Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

CandiGurl   Crotus   Jefwithonef005   Crotus  
 Member  Message

CandiGurl
View Profile

Mold in moss substrate

I am using Sphagnum moss as a substrate for my Gray treefrogs. I noticed it is growing mold everywhere. Is there a way to sterilise it? Or should I use a different substrate? This Sphagnum moss is long fibered, and sold dry in a bag. I got it at Home Depot. (Mosser Lee Company moss) I have three Gray tree frogs, and have tempororarily moved them to a seperate tank with wet paper towels as substrate until I clean out the moldy moss. Please help.

05/12/11  12:23am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: CandiGurl   In reference to Message Id: 2218576

Mold in moss substrate

Probably it’s getting too wet because sphagnum moss absorbs moisture like a sponge. I personally use a soil-based substrate consisting of equal parts topsoil, peat moss, and all-purpose silica sand, and pour a couple inches of this over a bottom layer of medium sized pebbles which help with drainage. I keep the soil moist but not too wet, and plant some philodendrons, sansevieria, etc. in the substrate for the treefrogs to climb on (I keep greens and grays). I’ll post a few pictures of them soon, but I can’t at the moment because the photo server is down.

05/12/11  05:09pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2218673

Mold in moss substrate

you probably shouldnt be using moss from home depot (this isnt about the mold) unless it is for reptiles and amphibians. sorry i have problems with mold allot too..

05/14/11  05:15pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2219046

Mold in moss substrate

OK, here are a couple of pictures of some of my treefrogs (green and gray treefrogs).
The gray treefrog became a little too curious about his surroundings while I was cleaning his tank and I had to keep a very careful eye on him so he wouldn’t escape... :)

05/16/11  11:09am

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area