Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Makail100   Makail100   Crotus   Crotus   Makail100   Crotus  

Member  Message

Makail100
View Profile

Springtails or no?

Hello, I have a terrarium with live plants and pete moss. In the inclosure is 4 dumpy tree frogs, just recently many different organisms have started showing up. There are snails, which idk if are helpful or harmful to the frogs and they are long skinny worms that crawl of the side of the glass and another which i hope are springtails. They are small but long and they are grayish, and are all over my frogs poop. They also crawl on my frogs which makes me very very uncomfortable. Are they harmful or no? And the worms are they parasitic? Or harmful is anyway?

03/05/13  05:42am

Makail100
View Profile

Message To: Makail100   In reference to Message Id: 2293167

Springtails or no?

Photo of worm

03/05/13  06:17am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Makail100   In reference to Message Id: 2293168

Springtails or no?

it looks like something parasitic such as roundworms... I recommend replacing the substrate with a sterile mixture consisting of equal parts potting or topsoil which is free of added fertilizer (or Eco-Earth), peat moss and all purpose silica sand, kept barely moist but not too wet, and underlain with an inch or two of coarse medium gravel for good drainage. If the problem does not clear up on its own, please take your frogs to a herp vet ASAP, there are certain medications that are good for this but dangerous to use except under a vet’s supervision.

03/05/13  04:59pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2293212

Springtails or no?

It looks like something parasitic such as roundworms... I recommend replacing the substrate with a sterile mixture consisting of equal parts potting or topsoil which is free of added fertilizer (or use Eco-Earth or similar product), peat moss and all purpose silica sand, kept barely moist but not too wet, and underlain with an inch or two of coarse medium gravel for good drainage. If the problem does not clear up on its own, please take your frogs to a herp vet ASAP, there are certain medications that are good for this but dangerous to use except under a vet’s supervision.

03/05/13  05:00pm

Makail100
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2293214

Springtails or no?

Thank you, but around here where I live in Parkerburg West Virginia there arent any Herp Vets anywhere and the regualr vets dont do snakes frogs, or anything exotic, and this is a problem to because my ball python has a RI

03/05/13  06:08pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Makail100   In reference to Message Id: 2293216

Springtails or no?

Please refer to this article:
http://www.pollywogsworldoffrogs.com/Text-html/frog-rx-parasites.html
I believe the parasites infesting your frogs are the rhabdia worms mentioned here, or something similar, which according to this article, can be safely treated with a weak solution of ivermectin (which is also used for dogs so you can probably obtain it from a regular vet or even a petstore)... speaking of that, see if you can obtain this type of product from a petstore that sells herps... The frogs, since their skin is permeable like a fish, can absorb the solution through the skin merely by soaking them in it... but use extreme caution and make it a very weak solution (just a couple of drops per gallon or as directed in the article) to prevent poisoning the frogs.

I suggest after changing the substrate, waiting a couple of days to see if the problem clears up by itself. If not please give this a try and let me know what happens -- good luck.

03/06/13  01:55pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area