Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Marylou52   Crotus   Marylou52   Marylou52   Crotus   Marylou52   Crotus   Marylou52   Marylou52   Crotus  

Member  Message

Marylou52
View Profile

Help injured frog

I sent msg earlier but think I sent it wrong. I have a great problem with a green tree frog that was spending its days in my patio deck box. When I opened the box this eve the box had been closed on him. I am truly heart sick. He is being very still now but earlier when he would move he would drag his back legs. He now can pull one of them under him. I went to Meijer and bought an aquarium and some food (which he won’t eat). I wet a paper towel in spring water and put some in a bowl. Also put in a fern leaf. Anyone have any idea what I can do for the little fellow? I’m not even sure if what I’m doing is good or bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mary

06/18/12  12:50am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Marylou52   In reference to Message Id: 2270378

Help injured frog

Can you post a picture? It may help to show what type of illness the frog has... Amphibians can sometimes be quite delicate however, and illnesses are often far more easier to prevent than cure.

06/18/12  07:24pm

Marylou52
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2270449

Help injured frog

Crotus, thanks for the reply. I don’t think the frog is sick but injured. My husband went to the pet store today and bought crickets. Although he still isn’t eating he is looking and acting much better. My husband says we have witnessed a miracle. He is now moving both legs and we were sure the one was done for. The lid to the box had come down on his little back and I was afraid it was broken. I put a wet paper towel (spring water) a bowl of water and a fern in his aquarium. Is there anything else I can do to help him along. I would like to see him back in nature where he belongs. Will try to figure out how to post pic. Thanks again

06/19/12  01:15am

Marylou52
View Profile

Message To: Marylou52   In reference to Message Id: 2270499

Help injured frog

Have to let everyone know that little froggie is doing great. He has eaten several crickets + another insect I caught and put in his tank. I put some spring water in a larger bowl today and he is moving all four legs well. Weather here is very hot today and tomorrow 95 so I think I’ll wait until Thurs ( back to 80’s for a while) and let him go. He is such a sweet little guy, just want him healthy and happy.

06/19/12  03:59pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Marylou52   In reference to Message Id: 2270566

Help injured frog

Awesome to hear! I guess whatever you tried, did the trick! Good work.

06/19/12  06:40pm

Marylou52
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2270576

Help injured frog

Well I have finally decided the injured tree frog I found isn’t a Green but Grey. I know so very little about these little creatures. I brought it in and have had pretty good luck nursing it back to health, but I want to give it the best chance possible before I return it back to nature. It’s tiny little back was crushed flat and she wasn’t using it’s back legs when I first brought her in. It has been so dry here and I’m sure she was dehydrated. Well it seems she wasn’t ready to give in because almost everything seems to be good after about a week. The only thing I am concerned about at this point is her right back foot. The toes look really red to me and kind of seem to want to curl under sometimes. Even looks like maybe she drags? her toes on that foot. I have been keeping moist paper towell in the bottom of the aqurium and I think maybe they look a little better. Is there a chance I am over reacting and she is fine or do I need to be doing something? No vet for 80 to 100 miles to deal with this sort of thing. And like I said I know so very little. How would I go about treating her toes?

06/25/12  01:03am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Marylou52   In reference to Message Id: 2271148

Help injured frog

You might want to try dabbing them very lightly with a very small amount of clear antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) applied with a moistened Q-tip, to help combat any possible infection. But just use a very small amount, on the affected areas only, once a day or so until it improves.

06/25/12  05:36pm

Marylou52
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2271207

Help injured frog

k, thanks so much for the input. I’m sure I have some Neosporin here. Not sure how I’ll get it on her because I’m afraid I’ll hurt her if I pick her up. But I certianly will give it a try. Anything to heal her little foot. Thanks again for the info.

06/26/12  12:30am

Marylou52
View Profile

Message To: Marylou52   In reference to Message Id: 2271249

Help injured frog

Do you know if I can use artificial plants from Kmart or do I need to buy the ones from the pet stores specifically for reptile and amphibians?

06/28/12  02:14pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Marylou52   In reference to Message Id: 2271496

Help injured frog

I recommend using live plants because they look more natural, and also help to absorb waste products from the soil by using them as fertilizer. You can use just common houseplants like philodendrons, pothos etc. which have lots of leaves that treefrogs like to climb on, hide under, etc. Make sure to wash the leaves just in case they might have pesticide residues. Also, the plants will need some full-spectrum lighting (simulated daylight) to grow well, so get one of those fluorescent floor lamps (or a lighting hood made for herps) and set it on a timer (on during the day, off at night). Whatever you use, situate it a little bit higher than the tank top so the top won’t get too hot... The plants (and frogs) will appreciate it.

07/01/12  07:43pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area