Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Wizzoot   Kyoss   Wizzoot   Kyoss   Wizzoot   Kyoss   Sajane  
 Member  Message

Wizzoot
View Profile

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

Ive had a WTF for two years now. He has lived by himself in a smaller terrarium without any problems. I recently got a new larger terrarium and wanted to add a friend. Ive heard of these Blue Dumpy Tree Frogs. Are these a different species or a color variation of a WTF?

I know that mix matching frogs is a bad idea but can these guys live together? Also since my WTF has been alone for 2 years would introducing a new frog be a bad idea? If I were to get another I would of course take the precautions of quarantine, fecal, vet exam etc before introducing.

Just curious! Thanks for any suggestions!

01/13/11  03:19pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Wizzoot   In reference to Message Id: 2198113

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

They are both basically the same thing except for the color. I believe you could house those together. Something like that I believe is fine.. Kinda like a Green Tree Frog and a Grey Tree Frog, They are basically the same except for there color. I’d say go for it, I don’t see a problem with it. I mean even though the names different, the basic’s of the frogs are the same in all ways but color.

Hope this helps a little. Others may disagree but It’s all comes down to opinion anyways.

Best of luck! Cody.

01/13/11  09:26pm

Wizzoot
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 2198237

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

Ive been doing a little bit more reading about them and now I understand that they are literally the same thing. I guess the blueish color is from a diet/lighting change from what I understand?

Anyways, thanks for the help!! I guess my little froggy is getting a new friend soon!

01/14/11  01:45pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Wizzoot   In reference to Message Id: 2198324

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

Anytime! Best of Luck!
Cody.

01/14/11  03:44pm

Wizzoot
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 2198343

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

I know Im kind of dragging this on but Ive got a different questions now!

Since I upgraded from a 20 gallon tank to a 18x18x24 terrarium Im having to change my.. heating/lighting to meet the taller tank.

As of now (it seems to be working) I have a UVB 26w 2.0 reptiglo light. I was using the 13w for the smaller tank and since the tank is larger I figured I needed to bump up the wattage. 26w was the highest. So as far as UVB do you guys think its ok?

Im also running a 75w black light heat bulb 24/7 (its just getting to cold at night.. I have to offer him a heat source). Seems to keep the temp fairly normal.. maybe a tad on the low side. Day temp is staying about 75F and night about 70F.. humidity is on the lower side and Im misting.. 3-4 times a day. Do you think getting a 100w black light heat bulb would help? Maybe a under the tank heat pad? Im open for ideas to get the tank a little warmer and the humidity a little higher.

Also.. being stupid I didnt even think of this.. do frogs need a UVA light? Isnt that mostly just a "heat lamp"? Should I get a UVA to run in the day with the UVB and switch to the black light heat bulb at night? If so what wattage of UVA should I get?

Thanks!

01/15/11  07:10pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Wizzoot   In reference to Message Id: 2198573

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

1: UVB isn’t required that I’m aware of. But I normal provide them with one just to have it. If I was to get a UVB it would be the tropic bulb 5.0. But the one you have should do just fine.

2: I’m not a fan of black lights and I think that it’s probably sucking up your humidity. Got any pictures of your tank? I’ve heard putting a heat pad under the water or real moist area on the tank will increase the humidity a good bit and also increase the temp in the tank as well. Also, If you have a screen top, you can cover the open areas with aluminum foil or something like that to keep the heat and moister in which will let you have a less watt light and keep the humidity up.

3: I don’t think you really need one, Just like I said, I like to have one anyways. I normal put a UVA on mine but sometimes Ill throw on a UVB bulb. Also, if you have live plants UVB is a must really.

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Cody

01/15/11  07:29pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 2198576

WTF/Blue Dumpy question

My frogs are in exo 18x18x24. I have the uvb 26 watts in the hood. resting on the screen lid I have a 40 watt red bulb and a 40 watt reg light bulb. Be careful with a higher wattage as they could get burned if they get too close. My climbing vines are about 4 ins from the lid and they tend to sit under the light bulb. Measured with a temp gun there are certain hot spots near those lights even though the cage temp says 80 degrees the air near the floor of the cage goes as low as 68 degrees but they can move around in and out of the heat. in the winter I add an under tank heater and the substrate nears 80 degrees air temp in the cage stays the same so the thermometers are a little misleading.My 3 frogs are very healthy and active in this set up. becareful with water near a uth. It could crack the glass. also make sure the frogs are around the same size.I have cocoa fiber real plants and lots of climbing vines and wood.

01/17/11  02:57pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area