Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sublimelife13   Bugflip   Sublimelife13   Crotus   411er1   Crotus  

Member  Message

Sublimelife13
View Profile

Help! My Whites is sick

I have had my wonderful whites tree frog Tobias for over a year. About a week and a half ago he turned dark brown all of a sudden and stopped eating. He is in a 20 gallon tank with coconut substrate, 70/75 degrees temp and 50% humidity. I de chlorinate his water and mist him daily. He is also fed gut loaded crickets and mealworms. He has lost weight and doesn’t move around his cage anymore just burrows in the ground. I have searched and called vets within 50 miles and no one works on frogs :( I am so afraid because I know he is dying. Over the past few days he now has green spots(his normal color) and the rest is still dark brown. He still hasn’t eaten. He sheds all the time which leads me to believe he has a bacterial or fungal infection. One of his eyes is also now cloudy. I bought Melafix and use a dropper to give him the water/Melafix solution once a day. He also opens his mouth a lot as if gasping for air. I don’t know what else to do and every time I go to check on him I worry he will no longer be with us. Any help would be greatly appreciated

08/22/15  07:45am

Bugflip
View Profile

Message To: Sublimelife13   In reference to Message Id: 2314660

Help! My Whites is sick

he goan die

08/29/15  03:25pm

Sublimelife13
View Profile

Message To: Bugflip   In reference to Message Id: 2314742

Help! My Whites is sick

He passed away this Saturday. It would be nice if you could show a little more compassion in your responses next time

09/08/15  10:29am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Sublimelife13   In reference to Message Id: 2314845

Help! My Whites is sick

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience. I know from personal experience that amphibians can be delicate creatures and that it is much more difficult to cure their illnesses than to prevent them. Sometimes problems can develop if the substrate becomes too stale and is overrun by harmful bacteria, so you may want to occasionally clean out the tank and replace the substrate. But, perhaps even better, if you have a well planted tank, the plant roots can help keep the substrate fresh by absorbing excess nitrates and similar substances in the soil and using them as fertilizer. You need to keep in mind however, that plants need good lighting to grow. So therefore I suggest that you try to create a naturalistic, well planted terrarium and invest in a good quality full spectrum fluorescent or LED lighting fixture placed above the tank cover. (Of course this should be turned off at night.) Additionally it may be a good idea to try to find a vet somewhere who can treat amphibians, just in case you should experience this type of problem again. So please try not to be discouraged and try some of my suggestions if you decide to give it another try.

09/08/15  10:02pm

411er1
View Profile

Message To: Sublimelife13   In reference to Message Id: 2314660

Help! My Whites is sick

Meal worms can cause impaction and have sharp teeth that can hurt your frog interlally

09/12/15  12:56am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: 411er1   In reference to Message Id: 2314877

Help! My Whites is sick

That,’s another possibility -- I think they should not be used as food for amphibians for that reason.

09/13/15  01:05pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area