Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Bassplayinfool   Gretchenellie   Hoppy  
 Member  Message

Bassplayinfool
View Profile

Broken leg

One of my American green tree frogs escaped! I found him in the middle of the living room floor with the cat. One of his back legs is badly broken. It just kind of dangles and bends at all the wrong angles and in all the wrong places. He hid for a couple days but is now getting around although slowly and quite awkward. It doesn’t seem to be bothering him that his leg always trails behind him like a tail except when he’s perched on the glass at the top of the tank then he somehow manages to get it up and under him so i can’t really even tell that there is a problem. I have not witnessed him eat but he’s looking pretty chubby so I am assuming that he is getting the job done somehow. Should I just leave the leg or should I try to have it removed? That first night I almost put him out of his misery as I didn’t see how he could survive. I’m glad I didn’t go to that extreme.

12/24/08  01:54pm

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Bassplayinfool   In reference to Message Id: 1920012

Broken leg

keep the environment clean and sterile.

if it is left to heal on its own and he is still eating and acting normally, he should be fine..

amputation of an amphibian leg is extremely hard and would most likely end up with the frog dying.

there is nothing you can do ( medically ) for him ( ex. splints, wraps, creams, ect ) as it would only cause more damage.

good luck!

12/24/08  06:01pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Gretchenellie   In reference to Message Id: 1920168

Broken leg

Hope your frog is doing ok....

Your tank set up should be done so that he needs not to climb for warmth or anything else etc... Some frogs will survive a broken limb.. It depends on the break (where and how) as many can go into shock and die...

Your tank temps should always be like a sick tank temps of 85f... this helps healing...

Ramps to water dish etc should be looked into and a low cave is ideal.....

Branches should be wider than normal as many will climb some but balance could be an issue..

There are many things you can do to make him comfortable....

HOPPY

12/30/08  12:43pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area