Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tnfishlady   Crotus   Tnfishlady   Crotus   Tnfishlady   Crotus   Tnfishlady  

Member  Message

Tnfishlady
View Profile

Whites tree frog dying

I got two young Whites tree frogs about a week ago from a pet store. They are around an inch long (body size) and are currently housed in a 10-gallon aquarium with damp coconut fiber bedding and some fake plants and branches for climbing, plus a water container for soaking. I mist the aquarium morning and night. I change the water daily, with treated tap water. This is/was a temporary setup for them until they got a little bigger.

I have 2 - 3 small (about 3/8" inch) crickets (gut-loaded) a day in their habitat plus some fruit flies. I usually see a cricket running around even the next feeding, and have never seen them eat. I really haven’t seen them do much of anything, I know they move around mostly at night and have seen in the water container. Humidity measures at 80% but I do not know if the gauge is correct (a little humidity gauge that sticks on the cage from the pet store).

Anyway, I think one of the frogs is dying. I saw it with it’s legs spread stretched out back, and in getting it to move, it’s obviously weak. Is there anything I can do to help it? Why is it dying, what am I doing wrong?

04/21/12  01:49pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tnfishlady   In reference to Message Id: 2263670

Whites tree frog dying

WTFs are normally hardy, so I think it may have been sick when you bought it... maybe you should try to return it to the store if they have any kind of guarantee...

What kind of lighting do you have? Although the need for it is debatable with amphibians, some types (like FBTs) do like to bask under a full-spectrum fluorescent light during the day... treefrogs are nocturnal however so it’s less important to them if at all... however some lighting of this type would be beneficial for plant growth.

04/22/12  06:35pm

Tnfishlady
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2263817

Whites tree frog dying

Up to a couple of days ago there was no lighting, just room lighting. There are no live plants in there, just several fake ones. The frog passed away so I did return it to the store and got another one.

I now have a full spectrum light (actually a reptile UVB light) on the habitat, and have it on during the day, but with tree frogs being nocturnal I’m not sure if I should even have it on except when I want to see them or maybe in the evening. I have seen one of the frogs up on top of a branch I have in there closer to the light so maybe it likes it.

04/23/12  11:29am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tnfishlady   In reference to Message Id: 2263907

Whites tree frog dying

Cool -- it won’t do him any harm as long as it doesn’t generate too much heat, so you should put it at least a foot or two above the top of the tank. You then also have the option of growing live plants, which will make the setup more attractive, and perhaps also help the frogs to feel more at home... I recommend philodendrons or pothos, which are vining type plants with lots of leaves for them to climb on, hide under, etc.

04/23/12  05:25pm

Tnfishlady
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2263937

Whites tree frog dying

It looks like the other one I had bought previously is dying, too. It was very weak a little white ago when I fed them crickets, although I saw it eat one this evening. I’m thinking they didn’t eat enough? The pet store said they would likely eat 3 small crickets a day, they were maybe eating one or two a day.

Here’s a picture I took today, a few hours ago. It’s stayed brown for several days.

The "replacement" for the one that died:

Any more thoughts on this?

04/23/12  10:49pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tnfishlady   In reference to Message Id: 2263987

Whites tree frog dying

I’m not too sure what’s causing the problem... maybe both of the original frogs may have been sick when you bought them... Did you get the new one from the same source? It looks very healthy to me, so it would be a good idea to watch it carefully on a daily basis and see what happens with it. Please keep me posted...

04/25/12  05:02pm

Tnfishlady
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2264225

Whites tree frog dying

Yes, they all came from the same source. The little one passed away within hours I think of that photo. I haven’t replaced it yet and I’m not sure I will, although I will at least get my money back if not another frog. The other one seems to be doing ok right now.

04/25/12  09:56pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area