Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tree Frogs Forum

Phantom2921   Sparkey!   Whitie   Phantom2921   Rrrragdoll  
 Member  Message

Phantom2921
View Profile

Need Fast Answers!

Hey guys, I’m about to go to PetsMart in like a few hours and I need some info.

Can live plants grow in bed-a-beast or any coco bedding?
The live plants in the fish area, are all of them okay with White’s?
Do silk plants help hold water for humidity?

I have $50 dollars to spend and I want to upgrade the tank a little. I need to change the bedding and strip the tank. Don’t worry, I will NOT use soap. It’s a big no-no. I just want it seem more like "home" for him.

*Also, I tried green paper backing instead of brown, and he’s turning more green. I’m just exciting since I’m still learning.

01/20/08  10:38am

Sparkey!
View Profile

Message To: Phantom2921   In reference to Message Id: 1586688

Need Fast Answers!

Plant Will Grow In Coco bedding and some plants will grow directly in water. and silk plant hold water pretty well

01/20/08  11:55am

Whitie
View Profile

Message To: Phantom2921   In reference to Message Id: 1586688

Need Fast Answers!

Most of the plants that are sold at pet stores are for fish aquariums, they would be safe for your frogs, but they need to be in water.
There are several plants that you can put in the bedding that will grow well. Just make sure you rinse them well, roots and leaves both sides before planting. Make sure you have a layer of gravel under the bedding so the roots will have plenty of drainage or you will get root rot. Live plants are better for helping with the humidity.
Pothos are good for your tank and they grow quickly. You want to pick the plants that are strong, cause these little chubby guys and be rough on small plants. I have found pothos less expensive at a grocery store, then at Walmart or anywhere else.
Good Luck and show us some pics of the new tank when done!! If you have any plants you are not sure of being safe be sure to research them before putting them in.

01/20/08  12:31pm

Phantom2921
View Profile

Message To: Whitie   In reference to Message Id: 1586843

Need Fast Answers!

Yea, the ones at place I went, were all terraium plants not aqautic. I decided to that later-perhaps in the summer. Instead, I bought some T-Rex Jungle Bed (there wasn’t any Bed-a-Beast left). It’s the same thing, but I just have pick out some chunks that Howie could accidentaly swallow, but it said on the bag that reallys grips onto moisture. I also bought some silk plants. I had plastic before and I think he like these better since he likes to sleep in them.

01/20/08  01:56pm

Rrrragdoll
View Profile

Message To: Phantom2921   In reference to Message Id: 1586943

Need Fast Answers!

Honestly if you can get the Eco-earth or similar bedding I’d use that over the Bed-a-Beast type because it doesn’t have any chunks and sticks and stuff that could be dangerous. The EE is only shredded cocoa.

As far as plants, if you want them in the water area then the pet store ones are fine, rinse them well as many end up with snails on them, don’t put too much in the water area, you can end up with algae.

Personally I buy my plants from places like KMart (when they have them), Walmart, Steins (garden center) etc. Pothos is one of the staple plants for vivs, I’ll put a link down for others. I currently have a money tree, dracancea, lilly, bromolaid and some creeping fig waiting to be planted.

Main thing is to remove them from their soil and wash the whole thing really well. Like already said, put down a drainage layer (gravel or leca) first. I like to pack down my EE after it is soaked so that it is less fluffy and messy and more like earth.

Plant link

01/20/08  02:41pm

Back to Tree Frogs Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area