank.html

11/29/15  10:16am

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area