Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Imderanged   MacinMan   ILoveGreen   Imderanged   MacinMan   Hazzah   Rrrragdoll  
 Member  Message

Imderanged
View Profile

Boys and Girls

I have two white tree frogs, that I have posted about here before. I have seperate enclosures for them and have had them quarentined for months. I THINK the blue is a boy and the green is a girl, because the blue vocalizes and the green doesn’t. I put them together today to see how they would respond before getting a big terrarium. The blue seems to LIKE the green, but the green one, who I think is female puffed up her throat! do females do this? What could it mean?

06/11/08  03:11am

MacinMan
View Profile

Message To: Imderanged   In reference to Message Id: 1757683

Boys and Girls

Females Do NOT puff the throat. that is a male, the puffed throat indicates a vocal sac so chances are you have two males.
It’s ok though, male white’s can live together without problems , White’s are social frogs and not aggressive so shouldn’t fight.

06/11/08  09:11am

ILoveGreen
View Profile

Message To: MacinMan   In reference to Message Id: 1757758

Boys and Girls

They can live together just fine...but make sure they are both eating good.

The Green WTF looks like it had a nose rub problem....were you putting anything on that?

What size tank do you have them both in?

06/11/08  10:46am

Imderanged
View Profile

Message To: ILoveGreen   In reference to Message Id: 1757818

Boys and Girls

Wow, so the green ones a male? He never vocalizes! About the green ones nose, I think it’s just the carmera. He tends to change from brown to green to brown again, and he was changing colors at the time. When you look at him there is no sore or anthing there. They are in seperate tanks. I have the green one in a 12X12X18 Exo Terra (which I figured out comes out to about 10 gal) and the blue one is in a regular 10 gal. Both are planted tanks. Honestly, when I got the Exoterra, I thought it would be big enough, but I’m not crazy about it for the size of my frog. The Blue one I didn’t know I was getting. I went to a PETCO to get some crickets and they were selling him for $20!!! How could I say no to a bluephase for $20??? I sent up the ten for him always figuring on it being temorary. I was planning on putting him with the other, but I wanted to let him grow some, because I felt the size difference was too much. And also obviously I had to quarentine him. Now I am in the process of figuring out what i want to get for the upgrade. I was thinking the 18X18X24 Zoo Med Terrarium, but I haven’t decided yet. Any Ideas?

06/11/08  02:55pm

MacinMan
View Profile

Message To: Imderanged   In reference to Message Id: 1757986

Boys and Girls

Remember what I told you a while back though, not all males will call, however females will produce sounds too. but only males have a vocal sack that blows up and croak contagiously and deep females from research appear to quack a few times and usually when stressed, or in response to a male. I’ve also never heard of a female puffing out her throat.

06/11/08  03:04pm

Hazzah
View Profile

Message To: MacinMan   In reference to Message Id: 1757993

Boys and Girls

go to this site Link
after you are there click on reptile on the left side and im buying some stuff off this site tomorrow :D idk if that helps but it has zoo med and exo terra tanks

06/11/08  07:37pm

Rrrragdoll
View Profile

Message To: Imderanged   In reference to Message Id: 1757986

Boys and Girls

That is a great choice for those two (18x18x24).

Do you have a store in mind for getting it? If not, petsolutions has it for $99 plus shipping, but you can make a big order and get the same shipping. I’d recommend the Zilla gauge and the background for the tank. Also they have EcoEarth for $1.99. They also have nice wood pieces, lots of good stuff, and if you order it all together it will be much cheaper than any stores.

Tank Link
Background Link
GaugeLink

06/11/08  08:02pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area