Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Nukem95   Redclawguy   Snakecharmer713   Gretchenellie   Hoppy   Hoppy   Snakecharmer713  
 Member  Message

Nukem95
View Profile

How much can you handle wtf

My friend has a WTF that she holds every day, she said that if she doesn’t he croaks for hours on end. I have only held my frog twice and I used latex gloves. She just picks Mr. piggy up and holds him or sets him by the computer and he climbs up her shoulder and sits there. My mom ( I am using her sign in) will not let me hold our frog alot because she said that he will get sick. But my friends frog Mr. Piggy has not gotten sick. I have held Mr. Piggy more than my own frog Barracuda. My mom told me that I should ask the forum how much they should be handled. I wash with water for a long time before I hold him. thanks

06/15/08  10:05pm

Redclawguy
View Profile

Message To: Nukem95   In reference to Message Id: 1762213

well some say never hold ur frog but i have had mine for two years and i hold her alot but i wash my hands (no soap) but thats just me.

06/15/08  11:37pm

Snakecharmer713
View Profile

Message To: Redclawguy   In reference to Message Id: 1762306

Well I am no expert but my baby...Mr. Frog...cries if we don’t hold him. I use hand sanitizer after I hold each of my pets. {the reps that is..and my frog} I hold him every other day but I always scratch his head before bedtime...if not he cries all night...and he makes my wife cry...all night..till she goes and talks to him and gives him love. He is a spoiled frog/kid...and he even sits on the laptop while we type. Has his own little lepord print pad, so he won’t be hurt on the keyboard.

06/16/08  01:34am

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Snakecharmer713   In reference to Message Id: 1762370

it is not good practice to make holding amphibians "routine".

for one, oils from our skin/hands can permeate their skin and cause severe damage. amphibians absorb things through their skin, so any residue of soap, perfume, lotion, etc can harm them very badly.
they can also become sick and stressed from too much handling.
their skin is easily ripped and can lead to sores and infections.
bones are also easily broken with forceful movement from the cage to the computer desk, shoulders, etc.

handling amphibians should be kept to a minimum and should only happen when you are making health checks, cleaning the tank, etc.

06/16/08  01:39am

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Gretchenellie   In reference to Message Id: 1762374

Some whites are very tame and bond well with their human partners...

Usually what I do is upon feeding and changing the water in my Whites tank mine come to me and climb on without any coaxing from me.. Now two other whites I have don’t...

Before they began coming to me on their own I kept routine feedings and container fed them...so would use this opportunity to hold them for a few minutes.... Then once they learned that I/you mean food hopefully they will come to you on their own. Some don’t so be aware of this....
If they never learn then only feeding times should be used for holding them or examining them....

I’m not a fan of them climbing around on furniture etc just because I worry over bacteria etc as others have said. But each owner when it comes to handling should know the risks and stress of each frog..

Having said that keep in mind its not good to keep any frog away from their water or heat source for more than 15 min at any given time..

*Please not this does not apply to other species only the Whites on this post...

HOPPY

06/16/08  08:16am

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Gretchenellie   In reference to Message Id: 1762374

LOL...That should read; please ’Note’....

HOPPY

06/16/08  08:17am

Snakecharmer713
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1762484

Ya. i forgot to say that we only have Mr. frog out for 10 min or so a day. My wife pets him in his home before bed. He has bonded well with her but only some with me. And do people realy let there frogs run the house? I would be scared he would get hurt!

06/17/08  06:53am

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area