Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Camelboy456   Ahoppinmom   Camelboy456   Whitie   Hoppy   Camelboy456   Hoppy   Camelboy456   Whitie   Greentreefroglover   Froggy&Gribbit   Greentreefroglover   Camelboy456   Greentreefroglover   Camelboy456   MacinMan   Whitie   Camelboy456   Froggy&Gribbit   Hoppy   Daniel ungawa   Daniel ungawa  
 Member  Message

Camelboy456
View Profile

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

My frogs are in like a coma and one is moving its eyes and toes and his skin is falling off his knee. The other looks about the same but is changing colors! Help!!

02/02/08  01:50pm

Ahoppinmom
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606023

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

i’m new to owning wtf’s, but have seen bunches of posts here about shedding. maybe search forum for shedding and what the frogs do when they are doing this. sorry i’m not much help.

02/02/08  02:15pm

Camelboy456
View Profile

Message To: Ahoppinmom   In reference to Message Id: 1606054

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought about that, but one of them is dead I think and the other it looks like its bone sticking outt not new skin.

02/02/08  02:19pm

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606061

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you show a pic of your tank and frog?
Give us alittle more info.
How is your tank set up? What all do you have in it?
What is the heat and humidity in the tank?
How long have you had these frogs?
What are you feeding them and are you dusting it with vitamins?
Had they been eating and going potty normal, how long has this been going on?

02/02/08  03:01pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Whitie   In reference to Message Id: 1606117

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove the frogs imediately from whatever envioronment they are in and put in a sick type tank....just a container of sorts like an icecream container will do.....

Put paper towel on the bottom.... dip each frog in clean treated water (put in so they can either lay or sit in it for a min or two)...place in ice cream container with a plate on top so they can’t escape...
Put a desk light above the container for warmth.... check on them in 1/2 hour...

During this time set up a sick tank....85f, paper towel, little deco, darkened..

If they have survived move to sick tank now ...Do the mela fix dip (mela fix instructions on forum post) and put in sick tank...

Let me know how it goes.... From your post they have been effected by something toxic...I’m going by the little information you have given...

I will check this post later.. Good luck..

HOPPY

02/02/08  03:57pm

Camelboy456
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1606214

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The girl is dead for sure and the I think the boy just died, I recently changed them from dirt to repticarpet and the night before they were fine they were jumping around and singing, so I don’t want could have happened. The skin on the boys leg completely fell off, and his eyes got whit dots on them like the girl did before he died and he stopped moving. I am so confused and if there were chemicals that they were exposed to I want to make sure that my bearded dragon is not exposed, is there a way to tell? Thanks.

02/02/08  04:29pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606254

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can’t say for sure...aerasols etc...

If you just changed the substrate its most likely something to do with it.... Some of the repti carpets are very rough on the skin... There is one thats like felt on the bottom which is soft and the other a silk type grass on the top.. I don’t like them; there is issues with all substrates mind you...

Some of the repti carpets that I have seen are plastic....not only with frogs is it rough it can be toxic. Plastic with them under lights heats and gives off toxins..

Get the boy right away..slim chance but you never know..... Sorry for your loss. Its tough when things were so well beforehand..

Keep in mind that I never change a winning game unless it puts them at risk. Frogs stress severly with change. Your frogs may of liked burrowing before so tried to do so in the carpet injurying themselves....

there is alot of answers that are going through my mind. First though is to get hopefully the one alive away from that area...

HOPPY

02/02/08  04:47pm

Camelboy456
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1606272

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boy is for sure dead now, and I feel awful, I knew that it was important for the bearded dragons to have repticarpet, and I had a hard time cleaning out the cage with the dirt in it. They did burrow alot and I feel so bad about changing it. I’m gonna make sure everything is ok with the bearded dragon.

02/02/08  08:44pm

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606254

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this repticarpet new? Have you washed it before? Had you used this carpet for something else before?
I really don’t think the carpet it self would have done that, unless it had been washed in detergent of some kind and it didn’t get rinsed and dried properly. There are several people that use it and have not had any problems. Did you change any thing else in the tank when you took the dirt out? Did you clean the tank or decorations with soap or something that might not have gotten rinsed out?

02/02/08  09:27pm

Greentreefroglover
View Profile

Message To: Whitie   In reference to Message Id: 1606680

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the repticarpet for my peron tree frogs and i used it for my whites as well ive used it for over a year now and i have had no problems at all with it, when i wash it i wash it just in plain water ring it out well and put it back in, repticarpet is used for reptiles (lizards, dragons etc)
repticarpet is used with bearded dragons and there environment is much hotter then a frog tank a BD’s tank is for a young beardie 110 f and adult bd is 95f a frog tank is 80f so the carpet would have to put up with the heat, whats safe for lizards are safe for frogs just like whats safe for fish is safe for frogs.
there is carpet that you can get from a $2 shop that looks similar to repticarpet though i wouldnt use that type as its not made to with stand heat and could leak out toxins.

