Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Maliuromastyx   Lacerta17   Whitie   MonopolyBag   Froggy&Gribbit   Whitie   Rrrragdoll  
 Member  Message

Maliuromastyx
View Profile

Wtf question???????

how many green tree frogs and whites tree frogs can i keep in a tank that is 48’long 12’wide and 21’tall???

04/20/08  08:50pm

Lacerta17
View Profile

Message To: Maliuromastyx   In reference to Message Id: 1710577

Wtf question???????

I think rule of thumb is 20 gal for the first dumpy treefrog and additional 10 gal. for each treefrog you add after that. (example: 2 frogs - 30 gal) hope this helps.

04/20/08  08:59pm

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Maliuromastyx   In reference to Message Id: 1710577

Wtf question???????

This will tell you what size your tank is.
Link

You really shouldn’t be putting two different species in one tank.
Take a look back at some of the other post and it will explain why.

04/21/08  06:58am

MonopolyBag
View Profile

Message To: Whitie   In reference to Message Id: 1710946

Wtf question???????

Keep the frogs separate! No matter what other people say or how pet stores keep them, keep them separate. BTW that is a 55 Long, and I would not recommend using that for either frog unless you stand it tall way up. GTFs work well in a 10 or 15 g vert tank, and to be honest, dumpy tree frogs, I am not sure what size is best, but I am guessing a 29 g or something else that is tall like that. A tall 45 g.

04/21/08  09:23am

Froggy&Gribbit
View Profile

Message To: MonopolyBag   In reference to Message Id: 1711038

Wtf question???????

I am going off the last post on the size as I couldn’t be bothered measuring it out but anyway if it is in fact a 55 long it is fine for WTF........... Unlike most tree frogs whites spend alot of time on the ground. More so than climbing. So long as you give them alot of branches to climb on too that will work great.
20g = 1 WTF
30g = 2 wtf
40g = 3 WTF
50g = 4 WTF
I do not know how many GTF can go in there as I do not keep them. I do know they are usually kept in smaller tanks than WTF.

so you could fit 4 in there but remember the more room they have the better. I have a 60g tank with 2 WTF in it and if I could I’d give them a bigger enclosure!!!!

DO NOT mix the GTF and WTF lots of problems, you’ll end up with sick or dead frogs!! As stated check the other posts. WTF will eat the GTF and the requirements are not the same WTF need warmer. They will compete for territory and space leaving one animal highly stressed and susceptible to sickness plus the parasites that one species carry can be fatal to others. This is just a brief overview as why they should not be mixed.

04/21/08  11:36am

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Froggy&Gribbit   In reference to Message Id: 1711140

Wtf question???????

WELL SAID, Froggy&Gribbit.!!!!

I agree totally on what you have posted!

04/21/08  12:45pm

Rrrragdoll
View Profile

Message To: MonopolyBag   In reference to Message Id: 1711038

Wtf question???????

Quote:

BTW that is a 55 Long, and I would not recommend using that for either frog unless you stand it tall way up. GTFs work well in a 10 or 15 g vert tank,

The tank is a 55 gal but you wouldn’t want to put it on end for either frog. It is already 21" high which is fine for either species, not to mention I don’t think the glass would hold if you put the weight on a side like that. We usually say for tree frogs to put 10 gals or 20 gals on end because they are only 12 and 16" high normally so putting them on end would get you 20 or 24" respectively.

Greens are smaller and you could keep maybe 5 or so in there, but Whites would be a max of 4. Even so I would start with 2 and work up if you wanted because you will be surprised at how much they will eat and it will cost you. If they are babies start them off in a smaller tank while you get this one going (planted etc).

Also like said, you don’t mix these guys, the whites will eat the greens. I would recommend the whites over the greens, more active and less reclusive.

04/22/08  02:03am

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area