Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tree Frogs Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Je2bro   Je2bro   Der Frogmeister  

Member  Message

Je2bro
View Profile

American green tree frogs so worried please help!!!

I have had 3 American green tree frogs for about a year now. last week shortly after lights out one of them began croaking. I was very excited because this had not happened before and i have been waiting for this to happen. this went one every night shortly after lights out for 3 nights then all of the sudden one morning it started croaking so i went to see if I could tell who it was. one of them was in the water dish. this is very unusual to see them come down in the day time so I checked on him a few times, he moved to the top of the log I thought maybe he was looking for food so i put in a few crickets. he payed them no attention. later he moved to the substrate. i then left for work when i came home he was laying next to the water dish back legs stretched out and had passed. i was very upset to have 1 of my babies pass. now 2 nights later I hear croaking again, I am very concerned I am so afraid that this is could be happening again. the 1 that passed showed no signs of sickness that i could tell and still had good color even after passing. don’t know what to do, should i be concerned? or is it the same frog croaking and the 1 that died is just a fluke?

02/20/12  12:01am

Je2bro
View Profile

Message To: Je2bro   In reference to Message Id: 2256064

ok I found out who is barking I read the post from Der Frogmeister about finding the free range AGTF. I played a calling mp3 and sure enough my little man started barking he seems to be happy and healthy. so thank you to Der Frogmeister for the info!

02/27/12  01:12pm

Der Frogmeister
View Profile

Message To: Je2bro   In reference to Message Id: 2257029

Typically, the males are the only ones that will make a "call" or "bark". In my instance as P-Woody, the male, would sometimes wander out of his comfort zone since he was not in an enclosure, in order to find him I would play the audio and have him return the call so I could find him. The key here is to do this ONLY in an emergency situation. I would not advise anyone to "trick" their frog into calling using this method unless they were out of their enclosure and you could not find them. Simply put, the male frog is going to be intimidated by the call and do what he can to find what he thinks is another male in the area. Therefore, if your frogs are in an enclosure, chances are they are going to do what they can to find the "other" male that does not exist and that could lead to injury. So keep that in mind for the frogs sake and enjoy them for the perfect little creatures that they really are.

03/06/12  01:49am

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area