So the problem your having with your frogs i dont think its the repticarpet causeing the problem unless you have used chemicals on it to wash it.

im sorry to hear about your frogs. pictures would of been good for everyone to see whats happening.

02/02/08  10:05pm

Froggy&Gribbit
View Profile

Message To: Greentreefroglover   In reference to Message Id: 1606763

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but your post was a bit confusing. Was the beardy and the frogs in together??

02/02/08  10:17pm

Greentreefroglover
View Profile

Message To: Froggy&Gribbit   In reference to Message Id: 1606790

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

No the beardie and frog are housed together we are decussing the repticarpet witch is used with reptiles (bearded dragons etc)

02/02/08  10:47pm

Camelboy456
View Profile

Message To: Greentreefroglover   In reference to Message Id: 1606820

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah the beardie and the frogs are not in the same cage, sorry for not getting pictures up but they were fine earlier and when I found them the girl was pretty much dead and my camera didn’t work right. I’m gonna wait until the ground thaws here and bury them.

02/02/08  11:07pm

Greentreefroglover
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606842

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

if your going to wait for the ground to thaw to bury them put the frogs in a bag and then in the freezer that way they dont start to deconpose and smell. then when the ground is thawed burry them.

02/02/08  11:22pm

Camelboy456
View Profile

Message To: Greentreefroglover   In reference to Message Id: 1606865

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I know, lol. I don’t want to just throw them away or flush them.

02/02/08  11:55pm

MacinMan
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606899

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I’m sorry to hear this, I finally caught up on this post, it really sucks to lose a pet, especially when you’ve done everything possible to rescue him/her. I hope no one takes this wrong, but I have an underlying "I hope nothing happens to my frogs" I paid for them with credit and lately when I’ve gotten something on credit, by the time I have it paid off it’s either broken, or breaking (mainly had the issue with routers) but still I can hope the frogs don’t fall into unhappy place as well. anyway, maybe when your burry, put a little flower, or cross with their name over the spot. (if they had names) I assume at this point in the post, they have both passed, If i have been reading correctly.

Clint

02/03/08  03:57am

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1606899

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry for your loss Camelboy456.

If you are up to it, please answer the questions I asked in another post, so we can narrow it down on what happened. I don’t believe it was the carpet and if we can figure it out it might just help someone else.

again I am so sorry for your loss.

02/03/08  09:10am

Camelboy456
View Profile

Message To: Whitie   In reference to Message Id: 1607159

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

srry I didn’t answer all the questions,
Was this repticarpet new?
yes, I had it for a week.
Have you washed it before?
No
Had you used this carpet for something else before?
Yes, I use the same brand for my bearded dragon, but no the same strip of carpet.
I really don’t think the carpet it self would have done that, unless it had been washed in detergent of some kind and it didn’t get rinsed and dried properly. There are several people that use it and have not had any problems.
Did you change any thing else in the tank when you took the dirt out?
I added a long that they had when they were younger and I took out the backdrop.
Did you clean the tank or decorations with soap or something that might not have gotten rinsed out?
I didn’t rinse off the plants that were hanging on the backdrops or the log.

Hope that helped

02/04/08  08:44am

Froggy&Gribbit
View Profile

Message To: Camelboy456   In reference to Message Id: 1608958

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

awww sorry about your frogs. I would think that they were exposed to somthing toxic.
If you are certain it was not the repticarpet then I would begin to look elsewhere. But where did you have the repticarpet stored?? Possibly on or near something that could have contaminated it??

Think of other possible toxins. Air fresheners or plug ins close to the frogs. Window cleaners used near the frogs, perfumes or cologne. Bug spray........... Just things to think about if you choose to get another frog.

02/04/08  06:35pm

Hoppy
View Profile

Message To: Froggy&Gribbit   In reference to Message Id: 1609588

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWW Sorry camel boy....

Repti carpet can be safe if the right kind....

There is many kinds of Repti carpet though. There is some like silk plans which is soft and fine...Just have to watch misting. There is some though that have rubber backing and others with hard plastic grass etcc....... Depending on the tank heat can play element to toxicity.. In making of some products they have an acid sealer etc.... As frogs absorb through skin it has quite a different effect than any reptile. Most reptiles can lay on something and not worry about abosorbancy. There is also issues of humidity...some reptiles require dry terrain compared to the moist with frogs... water mixes with the chemicals in the carpet turn into a deadly combination.... I could go on and on but you all get the picture...

Whenever something new is added to a tank with the inhabitants taken ill; it becomes suspect and justly so......

Unless anything else around was toxic to them I would say it was the new carpet...

I have found through much research many issues with carpets and frogs...buyer beware..

HOPPY

02/06/08  01:29pm

Daniel ungawa
View Profile

Message To: Hoppy   In reference to Message Id: 1612389

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Camelboy, if you ever get anohter one, make sure it isnt axedently sprayed with chemicals instead of the water.

04/01/08  08:29pm

Daniel ungawa
View Profile

Message To: Daniel ungawa   In reference to Message Id: 1685586

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk charlie sry for your loss. dede!! Unguwa!!

04/01/08  08:53pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area