Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KarlasTreefrogs   KarlasTreefrogs   LaraAngelique   ChrisandMartin  

Member  Message

KarlasTreefrogs
View Profile

Tree Frog with deformed hips and legs

Hi, I raised thousands of tree frogs this year. The adults left their eggs in my pool and I pull them out and raise them in a separate "pond" just in case the landlord wants to put "shock" in the pool. I feel it’s my duty to save all those little lives. This year has been incredible because the landlord didn’t put in shock until June 18th, so the tree frogs have begun to think of the pool as THEIR cement pond! One night there were 52 adult Alabama tree frogs looking for love out there! Lots and lots of eggs.... probably hundreds of thousands... too many to count since the beginning of the season. So, anyway, I have a baby tree frog that seems to have deformed hips and legs. First one that I’ve had this year. He’s (or she’s) in bad shape but can eat and move with his front arms. I’m wishing they made "carts" like they do for dogs, but for tree frogs! Silly, I know. Anyway, I’m hoping someone else out there has had pity on a baby tree frog and has gone through this. I’m at a loss because his legs are so bad twisted... I just don’t know what his habitat should be... He falls over and flips himself back again and he climbs the aquarium walls, but I can’t let him go or he will die. I fed him a very small meal worm and he was so happy and fat, but now, today he won’t eat. I’m a bit worried that maybe he wasn’t ready for a mealworm. I did get a bunch of small insects from the tall grass and put them in but I don’t know if he ate any of those. I don’t think he’d be very good at catching flying insects. But maybe he is. I can’t spend the entire day watching him. The other pond full of tadpoles needs attention too and so do the cats and dog. I don’t know how this sweet tree frog got this way, it’s horrible looking. Almost looks like he had his hips but on backwards and then they got broken and his legs seem twisted and backwards... horrible... Anyway, I was hoping someone knows how to keep him happy. What kind of floor should I use? He gets sticky when he doesn’t move for a while and he’ll stick to a leaf or stone or anything. I mist him often so he doesn’t stick to anything for long... He acts like he knows I’m trying to help him. He doesn’t try to hide or run from me. He’ll try to take an insect out of my tweezers but he likes to watch them crawl but he can’t keep up or doesn’t want to. I’m not sure. I don’t know what to do for him. Everyone I know says I should kill him. I can’t do that. He would be so much better off without legs instead of twisted ones that get him hung up on things. The poor thing, my heart aches for him. Silly, I know, he’s only about an inch long- maybe shorter! I was thinking the flat bottom of the aquarium would be fine, but I think he’d stick to it and get stuck enough to dry out and die. Can’t have that. An suggestions on how to make his life more comfortable? I’m waiting for some cricket eggs to hatch to put them in his aquarium, it will probably be a few more days though...
Maybe I should just let him go free and see if he can survive? Seems cruel to me. Ack! I’m so torn about what to do for this sweet innocent critter. Please. Anyone’s advice would be truly appreciated!

06/25/14  12:42pm

KarlasTreefrogs
View Profile

Message To: KarlasTreefrogs   In reference to Message Id: 2306111

It’s now July 26th and my baby tree frog is still alive and he seems happy. He eats so much! He is getting bigger and his hips are not changing at all, they still look backwards and his legs are bent "funny." I should take a photo. I try to exercise his little arms by making him crawl around on my hands. He seems to like being out and about. He’s getting a personality! He eats baby mealworms and baby crickets and laughs at me when I try to give him a caterpillar that he doesn’t think is tasty or good looking enough. Then he’ll eat a bunch more mealworms! Feisty little kiddo! Anyway, I was just writing to let people know he’s still alive and happy. He seems pretty content. He uses his belly as his back legs and has even learned to hop a bit... but not a big hop, just a tiny one. He hates when I fuss over his legs too... not sure if they hurt or he’s just wanting me to let him alone and feed him more! I named him Nate, not sure why. It just came into my head when I was talking to him. He’s learned to climb up the side of his aquarium but only when it’s wet or his belly sticks fast to the side. He likes to lay on leaves and somehow he manages to cover himself up with his back foot even though it’s deformed he manages to move a leaf over himself... it’s pretty nifty that he is learning to use his legs in their deformed shape. Oh well, I guess it’s time to get down there and take him out and let him eat and exercise. Here is something funny... he loves to pooh on me! Yup, when I have him out he makes sure I’m there to clean him up and take the pooh away so he doesn’t get any on his deformed legs... I’m think he is just using me! Just joking! I’ve never seen a frog go to he bathroom before and it’s hilarious for him... I don’t know if anyone else has been there for it or not, but my guy makes a production over #2... maybe it hurts his hips... I guess it could. Ok, time to walk the froggie!

07/26/14  11:02am

LaraAngelique
View Profile

Message To: KarlasTreefrogs   In reference to Message Id: 2306111

I know this is an old post but hoping you will see it, I would love to know how your little guy went or is going! I recently morphed some green tree frogs and one of them has dephormed back legs! Trying to decide weather he should be in his own little tank for his safety or if he will be okay in a bigger tank with all the others :(

12/18/15  05:55am

ChrisandMartin
View Profile

Message To: KarlasTreefrogs   In reference to Message Id: 2307960

I am very wondering too if you can do an update :)

01/22/16  10:22pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area