Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Kaihaualani   Phantom2921   Hoppy   Kaihaualani   Kaihaualani   Rockmaster   Kaihaualani   Whitie   Kaihaualani   Hazzah   Kaihaualani   Hazzah   Whitie   Kaihaualani   Hoppy   Kaihaualani   Hoppy   Kaihaualani   Cappy8   Kaihaualani  
 Member  Message

Kaihaualani
View Profile

My WTF is SICK!!! please HELP!!!

I have a male WTF that has been acting really weird for the past month. He used to be very active, climbing around hopping and being vibrant green but now he stays in his little coconut all the time unless i move him out of it but then he quickly scurries back. Hes always a muddy brown but for some reason when i take him out and put him on my house plants he turns green...but iv cleaned the tank out and put in new coco-fiber and cleaned all the fake plants. so i don’t know what could be the problem. He used to eat about 4-5 crickets every other day now I’m lucky if he eats 2...but even when he eats, i don’t see poop...i have another frog in with him, a female and shes very active and normal and i know its her fecal matter not his, cuz like i said he only sits in his coconut...what could be wrong with him! Which brings me to another question. My female WTF has a white bubbly thing on her hind leg, looks kinda like a blister, and i can move it side to side, like it can slide around under her skin..FREAKS ME OUT! idk what it is!!! PLEASE HELP!

07/03/08  01:15pm

Phantom2921
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1781701

Can you post any pictures?

07/03/08  07:48pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1781701

Is it only because of color you think he’s sick?...

Whites turn a number of colors regularily and don’t stay bright green constantly...Some of course do but others don’t....

First there is no gurantee of coloration....The best thing to do here is add the color that you want using plants either live or silk etc so he will camoflauge to the colors...Insure you follow all the rules of replanting if using live plants and check for toxic issues etc.... Ask here on specific plants if your unsure..

In his cave its normal that he be darker..he will match his environment/surroundings...

Its not wise to be placing your frog on house plants..Most plants are toxic to your frog and contain fertilizers and sprays for insects etc......

You really need to get your female using mela fix and as both have been kept together I would treat both frogs... This means getting a sick tank set up or using the tank you have as a sick tank...

If your not sure on the sick tank issue or how to do it please ask...There is certain temps etc.. Its easier to control illness if frogs are kept in seperate tanks.. You need to know if he is passing waste and what exactly the issue is on eating like is it hunting or female hogging food etc..

HOPPY

07/03/08  08:39pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1782197

i know that they turn colors but he is a constant brown, but when i take him out its like hes better or somthing.
btw my house plants iv wiped down often and replaced the dirt that it came with, with organic non-fertilized soil just for them. Potato (who i think is sick) he has changed in the past month, he stays in his coconut all day long, i can leave him alone for like 2 days and he wouldnt leave his coconut , which he never did, he was always active and looking lively on the fake plants. But the thing is that they are the same fake plants that he was around when i first got him 2 months ago so i dont see how it could be the plants. I just took out the eco-earth cause i think that might have something to do with it and just put paper towel in there for now to see if he looks better.
Also i feed them by hand so both of them get an equal amount i dont just throw them in the tank or else the female WILL eat them all. But when i try to hand feed him (like i always do) he will eat one, and maybe two and then he will hop on my leg and try to hide in the crevice of my leg. Also idk if maybe hes constipated but i havent seen a poop from him in a while. when i do my daily cleaning i only see one poop in there and i know its from Sammy (the female)
I can send a pic of whats on Sammys leg, i pushed on it today and the blister thing split into two and could still slide around.

07/03/08  08:59pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1782220

im actually new to this forum as a member but iv been reading from it for a while but im trying to upload pics of Sammy’s leg but i dont see how, can someone tell me how so i can find out whats wrong with my baby? thanks!

07/03/08  09:12pm

Rockmaster
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1782236

well i really dont know anything about your female but i will email some friends and see if they have any ideas but about your other one and its color issue i think its probably doing wat the other fellow said his in his cave where its darker so he tries to blend in by being darker plus its cooler in there which makes him slower and might affect his hunting and appetite usually when you use less you take less food wat is your humitity and temp at. and when was the last time you did any serious cleaning to his area cause mine acts simuliar when i do alot to the area and it takes him about 1 to 2 weeks sometimes to adjust and sometimes they get darker

07/04/08  07:04pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Rockmaster   In reference to Message Id: 1783031

i had tried a new substance before and i took it all out cleaned it and ow hes looking better, i acctually caught him in his water dish yesterday which i havent seen in a LONG time...so i think he will be fine thanks for the help everyone on that. but if someone can tell me how to post pics id like help on finding out whats wrong with my female, its the strangest thing, if anything id guess it was fatty tissue thats some how were it shouldnt be...but i can post pics if someone can tell me how, this is only my 3rd day as a memeber.thanks!!!

