Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Grinzy   Crotus   Grinzy  
 Member  Message

Grinzy
View Profile

Baby tree frogs

I live in the north west corner of NJ. I have a fountain on my deck, and in July and August a gray tree frog deposited eggs into the fountain. I didn’t see her do it the first time but watched her do it the second time. These tadpoles? haven’t developed legs yet and I’m concerned that they are going to freeze before they mature enough to go on their way. Is there something I should do? Should I move them to a lake or pond? I have been getting algae from a local lake for them which they seem to respond favorably too, but it hasn’t seemed to help them develop. I haven’t seen any indication that any of them have died as I try to check them everyday.

If someone has some insight into this I’d appreciate it. There are probably 75 to 100 in the fountain.

Thanks

10/07/10  09:50am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Grinzy   In reference to Message Id: 2179544

Baby tree frogs

Why not take them inside and set up a small tank to raise them in? A ten gallon tank would probably work, with just about 6 inches or more of spring water, some gravel on the bottom, and a few aquatic plants like Anacharis to help oxygenate the water. You could use the same algae as food... otherwise maybe it would be a good idea to move them to the pond... however, I think that they are used to cold northern climates and are able to survive perfectly well under ice, you only need to worry about them if the water they are in totally freezes solid...

10/08/10  03:42pm

Grinzy
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2179788

Baby tree frogs

Thanks. I did move them into my house. Since I was putting algea and plants into the fountain, along with leaves and things falling in the water got quite dark on the bottom. Once I start transferring these guys into their new home, I realized there are more than I had originally thought. I would guess there are probably 150+. They all seem healthy, and my wife was on another site where someone suggested feeding them boiled spinage and romaine lettuce. I’ve been doing this twice a day now, (they seem to prefer the romaine) and have noticed some new growth as far as back legs but nothing in the front yet. I’m not sure what I’ll do with them once they are ready to leave their water world as that’s a lot of frogs. I assume they hibernate in the winter. If they’re indoors would they still hibernate? If not does that throw off their internal clocks?

10/20/10  01:04pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area