Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sydneyj2995   Crotus   Sydneyj2995   Crotus  

Member  Message

Sydneyj2995
View Profile

Please Help!

A few weeks ago I adopted a one eyed green tree frog from work. When he was shipped to the pet store I work at he was already missing the eye. It was completely healed though. When I first took him home he was doing really well and eating 3-5 crickets a day. I hand feed him with tweezers every morning usually between 9 and 11 am. The past week though I’ve been working the late night shift at my other job and getting home around 5 am so it’s usually around noon (sometimes later) when he gets fed. The past few days he’s only eaten about 1 or 2 crickets when I tried to feed him though and this morning I couldn’t get him to eat at all. The only thing I’ve done differently with him this week is his feeding schedule and the time I turn his heat lamp on (I turn it on right before I feed him to get him to associate it with food, and I turn it off around 8 or 9 pm). Is it possible that this is what’s causing him to not eat all of the sudden? Or maybe he’s shedding (do they still eat when they’re shedding)? Thanks!

08/12/14  11:41pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Sydneyj2995   In reference to Message Id: 2308490

Please Help!

Most amphibians prefer temperatures on the cooler side and so do not need heat lamps - they may however, benefit from some UV-B light provided by a fluorescent type lamp. So I suggest that you stop using the heat lamp and get a fluorescent lamp (preferably one designed for herps) and use it to light up your treefrog’s tank during the day (turn it off at night, or put it on a timer if possible). Also it’s important for frogs to have a shallow bowl of clean water to soak in, and vegetation to climb, do you have that?
Please try these suggestions and let me know if there is any improvement.

08/13/14  12:17pm

Sydneyj2995
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2308497

Please Help!

I have all of that. His tank also stays around 74° during the day and somewhere around 70° at night. I took him to the vet and he has 2 types of worms and a fungal infection. He’s now on a liquid diet to help him gain the weight he lost back and he’s got a dewormer, some baytril, and some drops for his skin. His green coloring is already starting to come back, and later today I plan to completely clean his tank.

08/16/14  10:19am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Sydneyj2995   In reference to Message Id: 2308584

Please Help!

Awesome -- happy to hear! I still recommend, however, that you use some fluorescent lighting during the day and not a heat lamp.

08/24/14  02:52pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area