07/05/08  12:45pm

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1783470

To post a pic, put your pictures on something like photo bucket and then all you do is copy and past it in your message.

Link

07/05/08  12:54pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Phantom2921   In reference to Message Id: 1782131

OK I GOT PICS UP>>WHAT IS IT???

OK here is Sammy with the white thing and watch as i can move it...btw she shows no sign of pain so idk

I moved it a little bit

and theres were im able to push it...
anyone know what this is??

07/05/08  02:21pm

Hazzah
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1783574

possibly bigger pics?

07/05/08  03:24pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Hazzah   In reference to Message Id: 1783631

ok my computer is being weird i cant get the others to go any bigger..but in the only one that is big that white thing there i can move around her leg. it doesnt seem to hurt her when i move it but it slides side to side underneath her skin...sorry thats the best i can do but anything helps!!

07/05/08  03:58pm

Hazzah
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1783659

i cant realy help u to me that looks like an air bubble of some sort........

07/05/08  06:20pm

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1783574

If she is eating and going potty fine, I would just let her be. Keep an eye on her, but try not to handle her unless need be.
Did you put some type of gravel or drainage under your substrate?
Can you show us a pic of your tank?

07/05/08  06:59pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Whitie   In reference to Message Id: 1783818

ok ya i only handle her to feed her i hand feed them, thats how i noticed it though cuz i do inspections when i feed them to make sure nothing looks different but i did it again today and the white thing went down so maybe itll be gone somtime soon. my tank has eco earth in it and 2 fake plants and a water bowl but in the past week i took the eco earth out(it was a different brand than usual) and am now just using a paper towel and they seem to be doing fine, i never used the paper towel system but now that i am both frogs seem to be doing better, especial now that that bubble thing is going down. thanks for all that helped me!

07/05/08  10:02pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1784005

I only see one pic so I hope thats all there is but it looks fine from the one I see...

I would let her be too for awhile and just keep an eye if anything like watery stools appear..

Insure your water is treated and changed daily.. Vital with new frogs in case its bacterial..

It could be just a stress factor from ’new’ and under stress their own internal parasite load can increase. Reduce the stress by only little handling etc and insure temps are up high and keep humdity low for a week or two say 40% to insure nothing can start if its stress related..

HOPPY

07/06/08  09:49am

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1784311

yes i was te only one i had found on her, i just found it weird that it could move..but it got smaller yesterday some how. i think the paper towel helped it must of been the eco earth irritating her or somthing cuz shes had it for a while and just yesterday it went down.
Thanks everyone for your help!

07/06/08  01:07pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1784455

Kai:
I saw on another post on your handling your frog... It could of been some type of irritant...

So insure he is always on a clean surface that has just been wiped with clean water like your hands....

Just a suggestion if you want to place him down on a table or anything.. I always use/put a pce of papertowel when I take mine out if I need to put them anywhere.....

Hope he is ok now.. :)

HOPPY

07/08/08  11:51am

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1786948

yes shes better, i didnt handle her during her sick time. thanks for the help

07/08/08  12:01pm

Cappy8
View Profile

Message To: Kaihaualani   In reference to Message Id: 1786964

hey!

omg, that "blister" sore thing on your frog’s leg looks exactly like mine, except its on his hindleg, not the back!
Mine started out with one bubbly looking blister then it started spreading, i’ve used the mela fix, but it didn’t work!
however, duke was behaving normal, eating fine, pooping, active, hopping around and hes always green.
i first detected the bubble blister thing in february.
you can see one of my posts on " Bumps on hindleg harmful?".
something like that.
Hoppy was helping me, i have to do the mela fix treatment again, but this time probably move him into a smaller sick tank...

hope your frogs better!

Lisa

07/08/08  05:24pm

Kaihaualani
View Profile

Message To: Cappy8   In reference to Message Id: 1787433

at least someone knows what im talking about!!! hoppy wasnt sure what it was but i didnt try the mela fex, but its gotten smaller the last i saw it, its probably gone now!!! how yours is getting better too!!!

07/09/08  02:14am

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area